Not real excited about having Losman

jahnyc

I know everybody seems to want to have Losman start playing now so he will be ready to be the starter next year, but I am not excited about that prospect (next year starter, that is). Why? After four poor seasons, next season I want to see a team ready to compete and make the playoffs. While I understand that Losman needs to play and get experience, I really don't want to watch Losman go through growing pains next year and the following year.

Maybe, if we cut Bledsoe, we could bring in another veteran next year who would be better suited to run this offense and help us to be competitive immediately. Afterall, while Losman should be given every opportunity to claim the starting QB position over the next couple of years, there are no assurances that he will be the guy.

Considering that our defense has played well, even an incremental improvement in our offense could make a significant difference in our record.

I know everybody seems to want to have Losman start playing now so he will be ready to be the starter next year, but I am not excited about that prospect (next year starter, that is).  Why?  After four poor seasons, next season I want to see a team ready to compete and make the playoffs.  While I understand that Losman needs to play and get experience, I really don't want to watch Losman go through growing pains next year and the following year.

Maybe, if we cut Bledsoe, we could bring in another veteran next year who would be better suited to run this offense and help us to be competitive immediately.  Afterall, while Losman should be given every opportunity to claim the starting QB position over the next couple of years, there are no assurances that he will be the guy. 

Considering that our defense has played well, even an incremental improvement in our offense could make a significant difference in our record.

120122[/snapback]

What veteran do you suggest we bring in --- Vinny might be available ;)

If the team was close, then another veteran might be able to do it. But this team is not even close to being in contention. In fact, they are about 40 new players away from competing again. We have to rebuild, and it will take a couple years, but we have no choice. Losman will go through growing pains, I just hope that he gets alot of them this season rather than starting next season still learning.

no,no,no,no,no.....The Bills gave a first round pick up to get a QB in last years draft, to have him here THIS year. We have a "veteran" in house now (heavy sigh). Play the dude right freaking now, and you minimize his "growing pains" for next year. This season is DONE, OVER, ADIOS. If he is healthy enough to mop up a blow out, he is healthy enough to start, especially against the #29 defense in the NFL at home. Why wait any longer? It doesn't make any sense.

Hey why not....let's bring in a Kurt Warner and watch him get sacked and fumble!

I want J.P. to play ASAP. I like his cocky attitude and I think it will rub off on our mentally soft team.

Watching Drew stand on the sidelines with a bus stop face is just pathetic. The QB is your leader. What confidence does that instill to a young team like we do watching Drew.

Right now, we have a top ten defense, probably one of the more productive ST units and a bottom 5 offense. You can view these #s as either statistical ranking or objective quality. Assuming we're able to maintain our defensive & ST talent levels, elevating our offensive to the level of mediocrity should be sufficient to have us vie for playoffs. Remember, there's 12 playoff teams & 20 not. So depending on the relative value of each aspect (Dee, Off & ST) a rank in the middle offensively, puts us in the lower echelon of playoff caliber.

I realize that statistical (or subjective quality) ratings do not perfectly equate to playoff standing/ranking, but I think they're a pretty positive indicator.

Kinda like how Pittsburgh is going through a growing pain season this year with their rookie qb?

120142[/snapback]

The problem with this logic is everyone thinks that their rookie QB will have the same results as Roethlisberger. I doubt it. While I hope JP does well, it is unreasonable to think he will have the same results as Ben R

If the team was close, then another veteran might be able to do it. But this team is not even close to being in contention. In fact, they are about 40 new players away from competing again. We have to rebuild, and it will take a couple years, but we have no choice. Losman will go through growing pains, I just hope that he gets alot of them this season rather than starting next season still learning.

120138[/snapback]

That was a typo, right? You meant 4 new players? :ph34r:

If nothing else a QB with wheels might help the OL. ;)

If he was healthy Sunday night, he will be healthy Sunday afternoon. Let the growing pains begin!

The problem with this logic is everyone thinks that their rookie QB will have the same results as Roethlisberger.  I doubt it.  While I hope JP does well, it is unreasonable to think he will have the same results as Ben R

120164[/snapback]

But at least they took the chance that he would be great...

...elevating our offensive to the level of mediocrity should be sufficient to have us vie for playoffs.

120156[/snapback]

We traded a first round pick for Losman. If he can't come in after one year of sitting on the bench and "learning" and ELEVATE this corpse of an offense to at least the level of MEDIOCRITY, than what does that say about the pick? How hard is it to hand off to McGahee 25 times to set up a pass to Moulds/Evans/Reed or Campbell?

When do you take the risk on this kid? Training camp? Next season? Or do you find out what you have in-house right now?

I think once the Bills lose one more game then JP comes in. Drew starts this week and if he loses, and loses bad then JP comes in for Seattle. If Drew wins he keeps going until he loses.

Some follow-up points:

1. Losman should be starting now to get experience. The only reason not to start him is if he is still injured.

2. If we waive Bledsoe, we will need a veteran qb for next year. We can't go in to next season assuming that Losman will play well or stay healthy for the entire year. I also don't think we should stick with Losman for the entire season next year if he plays poorly just because he is a number one pick.

3. As we all know, qbs can take years to develop. Ben R. is the rare exception. Our goal should be to be competitive with Losman or with whomever is our back-up qb next year.

The only reason not to start him is if he is still injured.

I'd like to clarify/ point out, that beyond being healthy enough to play, it would also be of great benefit for him to have gotten in adequate practice time. All indications are that that is not yet the case. Hopefully, now that he's sufficiently healed to play in a game, he's getting about 50% of the 'real' snaps in practice.