Shanahan's record in Denver

dave mcbride

Of course not. Look, I know nothing. Shanahan could be the greatest or he could be a massive disappointment. But that goes for anyone we hire.

But know this...If Shannahan won a Super Bowl in Buffalo, he'd be the first head coach in NFL history to win one with two teams.

PTR

I think Shula won one with the Colts and one with the Dolphins

Trust me. The thrill of being in the playoffs will dull after a couple of first-round losses. Is our goal making the wild-card or the Super Bowl?

I'm not sold on hiring a once-great-but-not-so-much-now coach. This Marc Trestmann guy is intriguing.

PTR

My goal is to not want to smash my TV every Sunday in the Fall. If I feel like smashing it one game in the playoffs that's a hell of a lot better than wanting to smash it nearly every week during the regular season.

I really like the thought of Shanahan coming to Buffalo- especially considering the 3 jokers they mentioned as possibilities (Killdrive, Trestman, Haslett)

As far as him having total control over personnel- I'm a bit weary because of the Maurice Clarett debacle.

I think you meant leery, not weary. But you're right: the Maurice Clarett debacle was a clear case in which a) Shanahan messed up, GM-wise, and b) TD didn't. Every time someone from NFL.com needed a negative quote about Clarett, they could always count on TD to give them something pithy. If even TD displayed better general manager skills than Shanahan, then maybe you'd want someone else in charge of the front office.

As far as him having total control over personnel- I'm a bit weary because of the Maurice Clarett debacle.

It's more than just Clarett. I like Shanahan on Sundays but I remember reading multiple compelling analyses of how badly he mangled the Broncos personell when he was in charge. If Ralph makes the mistake of giving him the keys to the kingdom, I think we can expect to suffer through more of the Bills going nowhere slowly.

It's more than just Clarett. I like Shanahan on Sundays but I remember reading multiple compelling analyses of how badly he mangled the Broncos personell when he was in charge. If Ralph makes the mistake of giving him the keys to the kingdom, I think we can expect to suffer through more of the Bills going nowhere slowly.

No argument there. It's also important to remember that the front office we have right now just finished drafting guys like Wood, Levitre, Nelson, and (perhaps best of all) Byrd. Sure, an upgrade to the front office would be nice. But it's not like we're in the position of a drowning man who needs to grasp at anything to help keep himself afloat. If the right front office guy isn't available, we can always stick with the team we have for another draft.

What was his record post-Elway? 1-4 in the playoffs. Not so great.

PTR

What was Levy's record without Kelly? Or Johnson's record without Aikman. Let's be real. Great QBs always can make a team better then they really are. Thats the whole point in getting a franchise QB...they can mask a lot of other deficiencies. Shanahan did make Jake Plummer a good QB for one season, which is pretty impressive...