Cowher Contacted By Bills

DMQ

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When you tell a team, "when the season is over", what you're really saying, is that you'd rather coach for other teams. It's slightly better than saying "no", because at least this means if the only teams to fire a coach are Washington, Cleveland and the likes, we may somehow still be the best option.

Another interpretation which is just as reasonable is "I want to look over all of my options and right now it's not clear what they are."

Yes I'd be against it. John Fox is one of if not the most conservative coach the league.

Conservative, not conservative, who cares.

When given the right pieces, does he win? John Fox does.

I'd rather get Shanny, Marty, Cowher or one of the other big boys. But Fox would be an excellent backup plan. Russ Grimm too.

Let's say Carolina fires Fox and Cowher takes over. Worst case scenerio we miss out on big name coaches like Shanahan, Marty, Gruden, Holmgren.... Would anyone be against Fox as the next HC of the Bills? Of course I am not saying I want this to happen I am just asking.

Fox sucks, he is another Jauron.

To be honest I would be happy with Cowher. I'd personaly prefer Marty myself, as I feel he's done more with teams in similar need of building an identity, ala the Browns,Chiefs,Chargers. Where as I feel Cowher was more a product of the structure set up in Pittsburgh, and needs more around him in order to excell. I would be happier then hell if getting Cowher meant getting Dick Lebeau in here as well. I have no ideal hc candidate right now. Honestly more so than a hc I'd be happiest if the entire front office is re-staffed with football savvy individuals, and not the inner Circle of Trust.

I agree with you regarding Cowher but why the hell would you want Mart running this team..If anyone epitomizes choking more than the Bills do in big games he is the poster child for it..If he is really gonna spend the money to revamp this team he should start with a Proven Gm who has built a team and knows who to surround himself with excellent football minded people at aevery level in the organization.From Ball Boy to headd coach and scouting department..Thats the way to build the team..Not one person to be gm/head coach..Lets not get caught up in this Cowher / Shanahan crap..Give me a Builder not a game day coach. Take care of the foundation and the house will be strong....God please no Marty....

Following the Panthers somewhat I can tell you he is waiting to see if Fox is fired. If so he will coach them esp with him living in NC.

Didn't he build in the Raleigh area? (other part of NC)

When you tell a team, "when the season is over", what you're really saying, is that you'd rather coach for other teams. It's slightly better than saying "no", because at least this means if the only teams to fire a coach are Washington, Cleveland and the likes, we may somehow still be the best option.

I don't agree with that.

There is a big difference between what you are claiming and saying "no" because you want to see all of the opportunities in front of you.

He, unlike Shanahan and Holmgren, is also working right now with CBS (and that pitiful attempt at a pregame show- does anyone think the combination of Marino, Esiason, and Sharpe yukking it up are funny?). He's under contract. He may just be saying that to be respectful to CBS and honor his contract (hmm, something Jason Peters needs to learn).

I wouldn't get too excited either way. This is going to take time.

I personally feel that searching for a top-notch GM should be the priority, especially since the article also hinted that Cowher does not want those duties.

I think Cowher is a fool to not at least sit down and listen to what the Bills have to say.

In my opinon - you should always at the very least hear what a prospective employer has to offer.

If he is sitting back waiting to get the Carolina job....what's to say that the Panthers don't turn this thing around and win out and make the playoffs. If that were to happen, I don't see the Panthers firing John Fox. (Listen....I don't foresee that happening...I do expect Fox to be out at the end of the year)....but the point is..you never know...and here is an opportunity for Cowher and he isn't even giving it a looksee - because of what he "thinks" may be a bad situation in Buffalo - or a better opportunity elsewhere that hasn't actually been placed before him?

Just doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't agree with that.

There is a big difference between what you are claiming and saying "no" because you want to see all of the opportunities in front of you.

He, unlike Shanahan and Holmgren, is also working right now with CBS (and that pitiful attempt at a pregame show- does anyone think the combination of Marino, Esiason, and Sharpe yukking it up are funny?). He's under contract. He may just be saying that to be respectful to CBS and honor his contract (hmm, something Jason Peters needs to learn).

I wouldn't get too excited either way. This is going to take time.

I personally feel that searching for a top-notch GM should be the priority, especially since the article also hinted that Cowher does not want those duties.

Right. He wants to see what other teams there are. If we were on the top of his list, he might not have had that reply.

Right. He wants to see what other teams there are. If we were on the top of his list, he might not have had that reply.

He's under contract right now with CBS. After the season, he will be looking at the opportunities.

Reading more into it than that is nothing more than TMZ style rumor and not based on any facts.

If you love TMZ, then more power to you.

And here's an article that has a positive spin on it:

"Bill Cowher leaves door open for Buffalo Bills coaching job

By Mark J. Miller

Buffalo Bills owner Bills owner Ralph C. Wilson Jr. is going against his own tradition, it seems. A guy who has always not paid a lot of dough for coaching appears to be going high-end this time around. Wilson is supposedly ready to fork over $10 million a season for the right coach, according to the Buffalo News.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher was apparently contacted by the Bills to see if he had any interest in taking over the team.

He reportedly told the team that he's didn't want to interview for the gig "at this time."

Cowher is supposedly happy to wait till season's end to see what other jobs come available. It's not likely that the Bills will wait till the end of the season to hire a new coach. The team supposedly wants someone to be signed on before then. The team is supposedly meeting with former Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Shanahan sometime in the next seven days.

Source: Buffalo News"

Now, you can read into it what you will, but the very title: "...Cowher leaves the door open..." would suggest positive spin.

Shoot, I'd take the "Chin" over most others, he would make the Bills a winner.

This franchise needs an offensive overhaul, but I'd think Cowher is smart enough to find the proper talented assistant coaches and he is a shrewd player talent evaluator.

I highly doubt he will take anything other then the Carolina job tho.

Shoot, I'd take the "Chin" over most others, he would make the Bills a winner.

This franchise needs an offensive overhaul, but I'd think Cowher is smart enough to find the proper talented assistant coaches and he is a shrewd player talent evaluator.

I highly doubt he will take anything other then the Carolina job tho.

Really ? Was there really any reason to convert Kordell Stewart from WR to QB ? I argue that the switch eventually ended Stewart's career when he could have excelled as a Reggie Bush-type player.

I happen to fall into the camp who is anti-Cowher and am relieved that he declined a meeting. It took a steady stream of pro-bowlers (drafted by their organization) to make him look good. I think a better coach, in the same 15 year period, would have won 1-2 more Superbowls with the talent they had.

Fox sucks, he is another Jauron.

Wow, that’s a really uninformed reply. Impressive! :wallbash:

I've been watching the Panthers for the last 12 years and John Fox is one hell of a coach, who would be an excellent backup plan.

If Fox compares to anyone, he would be a poor man’s Shanahan, with a nastier demeanor.

Really ? Was there really any reason to convert Kordell Stewart from WR to QB ? I argue that the switch eventually ended Stewart's career when he could have excelled as a Reggie Bush-type player.

I happen to fall into the camp who is anti-Cowher and am relieved that he declined a meeting. It took a steady stream of pro-bowlers (drafted by their organization) to make him look good. I think a better coach, in the same 15 year period, would have won 1-2 more Superbowls with the talent they had.

Yes, there was a reason. Stewart was going off saying he wanted to play QB & promising to act like an ass if not given the chance to play QB. Cowher got another year out of him in the slash role by promising he would get a chance at QB the next year.

some rumors state that CowHead wants to goto a potential contender.

What does it tell you when you hear that a candidate only wants to coach for a team that can be turned into a contender in one year?

Is that really the king of HC you want? Where is their devotion to building a great franchise?