Edwards, Flutie, Fitzpatrick, Bledsoe

Marshmallow

As long as we are including retired Bills my choice as starter would be Jim Kelly.

how about "the Mad Bomber" Daryl LaMonica? He had the better arm and actually won a super bowl....I guess he might be the guy for this team. I think he was a bit more mobile than Kelly as well.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about "the Mad Bomber" Daryl LaMonica? He had the better arm and actually won a super bowl....I guess he might be the guy for this team. I think he was a bit more mobile than Kelly as well.

Lamonica played in a SB but didnt win it. He was 66-16 as a starter though.

If the Bills had all 4 of these guys on the team right now...who would you start?

Honestly, I can't imagine Flutie would do any worse than what we have.

And Bledsoe could certainly throw the deep ball to Evans/Owens.

Hands down Doug Flutie! :pirate: Flutie is the Bill's winningest QB since Jim Kelly. The community rallied around him, he got us to the playoffs, and then he was benched for... Rob Johnson. Then, after Rob stunk it up in the wild card game against the Titans, Flutie brought us back, and we would have won that game if not for the special teams debacle known as the "music city miracle". We rewarded all Flutie's efforts by giving him the boot so that Rob wouldn't feel threatened. What I wouldn't give to undue that mistake.

Yeah, I would take Lamonica right after Kelly. Lamonica was not the leader that Kemp or Kelly were though.

against the Titans, Flutie brought us back, and we would have won that game if not for the special teams debacle known as the "music city miracle".

:pirate:

Can we go with none of the above?

1. If the OL was in good shape, I would go with Bledsoe. In its current state, however, Bledose would have no chance behind it.

2. For all you Flutie fanatics, go back and watch game film from that 1999 season. The Bills won a lot of games 13-10 back then because the defense was so good and he would make that one big play to help get the "W". I suppose he would have the best chance for survival behind our existing OL.

3. Edwards already has suffered 2 major concussions. Even if you think that he may eventually develop into a credible NFL starter, you also have to realize that he may be one more hard hit away from retirement.

4. Fitz is a decent backup, plain and simple. BTW, Losman proved last year that he wasn't even capable of playing that role.

Flutie won so many games in 99. The defense blew the game against the New York Giants that year. Like others like to say, Flutie had a lead when he left the field.

Hands down Doug Flutie! :lol: Flutie is the Bill's winningest QB since Jim Kelly. The community rallied around him, he got us to the playoffs, and then he was benched for... Rob Johnson. Then, after Rob stunk it up in the wild card game against the Titans, Flutie brought us back, and we would have won that game if not for the special teams debacle known as the "music city miracle". We rewarded all Flutie's efforts by giving him the boot so that Rob wouldn't feel threatened. What I wouldn't give to undue that mistake.

Impressive, considering he didn't play a down in that game. :pirate:

If the rest of the team is as is......Flutie by a landslide

Considering that Flutie couldn't see over the line then, and wasn't exactly Vick like speed wise, not sure why would want him on this team. Yes he could move around the pocket, but wasn't always because of the rush. He had to in order to see his receivers. With the current speed and agility of the ends and LB's in the league, doubt he would be close to as productive, not that he was even then, as he was in that era.

I know he was a cult hero and loved in the area, but he was better as a short term starter, and struggled if had to start more than 3 games in a row, as they teams had a chance to game plan for him. If he didn't have the huge ego, he would be a nice backup, or player to come in to spark a team, but wouldn't want him as a starter for a whole year. Once teams realize that all you have to do is keep him in the pocket, hes in trouble. Since he cant see to read the defenses, and has a below average arm.

Yeah, I would take Lamonica right after Kelly. Lamonica was not the leader that Kemp or Kelly were though.

When all is said and done...Lamonica led a team to victory in a superbowl...Kelly got there but never got the brass ring. Kemp never got there, losing to Kansas City in the AFL championship game. If one of the characteristics of a great leader is winning the superbowl, LaMonica is better than both of them.

I stand corrected on Lamonica and "winning" the superbowl. Still he could make a good case for being the guy we should have for this team...

from his wikipedia site.

In 1967, Lamonica was traded to the Oakland Raiders with Glenn Bass for Art Powell and Tom Flores. In his first year with the Raiders, he threw for 30 touchdowns and ran for four more. In 1969, he threw for 34 touchdowns and more than 3,300 yards. It was in Oakland that Lamonica's passing acumen earned him the nickname "The Mad Bomber."

With Lamonica, the Raiders won three straight Western Division titles and one American Football League Championship. The Raiders made one World Championship Game appearance with Lamonica as quarterback, losing to the Green Bay Packers, 33-14, in Super Bowl II. Lamonica threw for two touchdowns in the game. Lamonica quarterbacked the Raiders during the Heidi Game.

Lamonica was a three-time American Football League All-Star and twice was selected as the American Football League's Most Valuable Player, in 1967 and 1969. Lamonica's last season in the NFL was 1974. Lamonica played for one season (1975) in the short-lived World Football League as quarterback of the Southern California Sun where in limited time he went 9 for 19 and gained 90 yards for 1 touchdown.

I'm sure you're very good at what you do for a living, so stick to it, because your human analytical skills leave much to be desired. Unlesss, of course, you really are a psychologist, in which case you may choose to re-evaluate your situation, but hey, that's your call. Just some friendly advice from a guy that can confidently say that you are not good at reading people--at least not in this forum.

As a side note, I regularly admit that I'm wrong, but I only do so when I feel I actually am. Ask my better half, she'll tell you how often I'm wrong.

You said that Flutie is a "winner". I said that no, he was not, because a "winner" would win in the playoffs, hence the term "winner". Bledsoe won in the playoffs; got to a Superbowl even. Ok, so they lost to Favre's Packers. I'd rather have a chance at the Superbowl than lose in the first round of the playoffs.

I bring up the Superbowl because that IS the goal. You appear to understand that, yet you don't place a premium on getting there. Although it would be nice, the NFL doesn't award Superbowls for great play in the CFL or losing in the first round of the playoffs. Bledsoe was more successful than Flutie in the playoffs. That's why I bring it up.

Bledsoe got NE to a Superbowl.

Flutie got no one to a Superbowl.

I'll take the guy that can get a team to the Superbowl. Got it?

Flutie may have taken a team to the Superbowl, if a moronic owner didn't put his two cents in and force Wade Phillips to play a surfer boy quarterback in the playoff game against Tennessee. The Bills were the hottest team in the AFC going into the playoffs that season. If winning a Superbowl is the only way you can be a winner, than alot of players that were commonly known as winners, are losers in your book-Dan Marino, Jim Kelly (or anyone who has ever played for the Bills for that matter), Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell, Steve Largent, Cris Carter, Dick Butkus, Ozzie Newsome, Warren Moon, I can go on and on with greats that haven't won a Super Bowl or even made it there period, which by your standards makes them all losers. On the other hand, by your standards the following are winners based on your standards-Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Brad Johnson, etc. To summarize, you are in the minority around here thinking that Flutie is a loser because he never made it to a Super Bowl and won.

If the Bills had all 4 of these guys on the team right now...who would you start?

Honestly, I can't imagine Flutie would do any worse than what we have.

And Bledsoe could certainly throw the deep ball to Evans/Owens.

Flutie, the last QB to get us to the playoffs and he did it twice.

He excelled at improvising when plays blew up, finding ways to move the chains even when the offense, especially the line, was getting out-played. Behind a good line and in his prime, I'd have to consider Bledsoe. Trent and Fitz haven't proved that they even belong on the same field. Trent makes plays when they are there to be made but that's it. I like Fitz's attitude but he just doesn't have the arm.