A coach that has not been mentioned

cale

Why has Steve Mariucci not been mentioned for consideration? At least, I haven't seen his name brought up. He's a good, smart, strategist. Plus he won a Super Bowl with Steve Young. Didn't he? He's also from the same coaching tree as Gruden.

It seems some guys who have been out of the NFL and/or not doing so well elsewhere are being brought up like Trestman, Weiss and Haslett. Mooch has the experience plus I think he'd fit in well in working class Buffalo.

Yeah, he won't get along with TO - but TO is gone anyway.

If Martz wasn't an arrogant SOB, I'd think he'd be on the short list.

C

Mariucci's failed tenure in Detroit really damaged his "brand." He was fired during his third season after compiling a 15-28 record with the Lions. Of course that organization is difficult to have success in and he worked with Matt Millen which certainly didn't help.

On the other hand Mariucci had a lot of authority while he was in Detroit. It's pretty well known that he was very involved in the decisions to draft wide receivers in the first round for three consecutive years (Charley Rogers 2nd overall in '03, Roy Williams 7th overall in '04, and Mike Williams 10th overall in '05). Two of them are out of football and the remaining one, Roy Williams is currently watching his career die in Dallas.

Besides his failure in Detroit, there's the perception that Mariucci's too nice a guy to be a coach. I think he's probably an excellent offensive coordinator at least but I wonder if he gets another shot at being a head coach.

Why has Steve Mariucci not been mentioned for consideration? At least, I haven't seen his name brought up. He's a good, smart, strategist. Plus he won a Super Bowl with Steve Young. Didn't he? He's also from the same coaching tree as Gruden.

It seems some guys who have been out of the NFL and/or not doing so well elsewhere are being brought up like Trestman, Weiss and Haslett. Mooch has the experience plus I think he'd fit in well in working class Buffalo.

Yeah, he won't get along with TO - but TO is gone anyway.

If Martz wasn't an arrogant SOB, I'd think he'd be on the short list.

C

See Lions, Detroit.

See Lions, Detroit.

Mooch is not a SB winning head coach, he took the 49ers to the playoffs 2x and won some playoff games, he got Steve young at the end of his career and lost a power struggle with Terry Donahue the Niners GM before he was fired. Mooch was 60-43 while with the Niners.

The guy had his hands tied in Detroit by Matt Millen, the retard as CEO/ GM/ President who decided who was drafted and who started. It would be like if Ralph Wilson made all the player decisions and chose all the draft picks, only Wilson is about 1000x smarter then Millen in regards to evaluating talent.

Mariucci was hired because Millen's #1 overall pick QB Joey Harrington wasn't working out and Millen desperatly wanted to see Harrington succeed. Mooch went to Millen and told him it was pointless as he was already ruined by the previous coaching staff, Millen didn't buy it and fired him. Millen never let Mooch fix the O line and that was the reason QB's suffered in Detroit. How Matt Millen retained his job as pres for so long in Detroit is a conundrum.

Personally, I think Mooch would be way better then anyone else the Bills have hired as head coach the last 10 years. He knows the West Coast offense, he knows how to manage a game. Should the Bills hire a really good GM to bring in the proper talent and hire some really decent assistant coaches OC & DC. I could see the Bills in the playoffs within 2 years with Da Mooch!

His style of offense doesn't work in the cold and wind. Next, please.
REALLY?

Gee, wonder what kind of offense have they been running up there in Green Bay all these years with guys like Mike Holmgren, Jon Gruden, Mike McCarthy, Mike Sherman and Steve Mariucci.

Then there might just be another that coached in that sunny, always 90 degree weather down in Denver, like Mike Shanahan.

Then you have Andy Reid in Philly, Brad Childress in Minnesota, John Harbough in Baltimore.

Let's not forget that Matt Millen was his GM in Detroit. No coach could win with that guy as GM, just like no coach can win here with Brandon as GM (or whatever you call him).

More and more I want the Bills to hire a top GM first.

Agreed. Hopefully, once Shanahan moves on without a contract, the Bills will focus on doing this right and getting a good GM. We need someone who can evaluate talent, bring in good scouts and a good coach. I'm not sure bringing in a big name coach and allowing him to run everything is the way to go.

Agreed. Hopefully, once Shanahan moves on without a contract, the Bills will focus on doing this right and getting a good GM. We need someone who can evaluate talent, bring in good scouts and a good coach. I'm not sure bringing in a big name coach and allowing him to run everything is the way to go.

I couldn't agree with you more. I don't get this infatuation with Shanahan. Maybe Ralph has been reading Shanny's press releases. You know the ones that start with "The Genius" Mike Shanahan.

C

"Mooch" is not being mentioned because he sucks.

HE inherited the great 9'ers team that was handed down by a guy who had inherited it from the real architect- Bill Walsh.

Why is nobody mentioning George Seifert? :wallbash:

Mariucci's failed tenure in Detroit really damaged his "brand." He was fired during his third season after compiling a 15-28 record with the Lions. Of course that organization is difficult to have success in and he worked with Matt Millen which certainly didn't help.

On the other hand Mariucci had a lot of authority while he was in Detroit. It's pretty well known that he was very involved in the decisions to draft wide receivers in the first round for three consecutive years (Charley Rogers 2nd overall in '03, Roy Williams 7th overall in '04, and Mike Williams 10th overall in '05). Two of them are out of football and the remaining one, Roy Williams is currently watching his career die in Dallas.

Besides his failure in Detroit, there's the perception that Mariucci's too nice a guy to be a coach. I think he's probably an excellent offensive coordinator at least but I wonder if he gets another shot at being a head coach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Williams_(wide_receiver)

Looks like Mike Williams was a bills fan growin up. Looks like he might be big enough to play O-line (TE)

"Mooch" is not being mentioned because he sucks.

HE inherited the great 9'ers team that was handed down by a guy who had inherited it from the real architect- Bill Walsh.

Why is nobody mentioning George Seifert? :wallbash:

1-15 his last season in carolina and the fact that he'll be 70 by the start of next season.