Its official: Joey Porter named NFL's 2nd Dirtiest Player

toddgurley

This was from a SI poll of over 296 players. No Buffalo Bill made the top 20. Here is the link: http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...dirtiest-player

And I think it funny that both players were/are Steelers. I hate the steelers lol

Ward I've always thought took a lot of cheap shots. Not necessarily with his helmet as I've seen many claim, but he's constantly dishing out forearms and elbows when he blocks. He does block well, and for that I credit him, but he's got to get the forearm stuff (and the occasional helmet to the chin) under control.

Porter's a strange one for me, though. I know he's an idiot off the field (fighting with Levi Jones, taking bullets in the ass, sicking his pitbulls on someone's pet horse, etc.), but I never really thought of him as much of a cheap shot artists on the field. I do remember his brutal horse collar of Shaun Alexander in the 2006 Superbowl (which never got called; that game was horribly officiated), but other than that I can't really think of anything. If anyone else can, I'd love to be reminded...

Since when is blocking cheap? Every WR in the league should watch tape of Wards blocking and strive to be like him. I hate how the p*ssys have/are turning football into soccer. I saw a player in the Indiana/Iowa game get a 15 yard personal foul for a helmet to helmet TACKLE. A TACKLE! !@#$

Who would be the dirtiest player on the Bills? Geez, can't think of any questionable hit anyone on the team has thrown in ages. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (or am I?). The McKelvin hit on the Rams receiver last year was a little dirty, maybe.

Ward I've always thought took a lot of cheap shots. Not necessarily with his helmet as I've seen many claim, but he's constantly dishing out forearms and elbows when he blocks. He does block well, and for that I credit him, but he's got to get the forearm stuff (and the occasional helmet to the chin) under control.

Porter's a strange one for me, though. I know he's an idiot off the field (fighting with Levi Jones, taking bullets in the ass, sicking his pitbulls on someone's pet horse, etc.), but I never really thought of him as much of a cheap shot artists on the field. I do remember his brutal horse collar of Shaun Alexander in the 2006 Superbowl (which never got called; that game was horribly officiated), but other than that I can't really think of anything. If anyone else can, I'd love to be reminded...

Isnt this F*#$ING FOOTBALL?!? ooh, he hit me with a forearm! waaaaaaah!!

Who would be the dirtiest player on the Bills? Geez, can't think of any questionable hit anyone on the team has thrown in ages. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (or am I?). The McKelvin hit on the Rams receiver last year was a little dirty, maybe.

Donte has a tendency to hit players late. He got a 15yrd penalty in the Tampa game I believe. Wood hits players after the whistle all the time but usually it is striaght on and not a blindside. Those are the only two Bills that even come close in my mind.

Well, Maybin did brush against Schaub after a Schobel sack last Sunday.

Umm, yeah, it is. But hitting a guy in the neck/throat with a forearm is totally illegal in football, so spare me the "I'm and old school tough guy" song and dance.

I don't watch Ward that often, but I've never seen anything like you're describing. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've not seen it.

One thing I can confirm...I would want him on my team.

Umm, yeah, it is. But hitting a guy in the neck/throat with a forearm is totally illegal in football, so spare me the "I'm and old school tough guy" song and dance.

Gimme a break. Any defender that complains about 200 pound Hines Ward laying the lumber on a unsuspecting LB is full of crap. If given the chance to hit an unprotected WR, RB, or QB they all would take it and they would try to kill that player. I like it when an offensive player tees off on a defender. It's part of the game. Keep your head on a swivel!

On a side note Donte Whitner was voted the leagues biggest sweetheart.

I don't watch Ward that often, but I've never seen anything like you're describing. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've not seen it.

One thing I can confirm...I would want him on my team.

I agree. We could totally use another under-appreciated star reciever on this team.

Gimme a break. Any defender that complains about 200 pound Hines Ward laying the lumber on a unsuspecting LB is full of crap. If given the chance to hit an unprotected WR, RB, or QB they all would take it and they would try to kill that player. I like it when an offensive player tees off on a defender. It's part of the game. Keep your head on a swivel!

On a side note Donte Whitner was voted the leagues biggest sweetheart.

I don't remember taking issue with him "laying the lumber" to defenders.

In fact, I seem to remember crediting him with being a good blocker. I also remember saying that I don't like the fact that he throws elbows and forearms every chance he gets (they're far more prevalent than his occasional, but no less dirty, helmet shots). That's garbage football and I don't think there's a place for it. Block with your shoulders and hands, Hines, you've shown your totally capable of it.

Incidentally, since you brought it up, there is indeed a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver, but nothing of it's equivalent for a defensive player, of which Ward used to take full advantage. That is, of course, until the NFL cited Ward's repeated hits away from the play using the crown of his helmet as the causitive factor for creastion of the "Hines Ward rule", with which Ward swears he won't comply. In fact, he was quoted as saying that his only option other than hitting players blindly away from the play would be to take out their knees.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-named-for-him/

I'd call that a dirty player.

I don't remember taking issue with him "laying the lumber" to defenders.

In fact, I seem to remember crediting him with being a good blocker. I also remember saying that I don't like the fact that he throws elbows and forearms every chance he gets (they're far more prevalent than his occasional, but no less dirty, helmet shots). That's garbage football and I don't think there's a place for it. Block with your shoulders and hands, Hines, you've shown your totally capable of it.

Incidentally, since you brought it up, there is indeed a penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver, but nothing of it's equivalent for a defensive player, of which Ward used to take full advantage. That is, of course, until the NFL cited Ward's repeated hits away from the play using the crown of his helmet as the causitive factor for creastion of the "Hines Ward rule", with which Ward swears he won't comply. In fact, he was quoted as saying that his only option other than hitting players blindly away from the play would be to take out their knees.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...-named-for-him/

I'd call that a dirty player.

I see these types of hits being handed out by defenders every week. Sometimes they get called for a penalty, sometimes they don't. If you want to call Hines Ward dirty because he likes to hit unsuspecting defensive players, then you really have to call more than half the league dirty. The Hines Ward rule is a legit promotion of player safety. I think most of Hines Ward's critics have come alive because of his association to this rule. The only thing that makes him directly involved with the rule is that they used his block on Keith Rivers as the model. The model could have been hundreds of hits put out before and after the rule was instilled. Including some of our favorite players as Bills fans.

I'll have to take your word on the elbows and forearm stuff, I've never seen it from Ward but I do get a chance to see it in most NFL games. These players are going at speeds we can't imagine and are being told to destroy their opponent. We celebrate the most violent of plays, like they matter more than the score. Hines Ward is just a WR doing the unexpected and playing as the attacker. Have you ever heard Ward talk about it? His take is that if he and his teamates can repeatedly get hit like that during a game why is it so wrong for him to hit defenders. A reporter asked him if he was scared of retribution, and he said that if given the chance a defender is always going to try and kill him, regrdless of how he blocks or not. That's the truth.

If the league wants to continue to try and take the violent hits out of the game thats fine. Just don't call Hines Ward dirty for making plays that many before him and after him make. Do you remeber the Bryce Paup sack that Buffalo fans celebrated like a badge of honor? I forget who he hit but it was nasty and replayed about a 1000 times on every NFL commercial. It was crown to chin and violent. Part of the game.

I see these types of hits being handed out by defenders every week. Sometimes they get called for a penalty, sometimes they don't. If you want to call Hines Ward dirty because he likes to hit unsuspecting defensive players, then you really have to call more than half the league dirty. The Hines Ward rule is a legit promotion of player safety. I think most of Hines Ward's critics have come alive because of his association to this rule. The only thing that makes him directly involved with the rule is that they used his block on Keith Rivers as the model. The model could have been hundreds of hits put out before and after the rule was instilled. Including some of our favorite players as Bills fans.

I'll have to take your word on the elbows and forearm stuff, I've never seen it from Ward but I do get a chance to see it in most NFL games. These players are going at speeds we can't imagine and are being told to destroy their opponent. We celebrate the most violent of plays, like they matter more than the score. Hines Ward is just a WR doing the unexpected and playing as the attacker. Have you ever heard Ward talk about it? His take is that if he and his teamates can repeatedly get hit like that during a game why is it so wrong for him to hit defenders. A reporter asked him if he was scared of retribution, and he said that if given the chance a defender is always going to try and kill him, regrdless of how he blocks or not. That's the truth.

If the league wants to continue to try and take the violent hits out of the game thats fine. Just don't call Hines Ward dirty for making plays that many before him and after him make. Do you remeber the Bryce Paup sack that Buffalo fans celebrated like a badge of honor? I forget who he hit but it was nasty and replayed about a 1000 times on every NFL commercial. It was crown to chin and violent. Part of the game.

Again, my issue isn't with Ward's attitude toward taking the physicality to the defense as much as they take it to the offense. I actually like that part. I just think that there's a clean way to do it, and a not-so-clean way, and that Ward chooses the latter more often than his peers.

P.S. The Bryce Paup his was on Paul Justin--the backup QB for the Colts, and you can Youtube it to see that the crown of Paup's helmet was up; he went facemask-to-facemask with Justin, which I believe is still legal according to the current rules.