(OT) Where's the best place to get a PC?

PIZ

sorry guys... plain and simple guys Mr info is right.. the HP is a better deal straight up

and the upgrade to ram being cheap.... NOT!! most laptops have to stick slots. If you have 256 k ram and want go up to 512, you've got to get read of your pair of 128s and buy a new pair of 256s

besides, I'm good friends with a dude that owns a computer store and repair shop. He's also an authorized dell repairman. His take is that Dells are POS, but he loves them and the $$$ forof all the repair jobs he gets.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry guys... plain and simple guys Mr info is right.. the HP is a better deal straight up

and the upgrade to ram being cheap.... NOT!! most laptops have to stick slots.  If you have 256 k ram and want go up to 512, you've got to get read of your pair of 128s and buy a new pair of 256s

besides, I'm good friends with a dude that owns a computer store and repair shop.  He's also an authorized dell repairman.  His take is that Dells are POS, but he loves them and the $$$ forof all the repair jobs he gets.

125184[/snapback]

My sister knew this guy, who had this friend, whose girlfriend saw Ferris pass out at 31 flavors last night. Whoopie.

As I stated before, the system I quoted had 512MB of RAM, not 256. When Dell sells a PC with 256MB of RAM in it, it's ONE STICK. ONE. Stay with me here.

As far as the HP being a better deal, that's nothing more than opinion. You are ALWAYS buying older technology from HP. ALWAYS. It's based on their business model, which involves channels and VARs. Dell's doesn't. They have no more than a 4 hour parts cache at any given time. I know. I've SEEN it with my own 2 eyes.

That says nothing of Return on Investment, which according to virtually every credible business source on this planet, goes hands down to DELL. It's also the reason that Compaq/HP have lost money on the server/PC/laptop side of their business for the last 7 years, while Dell has made almost 90% of the profit in the industry.

Keep telling yourselves you know what the hell you're talking about, using smart statements from your "buddy". He can't be repairing more Dells simply because they are kicking HPs proverbial ass in the US market by a wide margin, can he? Nah, that's not it.

As I stated before, the system I quoted had 512MB of RAM, not 256.  When Dell sells a PC with 256MB of RAM in it, it's ONE STICK.  ONE.  Stay with me here.

I think Mr. Info missed the part where you said LAST WEEK Dell had the deal. Dell has new deals almost daily; it could be here one day and repalced with a different type of deal the next.

DeeRay - as AD pointed out, just because your friend gets a lot of Dell repairs, doesn't mean Dell sucks. "Correlation does not imply causation" is a big quote in research. There could be lots of reasons why Dell boxes are brought in for repair more -- maybe people keep them longer, there's more of them out in the marketplace (thus you'll see more), they're bought mainly by older people who don't know how to work computers as well so can't fix them by themselves, etc. I'm not saying any/all of these are true, but they're all possible reasons.

I maintain that you can't go wrong with most computers nowadays; they're all relatively similar in price/performance.

CW

Nothing could be further from the truth.  Dell uses NO proprietary internal components.  With the exception of their cases, there is nothing strictly manufactured by Dell.  They simply buy industry standard components in bulk at significant discounts and eliminate the middle man from the equation, saving their customers a ton of money.

Dell is also more than happy to sell you replacement parts. Dell Support Web Page .  If you know your service tag number, you simply put it in and select "parts" from the drop down menu.  It comes up with a litany of components.

123215[/snapback]

Want to bet? Try any standard P/S in the Dell case. The cutouts are opposite and the Mobo plug wiring is reversed. You will fry your Mobo. Also, take the Dell Mobo and try to hook it up in a standard case.

Want to bet? Try any standard P/S in the Dell case. The cutouts are opposite and the Mobo plug wiring is reversed. You will fry your Mobo. Also, take the Dell Mobo and try to hook it up in a standard case.

125263[/snapback]

There's no such thing as a Dell motherboard. It's an Intel motherboard. Why the hell would you take a motherboard out of a case and put it in a different computer, anyway?

Two things I'll say from my 7 years of experience of working on Dells.....

1) Laptop memory - if a system comes with 256M, it'll be one 256M stick and have one available slot for another stick.

2) Dell desktops - Most of the components in a desktop are standard, ie HD, CD, Memory, floppy, mouse, etc. The power supplies are usually not. This has been my exerience with the Optiplex line. The system boards in a Small Form Factor (SFF) are not a standard motherboard, you would not find a replacement on the shelf at CompUSA if yours failed. I don't have a mid-size one handy to check that currently, but I do know some of the older Opti's (white case) were not a standard board.

There's no such thing as a Dell motherboard.  It's an Intel motherboard.  Why the hell would you take a motherboard out of a case and put it in a different computer, anyway?

125278[/snapback]

I'm just making the point that some of their components are non-standard. This is no big deal unless your machine goes down and you can't wait for Dell to get around to repairing it. I build and repair computers and you might be surprise as to how many folks wish to upgrade their cases.