NBA fixed beyond what I ever imagined

bills_fan

The link below has some of the most explosive stuff I've ever read about a sports league. Just amazing. I know to take it with a grain of salt, but its pretty damning.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-...ant-you-to-read

And here is some commentary about the excerpts, with anonymous quotes from league execs confirming its truth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiEw...o&type=lgns

The link below has some of the most explosive stuff I've ever read about a sports league. Just amazing. I know to take it with a grain of salt, but its pretty damning.

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-...ant-you-to-read

And here is some commentary about the excerpts, with anonymous quotes from league execs confirming its truth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AiEw...o&type=lgns

If you were going to fix a sport, NBA would seem to be the easiest. Less players on a team = a bigger impact on the game. NBA sucks ass anyway.

On a scale of 1 to 100, my surprise at the stuff in that article is a -3.

I really did not think it happened as much between the refs. My take is that Donaghy is exaggerating the "subtle" message from the league to make himself seem like less of an outlier. My suprise is how the refs take the game into their own hands as often as they do. And given MLB's plethora of blown calls this postseason and their absolute refusal to even consider replay, it does make me pause just a bit.

I really did not think it happened as much between the refs. My take is that Donaghy is exaggerating the "subtle" message from the league to make himself seem like less of an outlier. My suprise is how the refs take the game into their own hands as often as they do. And given MLB's plethora of blown calls this postseason and their absolute refusal to even consider replay, it does make me pause just a bit.

Thanks for posting that. Really interesting stuff, no matter what angle you're looking at it from. I agree with you that Donaghy is probably exaggerating a good deal of what is said in those excerpts. It might be a last-ditch effort to try and save his name, or simply a money-making move. Either way, like you said, it is tough to believe anything he says about his time in the NBA without a grain of salt. Let's see if any of the many referees that he seems to mention in this book come forward and validate any of this. If so, things get real interesting, real quick.

I would hope in response to this that the NBA would significantly up its quality control. Three palming violations on Iverson right after he criticizes a ref should warrant an immediate investigation.

In fact, all leagues should adopt high quality control standards to root out agendas, just call the damn game without an agenda.

I read that the other day, pretty crazy. I don't think any one particular thing was overly shocking; it's just how prevalent and out in the open the refs were about the things they were doing. The "Memos from the league office" stuff is disturbing, too. It's obvious the league execs view it as a TV show just as much as it's a sport.

It's just as possible to happen in the NFL, too. Those pass interference judgement calls and roughing the passer calls are strictly ONE ref's opinion, and are basically undisputable. They can have a HUGE impact on a drive, and on a game. I would not put it past the reality TV show that is the NFL to send the "ambiguous memo" to the refs, trying to nudge a marquee team into the playoffs over a team that is perceived to be lower down in the hierarchy. Given the nature of the game, and the fact that you can call holding on any play, it certainly wouldn't be too hard for the refs to at least provide an advantage for one team or the other.

Ugly stuff, but big money has always had the propensity to lead to big corruption.

I would hope in response to this that the NBA would significantly up its quality control. Three palming violations on Iverson right after he criticizes a ref should warrant an immediate investigation.

In fact, all leagues should adopt high quality control standards to root out agendas, just call the damn game without an agenda.

:worthy::wallbash:

Yep the next and not too far off league is:

The NHL

Then you have the NFL coming in a close third with the MLB way far back.

Hate to get on my anti-cap soapbox, but IMO... The cap only starts the agenda and collusion.

MLB... Still truly an American game... Still pumping out more different champions...

As mentioned previosly, this guy has a huge agenda...but I clearly remember watching that sacremento-LA game, and it was truly the first time where I said I think somethings up with reffing.

Maybe I am naive, but I do not think it happens in the NHL..i think there are a lot of bad calls made in the NHL, but they seem to even out..except I must admit seems like the Flyers get some awful calls all year round...and good for them they deserve it :wallbash::worthy:

As mentioned previosly, this guy has a huge agenda...

Just like Jose Canseco, it is perfectly natural and predictable for the establishment to crucify this guy as a rat, a liar, and a cheat. And just like Canseco's comments were proven to be, I suspect that almost everything this guy says is true.

And I'm not somebody who usually takes the "poppulist Buffalo sports fan" position of hating on the NBA at every opportunity. But this whole thing is a disgrace. David Stern is a joke. ESPN is a joke for practically sweeping the whole thing under the rug to protect their interest. It should be a much much bigger story than steroids.

And I'm not somebody who usually takes the "poppulist Buffalo sports fan" position of hating on the NBA at every opportunity. But this whole thing is a disgrace. David Stern is a joke. ESPN is a joke for practically sweeping the whole thing under the rug to protect their interest. It should be a much much bigger story than steroids.

We as BFLO fans have every right to hate on the NBA... It was Stern and the Celtics that screwed us out of a team.

I think fixing goes on in every sport. This a Wikipedia article on Bavetta that I found interesting

Controversies

[edit]Altercations with Earl Strom

According to Darryl Dawkins's autobiography, Bavetta was officiating an NBA game during the mid-1970s between the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets with Earl Strom as his partner for that game.[14] Bavetta overruled Strom on a crucial last-second personal foul call against the Nets, which would have been a victory for the 76ers.[14] When the game ended and players were walking to their respective locker rooms, the door to the referees' locker room flew open and Bavetta came staggering out.[14] His uniform was allegedly ripped and he was wearing a big welt over his eye, running to get away from Strom.[14] Strom stepped out into the hallway and hollered after Bavetta, "You'll take another one of my !@#$ing calls again, right, you mother!@#$er?"[14] Strom was later fined for the incident.[15]

Bavetta had another altercation with Strom when he choked him during halftime of an NBA game in 1989 for allegedly siding with the home crowd. Strom reportedly apologized two weeks later.[3]

[edit]Allegation of game fixing

Bavetta was one of three referees for the Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between Sacramento Kings and the Los Angeles Lakers. Former referee Tim Donaghy has alleged that at least one of the referees working this game had subjective motives for wanting the Lakers to defeat the Kings, and made officiating calls to effectuate this outcome.[16][17] The NBA has not permitted Bavetta to speak publicly regarding the incident, though The New York Times reported on June 12, 2008 that the FBI is investigating allegations that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals had been manipulated to further the series to a seventh game.[18]

I think fixing goes on in every sport. This a Wikipedia article on Bavetta that I found interesting

Controversies

[edit]Altercations with Earl Strom

According to Darryl Dawkins's autobiography, Bavetta was officiating an NBA game during the mid-1970s between the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets with Earl Strom as his partner for that game.[14] Bavetta overruled Strom on a crucial last-second personal foul call against the Nets, which would have been a victory for the 76ers.[14] When the game ended and players were walking to their respective locker rooms, the door to the referees' locker room flew open and Bavetta came staggering out.[14] His uniform was allegedly ripped and he was wearing a big welt over his eye, running to get away from Strom.[14] Strom stepped out into the hallway and hollered after Bavetta, "You'll take another one of my !@#$ing calls again, right, you mother!@#$er?"[14] Strom was later fined for the incident.[15]

Bavetta had another altercation with Strom when he choked him during halftime of an NBA game in 1989 for allegedly siding with the home crowd. Strom reportedly apologized two weeks later.[3]

[edit]Allegation of game fixing

Bavetta was one of three referees for the Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between Sacramento Kings and the Los Angeles Lakers. Former referee Tim Donaghy has alleged that at least one of the referees working this game had subjective motives for wanting the Lakers to defeat the Kings, and made officiating calls to effectuate this outcome.[16][17] The NBA has not permitted Bavetta to speak publicly regarding the incident, though The New York Times reported on June 12, 2008 that the FBI is investigating allegations that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference finals had been manipulated to further the series to a seventh game.[18]

the kings/lakers game is a scary example..you could see that whole game being manipulated. cost the kings a title

Just like Jose Canseco, it is perfectly natural and predictable for the establishment to crucify this guy as a rat, a liar, and a cheat. And just like Canseco's comments were proven to be, I suspect that almost everything this guy says is true.

Exactly.

People have been talking about that fixed Spurs-Lakers game for years. And the evidence of overwhelming foul discrepancies in certain games and for/against certain players is all recorded in black and white. How often did Jordan ever get called for an offensive foul? Not very.

If Donaghy was making this stuff up, why would he have bet the way he did? The guy wasn't a degenerate gambler like Pete Rose. He was Martha Stewart -- trading on inside information.

Braves are before my time. Please explain.

Stern was a lawyer for the league... He brokered the deal. The Boston Celtics owner wanted to move his team to the west coast. So they swapped owners, the Braves and Celtics and moved the Braves to San Diego... Becoming the Clippers... Then to LA.

Anyone... Am I missing something besides a Bills game? :doh:

Exactly.

People have been talking about that fixed Spurs-Lakers game for years. And the evidence of overwhelming foul discrepancies in certain games and for/against certain players is all recorded in black and white. How often did Jordan ever get called for an offensive foul? Not very.

If Donaghy was making this stuff up, why would he have bet the way he did? The guy's wasn't a degenerate gambler like Pete Rose. He was Martha Stewart -- trading on inside information.

I've always blamed that on Jordan. Not that it was his fault, but that right around the time that Jordan became a megastar, the NBA went from a league that gave its superstar players the "benefit of the doubt" on calls -- meaning if it was close, the star got the call -- to a league where the superstar gets virtually all calls. Granted, there were refs who wouldnt foul Wilt Chamberlain out of a game, but he and other superstars like Jabbar and Bird and Magic would get the benefit of the doubt, but not almost every single call. Kobe gets that now. It's my opinion, watching a lot of NBA games, that Jordan was the first.