Mike Shanahan comin to town

NCDAWG

isn't this a bad way to do Fewell?????? name him interim then immediately go out and talk to shanahan almost on the same day...shouldn't shanahan been contacted and named coach to begin with????

Unless you're bringing in Shanahan to be czar and are planning on getting an HC later. I wouldn't be shocked...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How anyone can knock the idea of brining in a coach who has been to multiple playoff seasons.....multiple super bowls........offensive minded.....knows how to biuld offensive lines........etc etc at this point is beyond me.

Shanahan would be like jesus coming to Buffalo at this point.....the last winning coach we have had was Marv Levy?

(well....Wade Phillips did get us to a playoff game)

Also, someone posted that he was in Denver for 14 years?? That speaks volumes to me

1995-2008 Mike Shanahan 138-86-0

I think there is reason to believe both of them.

In the first case, if the Bills offer a significant amount of money, and, more importantly, close to the kind of control that Shanahan wants, he has to make a quick decision: How many owners are willing to do that? Two? Three at most?

Cowher right now seems like a better candidate than Shanahan. Holmgren may be as well. If Dungy wants to coach, he is right in the mix. So is Gruden. Shanahan has a big name but he could be anywhere from #2 to #5 or lower on any random owners wish list. If the Bills offer him close to what he wants, it would be difficult for him to turn it down. Control is probably as important to him as money. Money and Control in Buffalo is probably a better idea to him right now than no control and a HC job on a team that needs one next year.

Right now, I would assume that Mike Shanahan has a 90+% chance of being a HC somewhere next year. But only a 50% chance of getting a lot of money as well as total control or close to it. There are not a lot of those jobs.

In the second case, if Ralph is really willing to pay out the bucks and give up the control that Mike Shanahan is asking for, there is no reason to wade through all the other guys out there after the season. He would pull the trigger as soon as Shanahan said yes, as soon as he made the perfunctory phone call to Cowher's agent who will say "My client is going to wait until the season is over and see what jobs are out there."

Not that I believe this will happen, mind you. But if Ralph is willing to pay Shanahan, and willing to give up control, and Shanahan is willing to agree, it's over. There isn't any looking around.

Plus if an offer is made, and Shanny waffles, they will pull it and move on. You either want the position or not. None of this waiting to see if there's something better out there.

I wonder since Shanahan is an offensive guy (who I would trust with a top 5 pick in a QB heavy draft), who would be the DC? Would we keep Fewell? The D has not been awful despite the atrocious run defense ranking. They have caved late in the 4th, but overall have kept the Bills in many games.

It's easy for your team's pass defense to look good when you're playing against the likes of Derek Anderson.

Look at who we've faced:

Week 1: Tom Brady. Looked rusty early on, and demolished and embarrassed the Bills' defense once the rust wore off.

Week 2: Byron Leftwich. Passed for nearly 300 yards!!

Week 3: Drew Brees. This was the best performance by the Bills' pass defense, this season.

Week 4: Chad Henne. A second year player making one of his first career starts.

Week 5: Derek Anderson. Will that guy even be a backup next season?

Week 6: Mark Sanchez, rookie QB

Week 7: Jake Delhomme. Over 300 yards passing for a guy who, this season, has a 67.0 QB rating.

Week 8: Matt Schaub (268 passing yards)

Week 9: Bye

Week 10: Vince Young (210 passing yards)

The defense hasn't done a good job of getting off the field on third downs. Also, other teams' QBs seem to pile up more yards against the Bills defense than they do most other weeks. (The Saints game being the obvious exception.) The defense has made up for its inadequacies with turnovers, and in particular with Byrd. But I don't see the emergence of Byrd as a credit to Fewell. It's not like the other Bills' DBs have exactly been Byrd-like in their ability to get turnovers. If his interceptions were a result of great coaching, you'd expect some of the other DBs (also getting that supposedly great coaching) to start getting lots of interceptions too. The credit for Byrd goes to Brandon for having found a special football player. Not to the coaching staff which teaches DBs to play 20 yards off the ball.

I can knock it. As well as any astute business will, refusing to fork over millions of dollars and contract obligations before checking things out.

Shanahan got canned. Nutty owner? - perhaps.

But canned he was. His name got bandied about, but AFAIK he's been cashing the buyout checks and hasn't said boo about getting a coaching gig.

That reminds me - dim memory tells me that he had to keep his trap shut as a condition of that payoff. No?

As you previously and subtly mentioned, Pat Bowlen doesn't seem as sharp as he once was. And for any NFL HC, 14 seasons is a long time. Here, a change of scenery may be in Shanny's best interest.

I won't work myself up believing he's coming to Buffalo. But it's important to remember that there are several teams (as always) working to get one of these guys into their organization. The Bills are attempting to get ahead of the pack, and to me their anticipation of the market is a great thing for a franchise generally a step behind everyone else.

FWIW, Shanny's been toured select training camps this year trying to keep up to speed on developing trends. I know he visited NE, and perhaps PIT. Just saying.

isn't this a bad way to do Fewell?????? name him interim then immediately go out and talk to shanahan almost on the same day...shouldn't shanahan been contacted and named coach to begin with????

Jeez, look at the defensive numbers for the Bills this season. If they were decent in any way then yea Fewell should get a permanent shot.

But c'mon, last against the run and 26th overall, Ralph Wilson is doing the guy a favor buy allowing him to be an interim HEAD coach. Not for nothing but with those numbers he should be shown the door right behind Dick Jauron, I'll be surprised if he still has a job next season if he can't improve those stats.

Actually this looks like a slap in the face to Bobby April who is assistant head coach under Jauron, he should be getting this opportunity JMO.

stolen from pft:

Slow Joe is in talks to buy a brand new 2010 Lexus LS470.

UPDATE: Slow Joe will also consider a 1993 Ford Taurus, a 1987 Hyundai Sonata, and a 1977 Chevrolet Chevette.

He has yet to make an appointment with the VW dealer to even go and see the Bugatti Veyron he promised to his kids .

Interim says it all. If I was Fewell, I would be praying to keep my DC job next year.

UPDATE: Schefter also reports that the Bills will consider Florida Tuskers coach Jim Haslett, New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and Montreal Alouettes coach Marc Trestman.

:lol::wallbash: :wallbash:

Living in the past is what got us into this mess. Can someone please erase Marv Levy's phone number from Ralph's contact list!

Kevin Gilbride would be hilarious. From almost being the head coach of the Cornell Big Red to being the head coach of the Bills! Ha! That won't sell any season tickets.

GILBRIDE TO GIANTS

Though we can't find any reports from the New York media to corroborate this one, the Houston Chronicle is reporting as of Monday morning that former Bills offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has turned down an opportunity to become the head coach at Cornell, and that Gilbride will be joining the Giants coaching staff.

SOURCE: http://archive.profootballtalk.com/1-15-04to1-31-04.htm

Cutting DJ now is the only chance the Bills were going to find a good HC. Can't believe I'm saying this but Bravo Ralphie.

There are going to be a ton of teams looking for a new coach next year with better markets then the Bills including Jets for the literally sad display he showed. "THERE'S NO CRYING IN FOOTBALL!" Right now there is no competition and have open pick on remaining coaches. Having Shanahan is the perfect option being a team with weak QB's, a strong run game and the worst OL to ever populate a 52 man roster.

Shanahan to Buffalo... Can't say it will never happen... TO's here :lol:

Cutting DJ now is the only chance the Bills were going to find a good HC. Can't believe I'm saying this but Bravo Ralphie.

There are going to be a ton of teams looking for a new coach next year with better markets then the Bills including Jets for the literally sad display he showed. "THERE'S NO CRYING IN FOOTBALL!" Right now there is no competition and have open pick on remaining coaches. Having Shanahan is the perfect option being a team with weak QB's, a strong run game and the worst OL to ever populate a 52 man roster.

Shanahan to Buffalo... Can't say it will never happen... TO's here :lol:

This just in. As of December, T.O. is gone.

If it's one of the other 3 guys mentioned, I will not watch the Bills next year. Ralph & co finally have a chance to make it right and bringing in any one of those jabroni's won't make us any better than what we have been this decade. It has to be Shanahan or another well respected coach like Cowher, Marty, Holmgren etc..

If it's one of the other 3 guys mentioned, I will not watch the Bills next year. Ralph & co finally have a chance to make it right and bringing in any one of those jabroni's won't make us any better than what we have been this decade. It has to be Shanahan or another well respected coach like Cowher, Marty, Holmgren etc..

be time to follow the Steelers I guess.

:lol:

ummm, NO - are you joking?

3 reasons:

1) when a team fires its' coach in-season, it almost always names a current AC as the INTERIM head coach - (bolded for emphasis)

2) they need a coach (at least interim) NOW, and did not have anyone permanent lined up

3) they will need to negotiate a deal with Shanahan; this takes time.