(OT) Where's the best place to get a PC?

PIZ

My PC is a hand-me-down, and I have absolutely no clue what I need and what a good deal would be. I'll use the PC for Office Work, Internet Use, and PC Gaming. Should I go to dell.com? Wal-Mart? What do I look for and what should I expect to pay?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My PC is a hand-me-down, and I have absolutely no clue what I need and what a good deal would be.  I'll use the PC for Office Work, Internet Use, and PC Gaming.  Should I go to dell.com?  Wal-Mart?  What do I look for and what should I expect to pay?

122040[/snapback]

I got a Dell from Dell.com and am very happy with it. I think that they have very good prices and will work with you so you don't buy something you don't want.

I just built my own PC two months ago and I'm by no means am I a expert.  It was quite simple to do.  I built a damn nice system for about $450.

122051[/snapback]

Did you buy "everything," or did you harvest parts/software (including OS) from a previous box? Some people don't have generic copies of Windoze lying around.

Just curious. My last was a custom build, and it was only because of re-use that it turned out as cheap as it was....

Good consumer board question. This thread over there should provide some sites that will help with at least the cost parts of the equation.

Did you buy "everything," or did you harvest parts/software (including OS) from a previous box?  Some people don't have generic copies of Windoze lying around.

Just curious.  My last was a custom build, and it was only because of re-use that it turned out as cheap as it was....

Good consumer board question.  This thread over there should provide some sites that will help with at least the cost parts of the equation.

122144[/snapback]

I bought everything but the OS and monitor. It's not for everyone, but I feel like I'm better prepared to troubleshoot now should anything go wrong. If I had bought a fancy new flat screen and windows XP you are right it probably would have ended up costing more than buying from dell.

I got a Dell from Dell.com and am very happy with it.  I think that they have very good prices and will work with you so you don't buy something you don't want.

122047[/snapback]

I agree go with DELL. They always have deals and the best part about is that if you place the order online with some1 from Dell customer rep. they can assit pricewise with deals and you will get the online discount.

Build your own you will be happy you did. Just do a little research for prices and quality of the components. You will generally find stuff much cheaper online.

http://www.newegg.com/

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp

These two online retailers are very dependable, reputable and cheaper than any retail outlet you will find.

There are also lots of resources online to help you assemble. Maxium PC magazine just had a great step by step primer how to build your own box. Maybe you can get that same article online from thier site.

I third (or fourth) the suggestion for Dell... Have bought several, and have always been very pleased... Good prices... Good support...

If you decide to go that way, go to Dell.com and sign up for some of their email newsletters, especially the one for Small Business... You'll get email "coupons" once every week or two, which can make a good deal better... Typically coupons might be $100 or $200 off certain systems, or 15-20% off of certain systems... You can often also combine that offer with an offer of free shipping, etc... You can build a killer rig for $1000 - a very good one for < $600.

You can also check out sites like

Fatwallet

Look in their Hot Deals forum - there are always postings in there of some configuration that is dirt cheap...

Also, with "Black Friday" coming up (day after Thanksgiving), there is always the potential for deals at retailers...

Good luck !

My PC is a hand-me-down, and I have absolutely no clue what I need and what a good deal would be.  I'll use the PC for Office Work, Internet Use, and PC Gaming.  Should I go to dell.com?  Wal-Mart?  What do I look for and what should I expect to pay?

122040[/snapback]

I just got mine from here.. http://www.tigerdirect.com/. I would highly recommend it to anybody looking for computers and any accessories. The staff is very helpful, the shipping is quick, and the prices are unbeatable. I built a top notch system for 1,400$, I'm a tech freak though so I'm sure you can get a great system for under 1,000$.

Good Luck

122040[/snapback]

Go with Dell. I've always been a builder of my own and was planning on it this last time. I priced the parts and compared them to Dell. It was cheaper in the end to go with Dell and I just didn't want to deal with the hassle or time of another build. Only took one week from order to delivery.

Ordered the Dimension 8400 with a 17 inch flat panel for just over $1000. This computer screams. Been playing Doom 3 without a hitch.

A lot of people complain about Dells service but if you know the least bit about computers chances are you can repair any problems yourself. All tech support is overseas now anyway.

I would build if you have the resources (software). I have built several computers over the years. Its easier than you would think. If you are a hardcore gamer, this is the best option. However, if something doesnt work...your on your own. Dell has great customer service. They also give you alot for your money, especially the software. I would suggest staying away from HP and Compaq. I've had nothing but problems.

Suggestion: get as much RAM as you can afford, atleast 512MB. A good resource is tomshardware.com. PM me if you have any questions.

You can't beat Dell when they run their $399 specials with monitor and free shipping, and sometimes free upgrades in memory or CD/RW.

I do recommend avoiding Dell Credit. You'll be paying off that computer for 10 years and pay $30,000! Use a credit card.

PTR

You can't beat Dell when they run their $399 specials with monitor and free shipping, and sometimes free upgrades in memory or CD/RW.

Those are good deals, if your looking for a basic computer. If you want high end performance...you wont find it here

I have to add my two cents. Build your own. you will be much happier, especially in the long run.

I actually used to own/run a computer repair shop and found that the best place to order parts online is www.mwave.com. Multiwave has low shipping prices, accurate and quick ship times, even for ground shipping, and will provide plenty of support if something goes wrong with your order.

I placed and order last Christmas and the FedEx delivery person delivered my order to the wrong house. Mwave pretty much handled the entire ordeal for me. I was very satisfied with that and they have never wronged me. I've order from other companies online in the past, but for the past few years and from now on, I will stick with them 90 percent of the time (based on product availablity).

Also, Mwave has really good prices. As I said about their low/reasonable shipping prices, most online retailers will charge you quite a good penny for shipping in order to make up for lower advertised prices. Not MWwave.

Just my opinion. Good luck.