Tyler Myers

Dante

C'mon Jimmy Literal...Some room for exaggeration on a message board? Not with you on the prowl. The point I'm making is, if he's your guy and he's real deal, then why would free agency in 2011 differ from free agency in 2012? You're going to sign him to an extension regardless before his contract is up, if he continues to play like he's shown he can play. He's performing, you pay for performance. Russ Brandon/Jason Peters not withstanding.

Bingo...funny I was a bit wrong on this kid. Course, I made the assumption he was at least a couple years off when i saw him play all of one game inthe World Junior last year. Man, guess thats what they mean by potential, and at his age the improvement comes in leaps and bounds, noy inches.

Can you jst imagine the fan revolt that would take place if they send this kid down. After two years of non playoffs, the exodus of core players etc...to me that might be the last straw for most fans

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C'mon Jimmy Literal...Some room for exaggeration on a message board? Not with you on the prowl. The point I'm making is, if he's your guy and he's real deal, then why would free agency in 2011 differ from free agency in 2012? You're going to sign him to an extension regardless before his contract is up, if he continues to play like he's shown he can play. He's performing, you pay for performance. Russ Brandon/Jason Peters not withstanding.

I'm not calling you out on it. I've seen a heard a few comments already saying he should be extended and the pure stupidity of it bothers me. Anyway, like I hinted at earlier, this is a complete non-issue for the Sabres. They already know they're keeping him around for the season. They're just having a bit of fun with this right now, give the people something to talk about.

I'm not calling you out on it. I've seen a heard a few comments already saying he should be extended and the pure stupidity of it bothers me. Anyway, like I hinted at earlier, this is a complete non-issue for the Sabres. They already know they're keeping him around for the season. They're just having a bit of fun with this right now, give the people something to talk about.

Yeah, I think so too...Darcy plays coy no matter what...He's never layed his plans out there for the media to report and others to read...

Extending him now would be extremely poor management, in the same vein that sending him down to prolong free agency would be.

Yeah, I think so too...Darcy plays coy no matter what...He's never layed his plans out there for the media to report and others to read...

Extending him now would be extremely poor management, in the same vein that sending him down to prolong free agency would be.

The hockey rules confuse me even more than the football, but I belive you can not extend a guy unless only one year leaft on his contract...so Myers has this and next before an extension can be signed anyway...at least thats what I think is the case

The hockey rules confuse me even more than the football, but I belive you can not extend a guy unless only one year leaft on his contract...so Myers has this and next before an extension can be signed anyway...at least thats what I think is the case

The hockey ones are actually far more straightfoward than the NFL. A guy has to be in the last year of his contract before he can be extended. The only limit to that is if it's a guy on a one year deal. That player has to wait until January before they can work on anything.

You do realize they are almost against the cap ceiling?

Exactly Ink... Gotta love the haters.

Think of this team today... It it is very much like 2006.

Sure they lost CD and DB... They have a full time TV to replace them.

The McKee thing... Now replaced with Myers

The only thing I am queasy about is the back-up goaltending... Yikes.

I still contend Marty was the true heart and soul of that 2006 team.

IMO, the Sabres are in better shape for doing what they did!

I still contend Marty was the true heart and soul of that 2006 team.

Apparently, Marty was negotiating with the Sabres in the offseason to come back. He figured he would go to the NYI and get to play more. If our backups are so bad, I could see a deal being made to bring Marty back. I think Marty's deal is relatively inexpensive from what I remember.

You do realize they are almost against the cap ceiling?

Big deal, so is every other team. The cap is $44 mil. Of the 30 teams in the league, 26 of them are at $40 million or more. It's not a difficult task. Most teams have a few high-end guys taking up the majority of the cap hit, Buffalo included, with Vanek, Miller, Pommer, and Connolly making up $23.2 million alone.

The interesting number is Pittsburgh and Washington near the bottom.

The overall team payroll has little to do with organizational frugalness, with regard to negotiational tactics, trades, scouting department, contractual issues like Myers, etc. The Sabres seem to have come around a bit, especially since the Briere/Drury fiasco offseason...I'm not trying to say they're the Florida Panthers...But they can't hide from their history.

I don't doubt that Lindy and Darcy were having a little chuckle at their "We'll continue to monitor him" stance on Myers, as several have said in this thread. But if there was ever a team who would send a contributing, performing player down to junior for contractual purposes alone, the Sabres have a history. They've made plenty of moves that made zero hockey sense, but screamed "Bottom Line."

Apparently, Marty was negotiating with the Sabres in the offseason to come back. He figured he would go to the NYI and get to play more. If our backups are so bad, I could see a deal being made to bring Marty back. I think Marty's deal is relatively inexpensive from what I remember.

What do you do with Lalime? Send him down to Portland while paying him his NHL salary (although it won't count against the cap)? Buy him out at 2/3 his deal, spreading the cap hit over the next 2 years? Making a trade for Marty isn't as simple as do the Sabres want to get him.

Big deal, so is every other team. The cap is $44 mil. Of the 30 teams in the league, 26 of them are at $40 million or more. It's not a difficult task. Most teams have a few high-end guys taking up the majority of the cap hit, Buffalo included, with Vanek, Miller, Pommer, and Connolly making up $23.2 million alone.

That article is 3 years old. Here is a decent and up to date site. It may not change your point, but the Sabres have spent money recently, with the players you've named above as the best examples.

That article is 3 years old. Here is a decent and up to date site. It may not change your point, but the Sabres have spent money recently, with the players you've named above as the best examples.

Hahaha I thought 44 seemed low...

I glanced at the date at the side and it my inverse dyslexia must've read the 6 as a 9...My bad my bad. Thus explains Pitt at $30-some million...Wasn't sure how they were pulling that off with Crosby and Malkin both at $10M+...Hahaha what a doofus...

Yeah, similar results as you pointed out.

What do you do with Lalime? Send him down to Portland while paying him his NHL salary (although it won't count against the cap)? Buy him out at 2/3 his deal, spreading the cap hit over the next 2 years? Making a trade for Marty isn't as simple as do the Sabres want to get him.

Lots of options you just laid out. I won't pretend to know which would be best, but if we have a need, I'll bet there is a way.

Hahaha I thought 44 seemed low...

I glanced at the date at the side and it my inverse dyslexia must've read the 6 as a 9...My bad my bad. Thus explains Pitt at $30-some million...Wasn't sure how they were pulling that off with Crosby and Malkin both at $10M+...Hahaha what a doofus...

Yeah, similar results as you pointed out.

You'll probably complain about me taking things literally again, but they both make $8.7 million a year. No one in the league has hit $10 million and that won't be happening any time soon. Ovechkin's got the biggest deal at $9.358 million. Eric Staal's the only other player in the league at over $8 million annually. That does make the Vanek annual figure a bit more impressive (granted, it is a bit inflated thanks to money he already earned in the first 2 years of the deal) when thinking that this team is cheap.

I don't think the Sabres are cheap at all. They've made a few questionable decisions but that can be said about pretty much any team out there.

The biggest issue they've had is when they've not made the playoffs, it's been just barely. That keeps you out of the sweepstakes for difference making guys like Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, etc.

I'd say they also have a problem drafting in the first round but that' pretty much true of any team that selects after about pick 5 because you're taking an educated guess at best.

Cheap? Not really. Stupid to pay guys like Max and Kotalik instead of dumping them and keeping Drury/Briere? You bet.

Doesn't add a hell of a lot but this from NHL.com today. In no way does this reflect my thoughts on Myers! Just thought Id put it here because it is a thread on the guy.

Decision time on Myers -- Following Wednesday night's game in New Jersey, the Sabres will have to make a decision on whether to send rookie defenseman Tyler Myers back to his junior club, the Kelowna Rockets of the WHL, or to let his pro contract kick in after the allotted nine-game tryout period for players with junior hockey eligibility remaining. The 6-foot-8, 222-pound blueliner has 5 points in 8 games and is a plus-8. The team has applauded his hard work and start to his promising career, and the 19 year-old Myers seems to be comfortable at the pro level.

"Now I just feel like I'm a part of the team," Myers told the Buffalo News. "I'm just trying to help the team win every game. I'm not even thinking about it, and I'm not looking at it like a tryout. More so, I just want to help the team win."

Sabres GM Darcy Regier has been impressed by the young, towering defenseman and now must decide whether his growth will benefit from being in the NHL or back at the junior level.

"He's certainly shown that he'll play in the National Hockey League and be a good player in the National Hockey League," Regier said. "The real questions that revolve around young players, by the very nature of their youth, you have to accept a level of inconsistency in their play. Part of the process here is we have to evaluate what that range is, and whether or not we can support the range and have him grow and have the team grow, have the team win.

"You also evaluate whether you think the player can continue to grow at the junior level or if that is less than an ideal situation."

Goalie Ryan Miller doesn't seem to mind having Myers playing in front of him and likes the youngster's attitude and demeanor.

"He's got the skill and he's got the range to keep up with some of the top players in the League," Miller said of the 12th pick of the 2008 Entry Draft. "At this age it's great to see. We just hope we help him along enough that he reaches that potential. I think he's been a model teammate so far, which is important for this locker room, and he goes out and competes every night. On top of that, he's chipping in, which is great."

Fellow blueliner Toni Lydman is questionable for Wednesday night's game at New Jersey due to a groin injury.

Stupid to pay guys like Max and Kotalik instead of dumping them and keeping Drury/Briere? You bet.

I disagree, there is more to this than we will ever know... I really don't think that keeping CD/DB was going to put the Sabres over the hump no matter whoelse they brought in as the "final piece."

Sure it was painful, IMO (as it was a few years ago too)... The Sabres are better organization for doing what they did. I really always believed this.

Just announced, Myers will be in the lineup tomorrow night for his 10th game, activating his pro contract. He will be around for the foreseeable future (at least 3 years) and hopefully a decade beyond that.

:unsure::lol:

I hope it isn't the "Jay Cutler/Dick Jauron Effect"... Kiss of death (like how he just got extended for mucho money).

Sure TM can test free-agency a year earlier... That just comes with the luxury of having a quality player!

Happy to hear Myers officially staying. Hope he doesn't get too much too fast like what appears to have happened to Luke Schen on the Leafs. Probably won't happen though. Sabres have better coaching. Wilson's a tool.