Fred Smerlas beating up kids?

Did ex-Patriots rough up high school kids?

Charity organizer and former Patriots player Fred Smerlas is extending an olive branch to the high school students who felt they were roughed up at a basketball game last weekend, calling for a meeting with the students and players to reconcile their differences and possibly a second game to settle old scores. Smerlas, whose company, All Pro, participated in a charity game between former Patriots players and students at Nashoba Valley Regional High School on Saturday, said that he was surprised by the reaction to the game. Parents and students who participated in the game complained they were roughed up by the former pro football players, and that the players used vulgar language. The game was organized by the Stow Police Benevolent Association. The students signed up thinking they would be playing with the officers, but no officers showed up.

per Boston Globe

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

Did ex-Patriots rough up high school kids?

Charity organizer and former Patriots player Fred Smerlas is extending an olive branch to the high school students who felt they were roughed up at a basketball game last weekend, calling for a meeting with the students and players to reconcile their differences and possibly a second game to settle old scores. Smerlas, whose company, All Pro, participated in a charity game between former Patriots players and students at Nashoba Valley Regional High School on Saturday, said that he was surprised by the reaction to the game. Parents and students who participated in the game complained they were roughed up by the former pro football players, and that the players used vulgar language. The game was organized by the Stow Police Benevolent Association. The students signed up thinking they would be playing with the officers, but no officers showed up.

per Boston Globe

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

Haha. Wouldn't surprise me. I have vivid childhood memories of listening to the Smerlas/Haslett show on WBEN in the mid-80's. Every week a caller would say they were a bunch of bums (these were the 2-14 years) and Smerlas would go crazy and get all tough asking the guy where he lived.

growing up in the 80s, my cousins lived 3 streets down from Rich Stadium. Smerlas, Talley and other players would OFTEN come out and join in the backyard football games. (my cousins even ended up in a pic in Sports Illustrated that showed him QBing a game).

They were nice guys and took it easy on us, but there were plenty of times that they knocked us around. It was all laughs and no one thought anything different.

Funny/sad how greatly things have changed in 20 years when it comes to the (over)reaction of parents. oh no! they swore and roughed us up! boo hoo hoo!

who cares? it was an HONOR!

growing up in the 80s, my cousins lived 3 streets down from Rich Stadium. Smerlas, Talley and other players would OFTEN come out and join in the backyard football games. (my cousins even ended up in a pic in Sports Illustrated that showed him QBing a game).

They were nice guys and took it easy on us, but there were plenty of times that they knocked us around. It was all laughs and no one thought anything different.

Funny/sad how greatly things have changed in 20 years when it comes to the (over)reaction of parents. oh no! they swore and roughed us up! boo hoo hoo!

Thats a cool story.

BTW, I agree with you..I would be all over schoill bragging about some big ex NFL player hit me etc..would be a badge of honor

agreed 100%...shoot, i would love for ray lewis to hit me! :unsure:

that is verry cool. musta been a thrill as a kid.--I remember one time Daryl Lamonica came to our little league practice in Williamsville--and was throwing us bombs(im obviously a bit older than you).It was a major thrill for us.He had already been traded to Oakland--and was back in town for a few days visiting..it was summer of '68.

:lol: Bleepin'-A right!