"The Secret" in reverse

PromoTheRobot

I'm listening to WGR and hearing Jerry Sullivan's nasal whining about how awful everything about Buffalo is, and I'm tempted to punch my computer. The endless droning negativity is maddening. Then it hits me: maybe we all collectively will ourselves to fail? Failure defines us. If there was nothing bad happening, we'd have nothing to talk about. We only relate to failure.

Two days after firing Jauron and most everyone is already writing the Bills off. We don't even wait for someone to be hired to doom them to failure. We condemn everyone in advance. I'm really starting to think this is partly mental....a WNY-wide depression that wills everything we do to fail. :lol::(:(

Am I wrong?

PTR

I'm listening to WGR and hearing Jerry Sullivan's nasal whining about how awful everything about Buffalo is, and I'm tempted to punch my computer. The endless droning negativity is maddening. Then it hits me: maybe we all collectively will ourselves to fail? Failure defines us. If there was nothing bad happening, we'd have nothing to talk about. We only relate to failure.

Two days after firing Jauron and most everyone is already writing the Bills off. We don't even wait for someone to be hired to doom them to failure. We condemn everyone in advance. I'm really starting to think this is partly mental....a WNY-wide depression that wills everything we do to fail. :lol::(:(

Am I wrong?

PTR

The whole area has this mentality even outside of sports (personal lives). I chose to really change my mentality around 6 months ago (in all areas of life) and the changes have been remarkable. Everyone has their own opinions on this one so it is up to the individual to choose the route they want to go......stay positive!

That's why moving out of the area is a good thing.

Exactly. I've been in Charlotte for nearly 15 years and prior to that, have lived and traveled literally all over the world. I was born in WNY and always touched down there as my home town, and I must say that the residents of WNY own the patent on misery and negativity. And as you know, misery loves company.

I really hated Jauron and felt like there was absolutely no chance of success under his "leadership". Now that he is gone, I have my usual enthusiasm towards the team back. Let's support Fewell and see what he can do with this squad and what moves Ralph makes going forward. Canning Dick and eating Dick's remaining contract was a huge move by Ralph. It was definitely a step in the right direction, so let's ease up on the pessimism and see where this thing goes.

Call me the new C.Biscuit! :lol:

The whole area has this mentality even outside of sports (personal lives). I chose to really change my mentality around 6 months ago (in all areas of life) and the changes have been remarkable. Everyone has their own opinions on this one so it is up to the individual to choose the route they want to go......stay positive!

I was one of those negative mentalities when I was an Upstate NY resident, I Left around 6 years ago, have worked across the country and am now relocated in Tennessee. Now I have discovered that I have to eat crow about the area. I have has better trustworthy lifelong friends from upstate NY that I have come across anywhere. I think the negative mentality of the area comes from people speaking there minds and not sugar coating everything. Anytime there was work to be done at a friends house there where never a shortage of helping hands, If there was a death in the area I have not sense seen the support of a community since upstate NY. I have been stabbed in the back, lied to, and have seen people do some very low stuff since working out of the area, I sometimes think that maybe the weather gives us a differant mentality about work, we arent afriad to role up our sleeves and earn our pay and respect rather than suck a**. The weather I dont miss, the people you bet your sweet a** I do.

Am I wrong?

PTR

I think the only thing that is going to change all of this is Ralph being true to his word and hiring a winner coach....then going further and bringing in real football men upstairs and move Brandon back to being a seller.

We need a plan, guys that our players will follow and believe in, and success.....

Then maybe.....just maybe

Exactly. I've been in Charlotte for nearly 15 years and prior to that, have lived and traveled literally all over the world. I was born in WNY and always touched down there as my home town, and I must say that the residents of WNY own the patent on misery and negativity. And as you know, misery loves company.

I really hated Jauron and felt like there was absolutely no chance of success under his "leadership". Now that he is gone, I have my usual enthusiasm towards the team back. Let's support Fewell and see what he can do with this squad and what moves Ralph makes going forward. Canning Dick and eating Dick's remaining contract was a huge move by Ralph. It was definitely a step in the right direction, so let's ease up on the pessimism and see where this thing goes.

Call me the new C.Biscuit! :lol:

I will say this: WNY is hard on those who want more than they want to work for. Those bones were picked clean long ago.

If you want a screw off desk or line job where you can punch in for 8 hours, spend 3 of them on TBD, make excellent pay and ultimately do more harm than good for your employer...move to a place like Charlotte. There are plenty of those type of jobs in expanding markets. The knowing that you have to either work hard or smart to be successful in WNY is depressing for those that won't or aren't. But the truth is, most of the people who stay here aren't that type. It's more a perception of those who didn't get the path of least resistance here and left seeking it. Not saying that's you, you may be the greatest man in the world drinking a dos equix while your reputation expands faster than the universe, but that describes a whole lotta' transplants.

As for sports, hell, WNY'ers are as or more optimistic than anyone. They held a rally when the team acquired a washed up Drew Bledsoe for chrissake. Optimism is and always has been in very good supply here. The Bills have won what? ONE homegame in the past year? Haven't been to the playoffs in a decade. Yet the atmosphere outside the stadium before games is nothing short of festive. Frankly, I gotta' call BS on you.

Am I wrong?

PTR

You're not wrong, but the issue is a larger one, and that's the WNY economy. Actually it's the NY State economy as well. I live in the Washington, DC, area and the whining about the local football team with the racist nickname is as bad as the griping about the Bills. But the big difference is that when the local football fans drive to work on Monday morning, they may be p*ssed about the 'Skins, but they're driving their BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, Lexuses, etc. on their way to their decently paid to way-overpaid jobs that are the beneficiaries of being in the proximity of the federal government. Even during the recession when the area lost jobs and foreclosures were spiraling out of control, there were still a lot of people with good paying jobs -- contractors, "consultants," military, government, etc.

In Western New York, the economy is contracting. Well paying jobs with promising futures are at a premium, there is no federal government to provide a steady stream of income for every defense or high-tech company that puts out a shingle and a bid for a government contract.

If by some chance, Western New York could revive its economy, you'll see that the dark cloud hanging over the sports team usually lifts on payday.

And as a WNY expatriot I really wish the economy would pick up -- I'd love to come back home.

The Bills sell out darn near every home game after 40 out of 50 years of brutal teams and humiliating defeats.

They might be pessimists on the surface, but they're eternal optimists in their hearts.

Ode to the Buffalo Bills fan:

O, how beautiful the asses

of them that fill the seats

of the Stadium of Sorrow.

Behold, they come like lambs to slaughter

every Autumn,

yet their courage to hope

leaveth even the Wolf envious

Yea, maligned city,

Yea, maligned team,

Yea, maligned Soul

which struggles within me,

yearning for justice

and redemption.

O, Buffalo,

how noble and steadfast art Thou.

Am I wrong?

PTR

What do you expect? A Super Bowl parade? Last I checked the franchise hasn't sniffed the playoffs in over 10 years.

It's one of the reasons I don't post much on here, but I do enjoy the reading, sitting down here in SC reading all the negative stuff being said back home. It is a lot different when you dont live there anymore, the people I work with could give a damn what is happening to the Bills, so the anger doesn't linger anymore.

or the sick need for validation that Buffalo "suffers" from. Lorey Schultz at the Eyeball network stalking Keanu Reeves... ridiculous.

:lol:

Gotta love the bipolar way that validation is sought:

[During a typical Bills downward spiral] "The Bills are ranked 27th in ESPN's Man Crush Power Poll. ESPN sucks."

[During those times when the Bills give their fans a glimmer of hope, like last season's 4-0 start] "Bills are now 7th in the ESPN poll!! Woo hoo!!"

The secret is all about the power of attraction. I think we collectively as fans and our community are very negative. It is as if we attract failure and disaster. Take the New England game for instance; how many of us were waiting for the Bills to screw it up. I know I was. Until we collectively start to BILLEAVE we are going to have a rough go of it. Let's encourage everyone to keep the faith and stay positive. I know I will.

Am I wrong?

PTR

I wasn't speaking of the economy though I suppose you could include that. I meant how we attack every new coach and player as a bust before they even start. It's like everyone wants to be the first to predict disaster. We don't want our coaches or QBs to succeed because it will make us wrong about them. Sad, really.

PTR

The secret is all about the power of attraction. I think we collectively as fans and our community are very negative. It is as if we attract failure and disaster. Take the New England game for instance; how many of us were waiting for the Bills to screw it up. I know I was. Until we collectively start to BILLEAVE we are going to have a rough go of it. Let's encourage everyone to keep the faith and stay positive. I know I will.

Yup, I agree 100%.

I was born and raised outside of Rochester but moved away in 1990. I love my friends and family still back there and love the area., but... my wife and I are always SHOCKED by how much people there love to B word and complain. It's their favorite past-time.

Two days after firing Jauron and most everyone is already writing the Bills off. We don't even wait for someone to be hired to doom them to failure. We condemn everyone in advance. I'm really starting to think this is partly mental....a WNY-wide depression that wills everything we do to fail. :(:(:(

Am I wrong?

PTR

Sully makes money out of being negative and the lemmings flocking to the negativity keep it flowing- don't blame him, blame yourself for listening

Two days after firing Jauron and most everyone is already writing the Bills off. We don't even wait for someone to be hired to doom them to failure. We condemn everyone in advance. I'm really starting to think this is partly mental....a WNY-wide depression that wills everything we do to fail. :(:(:(

Am I wrong?

PTR

There is truth in this. A lot.

I was listening to WGR the day Jauron was fired and heard several folks complaining how "it wasn't enough" or how the wrong person got fired first, and so forth. For over two years we've been clamoring to get rid of the guy - it finally happens - and instead of relief and hope (joy?), the sentiment IMMEDIATELY (within minutes!) returns to how everything is so hopeless it doesn't matter. Of course firing Jauron won't solve everything, but geez .... I was thrilled Jauron was finally out, but the Debbie Downers were out in force trying to convince everyone why we'll fail anyway, expecting it ... almost willing it to happen.

When you've lived away from the area for at least a few years, it's a little easier to spot the collective attitude, which really shouldn't match the people. IMO, WNY people are among the nicest, good-hearted, hard-working, loyal people anywhere, but there is nonetheless a weird sort of espirit-de-corps around the notion that Buffalonians always get the bad calls, they never get any respect, that no matter how bright it looks at the moment they'll always get screwed in the end, etc. I don't really mind Sulllivan, but the reason why his popularity is what it is (and why he plays it up to the hilt) is because he is the literary embodiment of the "we're destined to be losers" mentality that plagues the entire area.

I think Promo is on to something. Maybe we should forget Shanahan and go with Joel Osteen.