Thank god the Bills took Maybin and not Cushing

Cru Jones

Because the bills have no need for a solid tackling LB who makes plays. What the Bills defense needed was a DE who is: undersized, cant play LB, gets 10% of the defensive snaps, and runs 15 yards into the backfield before making a move towards the QB. Hindsight is 20/20 but how nice would it be to have a player with what Cushing brings to the table on this defense right now?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the bills have no need for a solid tackling LB who makes plays. What the Bills defense needed was a DE who is: undersized, cant play LB, gets 10% of the defensive snaps, and runs 15 yards into the backfield before making a move towards the QB. Hindsight is 20/20 but how nice would it be to have a player with what Cushing brings to the table on this defense right now?

Is anyone else getting sick of these threads? Talk to me when these guys do something against another team, not our offense. When you watch these guys play other games you don't hear their names get called. Maybin would get three sacks against our O-Line.

no i think he has a point. this defense needs every down players who are big enough to stay in the game and make plays. not undersized weaklings like maybin. i don't know if this cushing is any good or not, but while we sit around here waiting for poz to break his arm again, other teams draft linebackers who can make plays. maybin was a classic bills "luxury pick" we couldn't afford...like mcgahee a few years ago.

Is anyone else getting sick of these threads? Talk to me when these guys do something against another team, not our offense. When you watch these guys play other games you don't hear their names get called. Maybin would get three sacks against our O-Line.

Actually Cushing has been doing it all year. He was up for Rookie of the week last week with 9 tackles, 2 fumbles and an INT against Cincy. He's 10th in the NFL in tackles and as stated during the game he's the ONLY defensive player to have a saftey, forced fumble, sack and int. I'd much rather have him than Maybin

Not to mention he's a STARTER on his team, not a backup.

no i think he has a point. this defense needs every down players who are big enough to stay in the game and make plays. not undersized weaklings like maybin. i don't know if this cushing is any good or not, but while we sit around here waiting for poz to break his arm again, other teams draft linebackers who can make plays. maybin was a classic bills "luxury pick" we couldn't afford...like mcgahee a few years ago.

What he said.

The funny thing is, if you look at Maybin's body langauage, he acts like he still thinks he's good!

You're right. On a play where Schobel got a sack, (completely on his own) the dumbass Maybin had to throw an arm into Schaub after he was already down. It was as though he needed to look like he had something to do with the play, and he's fortunate a flag wasn't thrown. He came right off the field for the upcoming third down play, I'm guessing the coaches weren't too happy with his almost penalty. It seems the only plays he is noticeable on are penalties (lining up in the neutral zone on third down, etc). The guy is mostly invisible and gets pushed around on every play. Cushing is ten times the player Maybin is. AM is headed down the bust route if the new coaching staff( that is hopefully inevitable at this point) doesn't move him to LB. That looks like his only chance to be any kind of player at this level.

Go look at defensive ends taken in the first round and look at their sack numbers their rookie year compared to their 2nd and 3rd year. I heard someone mentioned either last years or 2 years ago DE class combined for single diget sacks.

Go look at defensive ends taken in the first round and look at their sack numbers their rookie year compared to their 2nd and 3rd year. I heard someone mentioned either last years or 2 years ago DE class combined for single diget sacks.

Good point. Rookie DEs often take a while to get going. Rookie LBs often contribute right away.

It would be nice to see something out of Maybin, but the fact that we haven't so far just means that he's like many other DE picks. He may well be a bust, but it is really too early to say anything with any degree of certainty.

I know that these type of threads are not going to stop.....but I will keep trying to throw reason in when I can.......

- Linebackers come into the NFL more "NFL Ready" to play then linemen do.......both O and D linemen.....it has been proven time and time again that DE's need a year to really see what you have.......

- Combine this with the fact that Maybin is UNDERSIZED and a UNDERCLASSMAN

Then this is what you have......every other DE that was taken in this past draft was moved to a LB position (1st rounder except for one who is a huge DE) with the exception of Maybin and I think that most of them get more playing time then Maybin.

Maybin was a pick for the future........now if you want to make the arguement that we needed a immediate contributer then that might be a valid arguement.....one i still wouldnt agree with because the bills were not doing squat this year from day one.......so what if Maybin puts in weight.......gets in a NFL strength program.......and then ends up being more productive next year at his position then Cushing is at his position......then it was a GOOD investment.

Drafting 1st round linemen are investments for the future......Wood, Levitre, Maybin.....all investments for NEXT year.

With the amount of money we have already tied up in Kelsay and Schobel; we really should not have needed to be in the market for a DE. That being said, we needed a player that could have an immediate impact. Orapko was clearly the DE that was most prepared to step into the NFL.

We need a new coach and GM that are building a program or a system. Modrack has been drafting for three different coaches, there is no consistency our continuity. I hope we bring in Marty Shottenheimer and give him full control.... his teams are hardnosed and winners. He is always true to his plan and philosophy... this is what we need!

Thank god the Bills took Maybin and not Cushing Orakpo

I know that these type of threads are not going to stop.....but I will keep trying to throw reason in when I can.......

- Linebackers come into the NFL more "NFL Ready" to play then linemen do.......both O and D linemen.....it has been proven time and time again that DE's need a year to really see what you have.......

- Combine this with the fact that Maybin is UNDERSIZED and a UNDERCLASSMAN

Then this is what you have......every other DE that was taken in this past draft was moved to a LB position (1st rounder except for one who is a huge DE) with the exception of Maybin and I think that most of them get more playing time then Maybin.

Maybin was a pick for the future........now if you want to make the arguement that we needed a immediate contributer then that might be a valid arguement.....one i still wouldnt agree with because the bills were not doing squat this year from day one.......so what if Maybin puts in weight.......gets in a NFL strength program.......and then ends up being more productive next year at his position then Cushing is at his position......then it was a GOOD investment.

Drafting 1st round linemen are investments for the future......Wood, Levitre, Maybin.....all investments for NEXT year.

100% not true

I think every man on the roster should be capable of being an every-down player. I don't think you can waste a roster spot with a guy that can only play in certain situations besides the kicker and punter. Other than that, a guy has to be able to play all 4 downs.

I don't think cushing was available.....

Yes he was, Cushing went 16th (maybin 11th)

I apologize for not making it more clear when I started the thread that I dont dislike Maybin or think he'll never contribute and be a good Player. I just hate the bills taking a good player who cant contribute right away, when that is exactly what they need and Cushing is that type of player. Every year there is a Maybin type talent and if they had taken a guy like Cushing who could help solidify thier defense now and a luxury pick like maybin wouldnt be such a bad thing in a year or two. So the post was directed at the FO and coaching woes not Maybin, who I think will some day be a nice player.

/////\\\\\

Factoids:

-Cushing was available when we picked... so what, we needed Oher who has more worth to a team and his upside so far has been huge

-Maybin is not NFL ready and may never be. Just not strong enough. He should try to be a LB if he has no real chance to do anything as a DE

-Rookie DE need time to excel... rarely is that true. A bad rookie with upside gets 4-8 sacks for the season. Mabin will get 2-3 sacks at most, and is mathematically projected to a whopping ZERO sacks.

-His strength is no where near DE level. His size increase from the 230's to 250 for the combine is not real strength increase, but roid muscle. It helps for leverage, but not for strength. He's not showing leverage or strength. Getting "big" is not the same thing as getting strong. Strength training is at the 4-6 rep range, muscle growth is best at the 8-12 rep range.

Honestly though, he who cares as we have no identity on offense and our defense plays well without Maybin. I just more upset we aren't playing Ellis over Maybin and see what he has.