Why start Fitzpatrick?

TO might also ponder, that the last I saw, he led all NFL WRs in drops...

Yes, and when I say that TO is intolerant of his own mistakes, I am really referring to his dedicated work ethic more than to the fact that he would admit it publicly (though in fairness he has said he needs to play better). In spite of the drops, he remains a great player IMO and is still capable of performing at a very high level in the right circumstances i.e. not here in Buff.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give one thing which told me a LOT about the faith they lack in Trent... Having Fred Jackson throw the 27 yard pass to Evans. Wildcat is a gimick - the QB should be throwing those, but Trent doesn't seem capable. How many QB's has this franchise churned up w/ showing zero confidence in them and yanking them after only a few bad games?

QB's after Kelly (from memory - I may have missed 1 or 2):

Todd Collins - Alex Van Pelt - Rob Johnson - Doug Flutie - Drew Bledsoe - JP Losman - Trent Edwards - Ryan Fitzpatrick

Outside of Bledsoe - did any of them really ever seem to have the confidence of the coaching staff? They were all starting while looking over their shoulder.

You forgot a Billy Joe or two. Hobert and for some reason Tolliver comes to mind...

Guest dog14787
From what I have seen, I can throw a better deep ball than Fitz. Who can't throw a Hail Mary pass?

13 fumbles in 18 games or something to that effect.

2 TD's , 4 interceptions with a 49.8 QB rating this season :doh:

Maybe he was referring to this?

Linky

I am sure they do remember Fitz's last start.

And I am sure they remember some of Trent's "memorable" games also.

Reference:

Cleveland x2

Dallas

etc ...

hahahaha---you cite an article where 3 players "seemed thrilled" about Fitz starting---and one of them is Fitz! Strong work!

Anyway, against Houston, we saw Fitz as he is.

Seriously Buddy, by your definition of experience a 3rd string QB like Hamdan could have as much so called experience as your starter and look where it got Hamdan.

This is their real experience :

Ryan Fitzpatrick 17 starts and he has thrown for 3,044 yards, his QB rating this year 49.8

Trent Edwards 30 starts for 5,499 yards, his QB rating this year 74.1

T.O's talking out his ass, he's nothing but a trouble maker and I should have realized as much when folks like Lori ( a very football smart lady I might add) were cringing at the thought of T.O. coming here and they were correct in their assumptions.

Myself, I bought into T.O. hook line and sinker...

You are missing the point. Owens never defined the term "experience".

In attempt to bash Owens, you created your own definition of "experience", and claim he is talking out his ass. In reality, you have no idea what TO meant by "experience", but you have no problem in falsely claiming he meant yours.

What you posted is only one aspect of experience. There are others.

How long have they been in the league?

How many different teams/coaches/schemes have they been subject to?

(this could be a good or bad) Learning different ways to deal with a situation provides more "experience".

It's close that's for sure, but not that much difference. I think the coaches believe they can implement a better game plan with a QB that won't check down as much. And he is 1-1, or does he get the win against the Jets as well?

Would you rather have a checkdown or bad pass that is off the mark? Personally I would rather have checkdown... at least the ball is moving.

Would you rather have a checkdown or bad pass that is off the mark? Personally I would rather have checkdown... at least the ball is moving.

The ball has not been moving in this offense in years. Neither of these 2 qb's is going to start next year for us, so who the hell cares which qb starts this week. The offense is terrible with either of them.

The ball has not been moving in this offense in years. Neither of these 2 qb's is going to start next year for us, so who the hell cares which qb starts this week. The offense is terrible with either of them.

You are so correct .... now I need to go cry and drink heavily. :doh:

hahahaha---you cite an article where 3 players "seemed thrilled" about Fitz starting---and one of them is Fitz! Strong work!

Anyway, against Houston, we saw Fitz as he is.

And we have seen Trent for who he is.

Cleveland x2

Dallas

and numerous others.

As for me citing the article, I took a guess at what the poster was referring to. I made no claim it was in fact.

I have no illusions about Fitz. He's terrible.

But what cannot be ignored is the feelings of the rest of the team.

They do not view Edwards as being a leader.

They have lost confidence in him.

They have given up on him.

However, you want to proclaim it, it still means the same thing.

THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR EDWARDS.

Why would Fewell start Fitzpatrick? don't tell me it's give them the best chance to win? Plus He is not the future, nor will he bring back this teams to the playoffs? I hope Fewell doesn't think this head coach gig is anything but temporary? Does this move seal the fate of Trent as the starting QB? Or was that dye cast weeks if not months ago when they blew up the o-line or turfed Turk? The only coach that I can see thaty doesn't need to put a for sale sign on their front lawn is Bobby April. Time to call information and get Shanahan's number and give him a call, before Washington, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Oakland beat's Ralph to the punch. :doh:

Why would Fewell start Fitzpatrick? don't tell me it's give them the best chance to win?

Because he thinks it's our best chance to win. There were already rumors about Fitz starting this game before Dick got the axe. I don't think he's very good either, but the fact remains he's played meaningful minutes in 3 games. With him were able to beat two 4-5 teams. With Trent playing the rest we were able to beat a 1-8 team.

Plus He is not the future, nor will he bring back this teams to the playoffs?

So what. An NFL team is made up of professionals whose job is to win games. They're judged on that and it's their passion. If it's not, they're in the wrong business. We're trying to win as many games as we can this year. They don't hold the moronic belief of many on here that the seasons over so we should try to lose on purpose to get a better draft pick. That's for losers.

I hope Fewell doesn't think this head coach gig is anything but temporary?

I'm hoping that he sees this as his chance to shine and do well to maybe get a HC job down the line. I hope he does. Hell, I hope we win out.

Does this move seal the fate of Trent as the starting QB?

I think Trent's fate was pretty much set anyway. He's only under contract one more year. There were rumors on NFL.com on Monday that Dick was going to name Fitz the starter. He'd lost the confidence of his team mates. Evidently he can't or won't read defenses. That's why TO was ticked and Josh Reed agreed with TO. He was pretty much toast anyway. If he's even on our team next year, he'll be out of football the next year. If we don't keep him, his NFL career is over. And I don't think that would bother him too much anyway. Give him more time for golf in sunny CA.

The only coach that I can see thaty doesn't need to put a for sale sign on their front lawn is Bobby April.

I can't see that. The STs have pretty much sucked this year except on a few occasions. Runbacks are down and penalties are up. I can see a new coach bringing in his own ST guy.

Time to call information and get Shanahan's number and give him a call, before Washington, Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay or Oakland beat's Ralph to the punch.

true true

But also call Marty, the Walrus, Dan Reeves, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Brian Billick, Jim Fassel, and John Gruden.

Go BILLS !!

Guest dog14787
You are missing the point. Owens never defined the term "experience".

In attempt to bash Owens, you created your own definition of "experience", and claim he is talking out his ass. In reality, you have no idea what TO meant by "experience", but you have no problem in falsely claiming he meant yours.

What you posted is only one aspect of experience. There are others.

How long have they been in the league?

How many different teams/coaches/schemes have they been subject to?

(this could be a good or bad) Learning different ways to deal with a situation provides more "experience".

Good grief, O.K. Fitpatrick has more experience sitting on the bench then Trent Edwards like that means anything.

Other then that, TE is almost doubling Fitz in game starts, total yards and QB rating, now seriously, don't you think my definition of experience makes allot more sense.

Good grief, O.K. Fitpatrick has more experience sitting on the bench then Trent Edwards like that means anything.

Other then that, TE is almost doubling Fitz in game starts, total yards and QB rating, now seriously, don't you think my definition of experience makes allot more sense.

So..who do you want to take the helm?

Stats are nice, but wins are better. With Fitz playing meaningful minutes in 3 games, we beat two teams with better records than us. Trent hasn't done that yet this season. Before you say we only beat the Jets because of Byrd, recall that he threw a TD pass to Lee Evans and had 0 sacks. Don't get me wrong I don't think he's very good either. But you can't overlook that he's played in 67% of our wins. He's not better, he just sucks less.