The Bills can't win against teams with a strong Offense

Got_Wood

Bottom line: we've got a defense that can hold mediocre-to-bad offensive teams to minimal scoring. The bend but don't break defense leaves the opposing offense on the field as long as they can, trying to force errors/turnovers. We rarely give up big pass plays, as we play opposing WR's with a huge cushion. The problem is, the defense begins to get tired if our offense can't produce. And that's when good offenses will start to hammer us. Just like the Pats, Saints, and Dolphins did. Each scored 15, 17, and 21 points respectively in the 2nd half of each game.

Look where the teams we lost to rank in offense: (not including the Browns game because it was a stalemate of mediocre teams)

Pats - 4th

Saints - 1st

Dolphins - 11th

Look where the teams we beat rank in offense:

Jets - 19th

Panthers - 25th

Buccaneers - 28th

If the opposing offense is just as mediocre as ours, the game is up in the air (like the Browns game). We have a chance at winning those games. The rest of the schedule should look something like this based on the strength of opposing offenses:

Houston - 13th ranked offense - LOSS

Titans - 27th - WIN

Jaguars - 21st - WIN (Likely a close game. Should come down to the end.)

Miami - 11th - LOSS

Jets - 19th - LOSS (Another close battle. I'm guessing they get revenge this time)

Chiefs - 26th - WIN

Patriots - 4th - LOSS

Atlanta - 12th - LOSS

Colts - 2nd - LOSS

Based on this prediction, we're looking at anywhere from a 5-11 to a 7-9 season depending on a couple close battles with the Jags and Jets.

Our fate can change, however. We have to do something to fix this offense. We've got to keep our best weapons on the field. I would play Freddy in the slot more often, as he makes things happen out there. We should try Hardy and Johnson out there more and more to see if we can get some production out of them as well. Nelson's return should be big since Fine hasn't produced also. We need our home run hitters out there as much as possible, and we need to give them opportunities to succeed. Our fate depends on it.

Bottom line: we've got a defense that can hold mediocre-to-bad offensive teams to minimal scoring. The bend but don't break defense leaves the opposing offense on the field as long as they can, trying to force errors/turnovers. We rarely give up big pass plays, as we play opposing WR's with a huge cushion. The problem is, the defense begins to get tired if our offense can't produce. And that's when good offenses will start to hammer us. Just like the Pats, Saints, and Dolphins did. Each scored 15, 17, and 21 points respectively in the 2nd half of each game.

Look where the teams we lost to rank in offense: (not including the Browns game because it was a stalemate of mediocre teams)

Pats - 4th

Saints - 1st

Dolphins - 11th

Jets - 19th

Panthers - 25th

Buccaneers - 28th

If the opposing offense is just as mediocre as ours, the game is up in the air (like the Browns game). We have a chance at winning those games. The rest of the schedule should look something like this based on the strength of opposing offenses:

Titans - 27th - WIN

Miami - 11th - LOSS

Jets - 19th - LOSS (Another close battle. I'm guessing they get revenge this time)

Chiefs - 26th - WIN

Patriots - 4th - LOSS

Atlanta - 12th - LOSS

Colts - 2nd - LOSS

Based on this prediction, we're looking at anywhere from a 5-11 to a 7-9 season depending on a couple close battles with the Jags and Jets.

Our fate can change, however. We have to do something to fix this offense. We've got to keep our best weapons on the field. I would play Freddy in the slot more often, as he makes things happen out there. We should try Hardy and Johnson out there more and more to see if we can get some production out of them as well. Nelson's return should be big since Fine hasn't produced also. We need our home run hitters out there as much as possible, and we need to give them opportunities to succeed. Our fate depends on it.

Our defense cannot stop anyone its the opposing Qbs that are prone to the mistakes that gives this team a chance to win. The Jets game noway in hell we should have won that game but we were lucky enough somehow to win.

The panthers dominated us in every aspect of the game but the oppsoing Qb gave us to key turnivers to put us in the position to win the game tough break for them lucky break for us.

The only difference between the last two games and the first 5 games is BYRD without him the last two games would have been losses. But can Byrd keep up with 2 ints a game to keep this team in it because the offense is certainly doing nothing to help its cause.

However i will state this if the Offense was capable of sustaining some drives throughout a game and dictating some temp this defense CAN do enough to keep us in the game but then again that is a big IF.

the Defense is not necassarily the problem though. I think the issue is that our horrible O cant keep up with good offenses.

Pats game: held them to 10 points through 57 minutes of play before one bonehead gave them the ball on Special Teams, and our equally boneheaded DC called the same defense that had just been torched. But the players executed well all game.

New Orleans: held them to 10 points through 50 minutes of play before our team saw the horrible call made by our coaching and figured "if the coaches dont want to win, why should I?". In this game, we got one lucky TD off a trick fake-FG. Offense, totally ineffective.

I cant comment on the overall ass-kicking that Miami gave us. that was just a divisional blowout by a team who was much better prepared in all aspects.

but even look at Cleveland, we held them to 3 points almost the entire game and still couldnt win it because they put up 3 more after a botched Special Teams play.

again, our defense is far from great, but it has been keeping us in games and WON yesterday's game for us outright.

Well, I agree to a certain extent. The only area I would disagree is that in the games the Bills lost, with the exception of Miami, the defense did well enough holding the opposing quality offenses (Pats and Saints) in check. It is true that the offense is too pathetic to keep up with a good offense in a good old fashioned shootout -- but DJ's defense is predicated on NOT allowing those shootouts to occur. He prefers to die the death of a thousand paper cuts.

Pats - 4th

Saints - 1st

Dolphins - 11th

Jets - 19th

Panthers - 25th

Buccaneers - 28th

Titans - 27th - WIN

Miami - 11th - LOSS

Chiefs - 26th - WIN

Patriots - 4th - LOSS

Atlanta - 12th - LOSS

Colts - 2nd - LOSS

how did the Pats have the 4th ranked offense when they hadn't played a game at the time the Bills played them?

and, seriously, i don't know where you're getting your numbers from, because they're different from what i have in front of me.

Houston - 10th ranked offense.

Titans - 22nd

Jaguars - 11th

Miami - 16th

Jets - 17th

Chiefs - 30th

Patriots - 3rd

Atlanta - 19th

Colts - 4th

heck, by your logic, in beating the Jets, the Bills actually beat what's currently the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack, which I'm guessing is No. 1 in part because it racked up 318 yards against Buffalo. this is a little head-scratching, don't you think?

jw

the Defense is not necassarily the problem though. I think the issue is that our horrible O cant keep up with good offenses.

Pats game: held them to 10 points through 57 minutes of play before one bonehead gave them the ball on Special Teams, and our equally boneheaded DC called the same defense that had just been torched. But the players executed well all game.

New Orleans: held them to 10 points through 50 minutes of play before our team saw the horrible call made by our coaching and figured "if the coaches dont want to win, why should I?". In this game, we got one lucky TD off a trick fake-FG. Offense, totally ineffective.

I cant comment on the overall ass-kicking that Miami gave us. that was just a divisional blowout by a team who was much better prepared in all aspects.

but even look at Cleveland, we held them to 3 points almost the entire game and still couldnt win it because they put up 3 more after a botched Special Teams play.

again, our defense is far from great, but it has been keeping us in games and WON yesterday's game for us outright.

The Bills defence is alot better then people give them credit for, they only look at the stats and don't actually watch the game. This defence kept one of the leagues best offences to one of their lowest scoring of the season, and the only reason they lost the game was because the Bills offence couldn't do anything but give the ball back

Look at almost all of the games this year and the Bills defence keeps Buffalo in the game until usually late in the 3rd or the 4th, when they just hit a wall cause they have been on the field for about 2/3 of the game at that point. Take almost any of the leaguse top 10 defences and give them an offence that keeps going 3 and out and i can almost guarantee you that they don't stay in the top 10 very long

I have said it many, many, many times the last few seasons, THE DEFENCE IS NOT THE PROBLEM, ITS THE OFFENCE. Get an offence that is compitent enough to score more then 20 points a game and the Bills will be competing for a playoff spot late in the year with a defence in the top half of the league, even with jauron as the coach

Let me rephrase my statement that the defense isnt going to stop opposing teams without the help of the offense

The defense has done enough of a job to keep the offense cripple in the game the problem clearly lies with the offense I looked up the stat of third downs and we are ranked 9th in the leaugue in attemts which means we have had the ball a good amount of tmes to makes something happen but the problem is we are ranked 30th in the leaugue in conversions of those third downs. In numbers thats 24 of 94 attemots we completed that is pathetic and this team failing that much is all in the playcalling/excution/penalities which comes down to pure coachin ineptness and predictability.

how did the Pats have the 4th ranked offense when they hadn't played a game at the time the Bills played them?

and, seriously, i don't know where you're getting your numbers from, because they're different from what i have in front of me.

Houston - 10th ranked offense.

Titans - 22nd

Jaguars - 11th

Miami - 16th

Jets - 17th

Chiefs - 30th

Patriots - 3rd

Atlanta - 19th

Colts - 4th

heck, by your logic, in beating the Jets, the Bills actually beat what's currently the NFL's No. 1 rushing attack, which I'm guessing is No. 1 in part because it racked up 318 yards against Buffalo. this is a little head-scratching, don't you think?

jw

The rankings are based on scoring alone. See here. Yards don't mean anything if you don't score. And the rankings are based on the numbers after this weekend, not when we played them. We can see the real numbers at the end of the season. This is the only way to see how we did this year. For instance, I wouldn't say we beat a winning team in the Jets when they were 3-2. They will likely end up around 8-8 or 7-9 by the end of the season.

I still stand by my theory. Could be wrong though.

Let me rephrase my statement that the defense isnt going to stop opposing teams without the help of the offense

The defense has done enough of a job to keep the offense cripple in the game the problem clearly lies with the offense I looked up the stat of third downs and we are ranked 9th in the leaugue in attemts which means we have had the ball a good amount of tmes to makes something happen but the problem is we are ranked 30th in the leaugue in conversions of those third downs. In numbers thats 24 of 94 attemots we completed that is pathetic and this team failing that much is all in the playcalling/excution/penalities which comes down to pure coachin ineptness and predictability.

EXACTLY.

The rankings are based on scoring alone. See here. Yards don't mean anything if you don't score. And the rankings are based on the numbers after this weekend, not when we played them. We can see the real numbers at the end of the season. This is the only way to see how we did this year. For instance, I wouldn't say we beat a winning team in the Jets when they were 3-2. They will likely end up around 8-8 or 7-9 by the end of the season.

I still stand by my theory. Could be wrong though.

i get your point, but yet the numbers are somewhat skewed, i think. and wouldn't you have to take into account points allowed?

for example, the Bills beat the Jets who have the 4th best defense in points allowed. and the Bills nearly beat the Pats, who currently rank 3rd.

on the other hand, oakland ranks 31st in points scored and yet somehow beat Philly, while Minnesota (3rd) lost to Pittsburgh (13t).

i think your formula's a little simplistic.

jw

i get your point, but yet the numbers are somewhat skewed, i think. and wouldn't you have to take into account points allowed?

for example, the Bills beat the Jets who have the 4th best defense in points allowed. and the Bills nearly beat the Pats, who currently rank 3rd.

on the other hand, oakland ranks 31st in points scored and yet somehow beat Philly, while Minnesota (3rd) lost to Pittsburgh (13t).

i think your formula's a little simplistic.

jw

Sometimes I think that it's simpler than all of the stats indicate. Winning in football is about scoring more than your opponent. We can hold off other teams from scoring for a while and force some turnovers. But if our offense doesn't move the football, eat up some clock, and get points on the board... we'll lose.

I tend to think this team can get better. Each game, our offensive line should get better with more experience. We've got good young weapons in Nelson, Hardy, and Johnson that we haven't seen take the field yet. We should find ways to get Jackson and Lynch involved at the same time more often. Not trying to be a downer. Just simply stating where we're at, and hoping we can get better.

Nelson's return should be big since Fine hasn't produced also.

How do you expect him to produce when Edwards is not out there having him run 1 yard out patterns to the sideline, then throwing him the ball when his only option is getting tackled or going out of bounds?