Story of the season:

murra

I realize that we were able to see Fitz vs. a Jenkins-less defense...

BUT, after you get past that one legitimate excuse, you can't deny that Fitz made "heavy" pressure seem average. The big difference between Trent and Fitz wasn't awareness. Trent knows when the blitz is coming just as well if not better. The difference is what happens next. Fitz just had faith in the extra second or two, bought himself time and continued to check the field. Trent would call it a done play a little bit too early, causing our plays to disrupt.

The offensive line is forced to look bad when the QB quits on the play early every single pass attempt. It's still too early, since Fitz wasn't planned for, etc., but I'm very excited to see next weeks game now. If Fitz is able to fend off the blitz, then I think its safe to say that the story of our season (assuming we end up missing the playoffs of course) is Trent's inability to play with pressure. If I'm right about this, and Fitz makes our O-line appear better... we need to seriously consider an offseason QB acquisition. If Fitz can make the Offense look average, I'd be willing to bet a 1st round QB/veteran FA pick-up could really do the trick.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it matters what Fitz shows when he plays. There's little question the QB position needs to be addressed.

There is a vocal camp out there that would disagree with you on the "little question" issue. As I said in another thread, I saw more of our playbook when Fitz came in than I've seen in over a year. If we see the same next week, it's the final indictment of Trent's inability to see the field... at least for me.

BUT, after you get past that one legitimate excuse, you can't deny that Fitz made "heavy" pressure seem average. The big difference between Trent and Fitz wasn't awareness. Trent knows when the blitz is coming just as well if not better. The difference is what happens next. Fitz just had faith in the extra second or two, bought himself time and continued to check the field. Trent would call it a done play a little bit too early, causing our plays to disrupt.

The offensive line is forced to look bad when the QB quits on the play early every single pass attempt. It's still too early, since Fitz wasn't planned for, etc., but I'm very excited to see next weeks game now. If Fitz is able to fend off the blitz, then I think its safe to say that the story of our season (assuming we end up missing the playoffs of course) is Trent's inability to play with pressure. If I'm right about this, and Fitz makes our O-line appear better... we need to seriously consider an offseason QB acquisition. If Fitz can make the Offense look average, I'd be willing to bet a 1st round QB/veteran FA pick-up could really do the trick.

Thought the same thing. Our decimated, rookie-filled excuse for an OL suddenly looked like world beaters? Providing time for the QB and pancaking on runs? WR's suddenly awakening after 5.5 games? All because the starting QB left/quit/got injured??

Seems pretty incriminating to me.

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed five passes to wide receivers, including a screen to Owens that went for a loss. Two to Owens, two to Evans, one to Reed. That's not good. That's comprable to the numbers Edwards put up last week in that train wreck.

I'm not sure that Fitzpatrick is worse than Edwards, but it's not enough to make a difference.

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed five passes to wide receivers, including a screen to Owens that went for a loss. Two to Owens, two to Evans, one to Reed. That's not good. That's comprable to the numbers Edwards put up last week in that train wreck.

I'm not sure that Fitzpatrick is worse than Edwards, but it's not enough to make a difference.

Some glaring differences in your comparison; Trent practiced with the guys he plays with all week long, Fitz didn't. Trent starts the game and looks this way ALL game long, week in, week out. Fitz, well, let's see what he can do when he gets a full week in at preparation for a team's defense.

I'll say this, he wasn't afraid to let his guys make plays, that's for sure.

Fitz was not a world beater out there. But, at least we saw some of the playbook and saw someone willing to put the ball up to let receivers do their job. It's a start.

If only Fitzpatrick didn't throw like a girl, who knows how many points we could have scored?

Really, he's got no zip on the ball and his accuracy on anything past 10 yards is pathetic (with the exception of the Evans on-catch).

There is the possibility that not only is the offensive line bad, but that TE is also not very good. Hold off on the bust for Canton for Fitzgerald. He wasn't that good, and was helped by field position and all those turnovers, and TE was actually 5/5 when he was hurt. We still look like a 4 win team. The defense looked good, despite the injuries.

If only Fitzpatrick didn't throw like a girl, who knows how many points we could have scored?

Really, he's got no zip on the ball and his accuracy on anything past 10 yards is pathetic (with the exception of the Evans on-catch).

Apparently you and I watched different games. Maybe my futuristic DirecTV and LCD TV speed up the motion of the play. Sure looked like Fitz had MORE zip on the ball than TE to me.

The offensive line is forced to look bad when the QB quits on the play early every single pass attempt.

No ... as was the illustrated by the analyst on tv this week the line was picking up the blitz considerably better ... the replays showed how they were covering the qb's backside by the line rolling left and forming a wall .... They were better ... this was the best they looked and afre improving

You don't understand.

I saw a close up of Trent's wrist band with the plays listed on it. His two choices were "hand off for one yard run up the middle" and "fake long but throw the checkoff pass."

Then when I noticed the plays on Fitz's wrist it said "hold clipboard." Fitz didn't have the clipboard, so he was free to try whatever he wanted.

It also helps tremendously when the opposing QB throws the ball to your team on FOUR CONSECUTIVE POSSESSIONS!

Are we giving Fitz credit for that too?

No, we're saying that the Jets could have given the ball back to Trentie on TEN consecutive possessions, and he still wouldn't have found the end zone :P

Edwards is not able to buy himself the extra split second that even slow footed honest to goodness NFL QBs can. He freaks out under pressure.

He can not anticipate his receivers coming open and he can not 'throw them open'. He can not hit a moving target coming out of a break.

Because he can't buy himself time, keep his focus downfield, trust his receivers, hit them coming out of the break etc. his only option is the 3 yard completion.

He's really not very good.

The fact that it has again taken an injury to put a more capable player on the field is just another nail in Dick's coffin.

Thought the same thing. Our decimated, rookie-filled excuse for an OL suddenly looked like world beaters? Providing time for the QB and pancaking on runs? WR's suddenly awakening after 5.5 games? All because the starting QB left/quit/got injured??

Seems pretty incriminating to me.

Was it Wood who pancaked a jest d-lineman yesterday and was flagged for a bogus hold?

Edwards is not able to buy himself the extra split second that even slow footed honest to goodness NFL QBs can. He freaks out under pressure.

He can not anticipate his receivers coming open and he can not 'throw them open'. He can not hit a moving target coming out of a break.

Because he can't buy himself time, keep his focus downfield, trust his receivers, hit them coming out of the break etc. his only option is the 3 yard completion.

He's really not very good.

The fact that it has again taken an injury to put a more capable player on the field is just another nail in Dick's coffin.

Good post. Don't know how good Fitzpatrick is, but the offense looked better with him in there. Fitzpatrick, if nothing else, looked fearless in the pocket, whereas Edwards has the Bledsoe-waiting-to-get-hit look in his eye.

I don't think it matters what Fitz shows when he plays. There's little question the QB position needs to be addressed.

I think watching Fitz play illustrates how much trent has regressed. When Fitz completed a few passes, I was reminded that some quarterbacks actually throw the ball before the WR finishes their route. Some quarterbacks anticipate a player being open before he's standing and waving his hands wide open. Some qBs hit a receiver in stride. Yep.