• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How the conversation went.

Bill Cowher (BC): Hello?

Ralph Wilson (RW): Mr. Cowher, this is Ralph Wilson, the owner of the Buffalo Bills.

BC: Are you guys still in the NFL??

RW: Uhhhhh....yes Bill, yes we are.

BC: What can I do for you Mr. Wislon?

RW: Bill, how would you like to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills next season? I could be persueded into paying you as much as 3 million dollars a year and you only have to pass all personel moves through me...When can you sign?

BC: Ummm, uhhhhhh, well Ralph I gotta say, I don't think that move would work for me right now. I like the city of Buffalo I mean it is close to Pittsburg and I could go get those Rothlis-burgers I like so much,and you have great fans, but you have a marketing guy running your football operation, no linemen, no linebackers, no quarterback, and I'm still not sure your still considered an NFL team?

RW: Bill let me level with you. The fans up here are crazy! Thank god I can hide out in Michigan. They're about to string me up! I'm desperate!!!!!!!!! How about 5 million a year and your own parking space?

BC: No.

RW: 7 million and you can pick your own staff....except special teams coach?

BC: Uhhh, I still have to say no.

RW: OK, Bill what are the chances of getting you to be the next head coach of thre Buffalo Bills? I'll pay whatever it takes.

BC: I'd say....like 1 in a million.

RW: So your sayin there's a chance!!!!!!!! Old Russ will sell 50,000 more tickets with this info, Thank you Mr. Cowher. By the way the offer has been withdrawn. Were going for Jim Haslett....You know he used to play linebacker here! By the way, he coaches for the true love of the game and a 1 year $500,000 contract. Not like some of the greedier coaches out there...But who am I to judge.

BC: Ok thank you for the phone call Mr. Wilson. Goodbye.

RW: You too Bill.....and good luck in Dallas next year!

Yeah....I can hear the call now

"hello coach...this is Ralph Wilson....how about coming to the Bills and being our new coach

COWHER

"hahahahahahahahaha" *click* *Dialtone*

It is more than just the money to the big boys.......

True. It starts with power and organizational potential. There may be more top coaches out there now than at any time in the past. And you guys have named most of them. From an elite coach's point of view, he doesn't really care if it's a big or small market. HCs have no life outside of football, so it doesn't need to be a party town either. Money is great, especially if you can be in one place earning it for several years. So that's the rub. A coach may be thinking if I go there, will I have enough power to do my job in a way that will allow me to be successfull? Will the organization support me by consistently bringing in (and keeping) high quality players? If the answers to both are "yes," then it's time to talk money.

True. It starts with power and organizational potential. There may be more top coaches out there now than at any time in the past. And you guys have named most of them. From an elite coach's point of view, he doesn't really care if it's a big or small market. HCs have no life outside of football, so it doesn't need to be a party town either. Money is great, especially if you can be in one place earning it for several years. So that's the rub. A coach may be thinking if I go there, will I have enough power to do my job in a way that will allow me to be successfull? Will the organization support me by consistently bringing in (and keeping) high quality players? If the answers to both are "yes," then it's time to talk money.

I like to joke around but I agree. I think if we can show a coach these things.

1) We will pay the coach well.

2) We will spend the money neccesssary to make the team consistently competitive.

3) We will put serious money into scounting and player development.

4) The coach will have complete control over the team.

5) We will help the coach build an attitude of winning.

6) We will spend the money to bring in free agents.

Than good coaches will come here.

To be honest I would be happy with Cowher. I'd personaly prefer Marty myself, as I feel he's done more with teams in similar need of building an identity, ala the Browns,Chiefs,Chargers. Where as I feel Cowher was more a product of the structure set up in Pittsburgh, and needs more around him in order to excell. I would be happier then hell if getting Cowher meant getting Dick Lebeau in here as well. I have no ideal hc candidate right now. Honestly more so than a hc I'd be happiest if the entire front office is re-staffed with football savvy individuals, and not the inner Circle of Trust.

remember when we had Dick Lebeau and we sent him packing in favour of Jerry Gray, haha this team is so silly.

Let's say Carolina fires Fox and Cowher takes over. Worst case scenerio we miss out on big name coaches like Shanahan, Marty, Gruden, Holmgren.... Would anyone be against Fox as the next HC of the Bills? Of course I am not saying I want this to happen I am just asking.

Yes I'd be against it. John Fox is one of if not the most conservative coach the league.

Let's say Carolina fires Fox and Cowher takes over. Worst case scenerio we miss out on big name coaches like Shanahan, Marty, Gruden, Holmgren.... Would anyone be against Fox as the next HC of the Bills? Of course I am not saying I want this to happen I am just asking.

No way! He couldn't even beat the Dick!

And ESPN is reporting that Cowher declined.

Cowher contacted, but declines a meeting

Maybe I am way off, but I think Graham is mistating this. Cowher declined because, as has been reported numerous times, he wants to wait until after the season to discuss any Head coaching opportunities. Even Graham's article says that Cowher denied a meeting for now. That does not mean he is not interested and does not mean he won't meet with the Bills at the end of the season. Shanahan said that he won't make a decision until aster the season, but he is willing to have a meeting now. Unless Tim has more info, I think this is much ado about nothing.

The thing I liked most about the NFL report on the Bills and Cowher was that Cowher wants to coach only, no front office duties. That is what I want from the next coach. Hire a GM to be GM and a Coach to coach. I would love Cowher here, I would be happy with Shanhan, Dungy or Holmgren. I'd be fine with Mariucci, Billick or Fassel. I would be disappointed with anyone else(unless we get a kick ass GM and he brings in a young energetic coach, I would be OK with that too).

And ESPN is reporting that Cowher declined.

Cowher contacted, but declines a meeting

Report states that he doesn't want to interview at this time and wants to wait till until after the season. Espn is trying to spin story like Cowher has no interest whatsoever in coaching the Bills. Makes sense that Cowher would want to wait and see what is available at the end of the year.

The Bills should not be in a rush to hire a name coach anyway. They need to get it right this time and hire the right person. I don't care how big or small the name is bring in everybody and don't screw it up.

Agreed, my whole thing is it can't just be <insert big name hc and instant fix> It has to be almost the whole operation. As a whole as Bills fans, we'll be more excited when the front office gets replaced with real football guys, and we can compete on a yearly level with the likes of Belichick and Parcells year after year after year. One guy isn't gonna be Buffalo's football Jesus.

LOL. "Football Jesus". AWESOME