Story of the season:

murra

I think watching Fitz play illustrates how much trent has regressed. When Fitz completed a few passes, I was reminded that some quarterbacks actually throw the ball before the WR finishes their route. Some quarterbacks anticipate a player being open before he's standing and waving his hands wide open. Some qBs hit a receiver in stride. Yep.

Bingo!!!! I kept saying the same thing throughout the game and, although I'll grant you he wasn't the most accurate passer I've seen, he threw the ball where it was supposed to be and let the receiver go get it. Unfortunaley T.O. couldn't seem to hold on but Evans did and scored on that laser crossing pattern.

Maybe he needs some practice and playing time or maybe he just isn't that accurate but he knows what to do. It seems evident that Trent does not. With Trent in there I am constantly saying throw it!!!! With Fitz in there I slowly began to say throw it where he can get it because he was throwing it.

Either way it will be intersting to see what happens this week and if he plays better the controversy begins. If he plays better for the rest of the year then we can focus on other needs in the draft, otherwise we need to address this position in the draft and not with another 3rd round pick.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan Fitzpatrick completed five passes to wide receivers, including a screen to Owens that went for a loss. Two to Owens, two to Evans, one to Reed. That's not good. That's comprable to the numbers Edwards put up last week in that train wreck.

I'm not sure that Fitzpatrick is worse than Edwards, but it's not enough to make a difference.

You are missing the entire point of the thread. All you are doing is looking at a stat sheet and making a comparison all the while completely ignoring the glaring difference. So let me point them out clearer:

1. Fitz targeted the WR's a lot, and most of the time the WR's were in position to make a catch if there had been a better throw. This just further illustrates that Trents LACK of WR targets and downfield passes is not because no one is open, but because he lacks patience, field vision, and ability to see them.

2. This thread was about the OL looking better in front of Fitz than it did in front of Trent...not a thread on how many WR's caught balls. The O line was significantly better because Fitz demonstrated (at least in the Jets game) a great deal more pocket presence, poise, and patience than Trent ever does.

The bottom line is this...under Trent, the O line looked worse, our WR's have been GROSSLY under utilized, and our offense has been completely handicapped to short throws making it the most predictable and easily defendable offense outside of Oakland. With Fitz, he wasnt always on target, but he moved the chains when it mattered, got the ball down field, moved around the pocket better, and found a way to get the ball to his playmakers.

No one is saying Fitz is the long term answer at QB, or even a good QB, but what Fitz does show is how much Trent Edwards holds this team and offense back with his many limitations in poise, confidence, arm strength, poise, and field vision.

I realize that we were able to see Fitz vs. a Jenkins-less defense...

BUT, after you get past that one legitimate excuse, you can't deny that Fitz made "heavy" pressure seem average. The big difference between Trent and Fitz wasn't awareness. Trent knows when the blitz is coming just as well if not better. The difference is what happens next. Fitz just had faith in the extra second or two, bought himself time and continued to check the field. Trent would call it a done play a little bit too early, causing our plays to disrupt.

The offensive line is forced to look bad when the QB quits on the play early every single pass attempt. It's still too early, since Fitz wasn't planned for, etc., but I'm very excited to see next weeks game now. If Fitz is able to fend off the blitz, then I think its safe to say that the story of our season (assuming we end up missing the playoffs of course) is Trent's inability to play with pressure. If I'm right about this, and Fitz makes our O-line appear better... we need to seriously consider an offseason QB acquisition. If Fitz can make the Offense look average, I'd be willing to bet a 1st round QB/veteran FA pick-up could really do the trick.

The difference as I saw it was that after Fitz completed the third step of his three step drop, he threw the ball to where a receiver was supposed to be, (as best he could, not the most accurate passer I've ever seen). Also I noticed he is very quick on the role out which bought him Favre type time to throw the ball.

BUT, after you get past that one legitimate excuse, you can't deny that Fitz made "heavy" pressure seem average. The big difference between Trent and Fitz wasn't awareness. Trent knows when the blitz is coming just as well if not better. The difference is what happens next. Fitz just had faith in the extra second or two, bought himself time and continued to check the field. Trent would call it a done play a little bit too early, causing our plays to disrupt.

The offensive line is forced to look bad when the QB quits on the play early every single pass attempt. It's still too early, since Fitz wasn't planned for, etc., but I'm very excited to see next weeks game now. If Fitz is able to fend off the blitz, then I think its safe to say that the story of our season (assuming we end up missing the playoffs of course) is Trent's inability to play with pressure. If I'm right about this, and Fitz makes our O-line appear better... we need to seriously consider an offseason QB acquisition. If Fitz can make the Offense look average, I'd be willing to bet a 1st round QB/veteran FA pick-up could really do the trick.

The thing is, we have tried this route numerous times and failed. RJ cost a 1st and a 4th. Losman cost a 1st, 2nd and a 5th. Even trent cost a 3rd.

When you build an OL with late round picks and castoff garbage from the practice squads of bad teams, your football team is going to suck long term. The Buffalo Bills are a textbook example of this.

If you can't already see this there is little else I can offer.

you can also throw in the fact that the wind was horrible and the other QB struggled too.

And yeah, trent completed all 5 passes, but only for 43 yards. I think people are starting to go back to the Kelly Holcomb appreciation days.

Lets see what Fitzpatrick can do with a week of practicing throwing balls to Evans and Owens and in some decent weather. There was a difference between Trent and Ryan yesterday (and the last couple games). Ryan found Evans, and the offence actual got the ball into the endzone

Edwards is not able to buy himself the extra split second that even slow footed honest to goodness NFL QBs can. He freaks out under pressure.

He can not anticipate his receivers coming open and he can not 'throw them open'. He can not hit a moving target coming out of a break.

Because he can't buy himself time, keep his focus downfield, trust his receivers, hit them coming out of the break etc. his only option is the 3 yard completion.

He's really not very good.

The fact that it has again taken an injury to put a more capable player on the field is just another nail in Dick's coffin.

Damn, your using my avatar :bag:

Now I have to find another one... just loved that choking Jauron image though.

The thing is, we have tried this route numerous times and failed. RJ cost a 1st and a 4th. Losman cost a 1st, 2nd and a 5th. Even trent cost a 3rd.

When you build an OL with late round picks and castoff garbage from the practice squads of bad teams, your football team is going to suck long term. The Buffalo Bills are a textbook example of this.

If you can't already see this there is little else I can offer.

I agree... you touched on the fundamentals of football. But, from what I can see, the offensive line was a non-factor, as explained in my post. I'm telling you, it's the quarterback, not the line. The Steelers win despite their horrid line.

I'm just looking forward to knowing that perhaps if we get a real QB someday in the near future we could put points up on the board.

the biggest difference is fitz actually had a touchdown throw