So does firing DJ now give the Bills a strategic

zow2

It might. Was watching Channel 2 in Buffalo and Ed Kilgore mentioned that his sources have said that Brandon has convinced Ralph that he needs a strong football guy and that the Bills have already started contacting those people.

Maybe this time will be different, right? :thumbsup:

I can only think that Buffalo is now in a great position over their competition to deal with the established ex-coaches sitting out there (i.e Cowher, Holmgren, Billick, Gruden, Shanahan)

Do you think that's the case?

Dunno. But I'm sure JAX is rubbing their foreparts like a fly over a newly-discovered fresh pile of wet dog plop, facing a team with a mid-season regime change.

:thumbsup:

It may help some. At least the Bills know they're in the market for a HC now. Usually, they fart around for two weeks following the season before they actually fire the guy, then it takes another three weeks to hire someone to replace him. By that time, all of the decent candidates are gone and we get stuck with guys like Jauron. This should, at the very least, cut down on the time they need to make their hiring decision at the end of the year and hopefully that will pay some dividends in the form of a better hire.

It may help some. At least the Bills know they're in the market for a HC now. Usually, they fart around for two weeks following the season before they actually fire the guy, then it takes another three weeks to hire someone to replace him. By that time, all of the decent candidates are gone and we get stuck with guys like Jauron. This should, at the very least, cut down on the time they need to make their hiring decision at the end of the year and hopefully that will pay some dividends in the form of a better hire.

Agree 100%. I now expect some of the other bottom feeders (Raiders, Browns, Skins) will fire their coaches before the end of the season in order to better position themselves for the annual coaches derby. Our problem, though, is that Ralph still owns the team.

It might. Was watching Channel 2 in Buffalo and Ed Kilgore mentioned that his sources have said that Brandon has convinced Ralph that he needs a strong football guy and that the Bills have already started contacting those people.

Could be true as I've heard that Brandon is a humble guy who has the best interest of the team at heart. He may be an asset in hiring a new gm as he can handle the marketing as well as provide a buffer between Ralph and the new gm.

Unfortunately, none of those mentioned potential coaches are a minority.

The Rooney rule requires that we interview a minority candidate, which as past dealings have shown, having a "name" already lined up proves to be problematic.

I can only think that Buffalo is now in a great position over their competition to deal with the established ex-coaches sitting out there (i.e Cowher, Holmgren, Billick, Gruden, Shanahan)

Do you think that's the case?

Not really. Because of the Rooney rule they have to have open interviews, not zero in on a name like Detroit did when they hired Mariucci & the NFL slapped them for it. You can't do those interviews in season. The next team would likely get a much greater punishment than Detroit including possibly voiding of the contract like last year when the league voided the clause that Haslett had with St. Louis that if he won so many games he'd get the permanant job.

Unfortunately, none of those mentioned potential coaches are a minority.

The Rooney rule requires that we interview a minority candidate, which as past dealings have shown, having a "name" already lined up proves to be problematic.

It's not unfortunate. But we'll probably interview Fewell for the HC position at the end of the season. Since he would now be an interim. That, if I am correct, will fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement.

C

You do realize that Wilson is still on the hook to Jauron for 3 million next year and the rest of this year.

So, Interim head coach costs Wilson nothing this year.

But next year, 3 million to Jauron and how much will Cowher cost?

7-11 million Cowher wants powers in draft and all personnel

7-11 Million Holmgren who wants total power as GM / president

6-9 Million Shanahan who is partially paid by Pat Bowlen until after next season, this might make some sense

Billick- Schottenheimer-any any other name will come at least 5 million, so figure Wilson to pay 3 to Jauron and 5 to another coach?

This firing comes as a surprise to me so he might just throw caution to the wind and go get Shanahan or Gruden, who would really build a better offense. Lord knows this team needs an offensive overhaul to a west coast scheme.

I actually kinda favor "Chuckie" if he hires a really good Defensive coordinator, maybe even Charlie Casserly or Floyd Reese as GM

If this is true Brandon is a very astute guy because he probably just saved his job. If true, he runs the business operation maybe even retains GM title but gets to step out of the sham that suggests he is a football guy.

It's not unfortunate. But we'll probably interview Fewell for the HC position at the end of the season. Since he would now be an interim. That, if I am correct, will fulfill the Rooney Rule requirement.

C

Yeah, I'm guessing that will be our solution to the Rooney Rule. After firing Jauron, Wilson/Brandon called up Fewell, and told him he could be interim HC if he promised to interview after the season, no matter how obviously we were mooning after some other guy. If he refused, April would have had the job.

Although that only works if we figure he wants to get his head coaching start with this sorry group at the end of this sorry season. Maybe he refused the offer and this is his punishment.

Good post. That pretty much says what i was thinking.

Agree 100%. I now expect some of the other bottom feeders (Raiders, Browns, Skins) will fire their coaches before the end of the season in order to better position themselves for the annual coaches derby. Our problem, though, is that Ralph still owns the team.

One of the ESPN guys just said something similar to that. Look for the Bills firing to set the wheels in motion for other teams to get rid of their dead wood. They all want to leap frog each other and be first in line for the hot coach.