FDA to study negative effects of Lasik eye surgery

SDS

http://health.yahoo.com/news/ap/us_lasik_problems_fda.html

The FDA agreed to look into the problems in 2008 after years of complaints. The agency said last summer it received 140 reports of Lasik-related problems between 1998 and 2006.

Also on Thursday, the FDA announced warning letters sent to 17 Lasik surgery centers for inadequate adverse event reporting procedures. Regulators periodically send letters to facilities that don't follow federal guidelines for reporting patient complaints.

Geez. It is about time.

How many surgeries are we talking about in that time span?

Article sez 6 mill Americans have had it. I would think prior to '97 or so, only a very few would've been done in the country; probably post 2000 or so, very few Americans would've gone elsewhere to have it done.

FWIW, when I had it done in '98, IIRC there was about a 2% chance of "minor issues" a very small % of more serious problems (presumably what the 140 refers to).

I'd be inclined to think I'm part of the 2%, but overall I'm happy that I had it done as it was a worthwhile exchange.

I've had it done as well. I have had an increase in "floaties" since the procedure and my night vision isn't the best as I see "halos" around car/street lights, but that was something that was mentioned to me before hand.

All in all, I'm happy with the procedure because I had really poor vision prior. Contacts suffocated my eyes and glasses got to be inconvenient.

Are you channeling Kermit? :wallbash:

I guess so. Kermit has it easy. For him, eye surgery is a piece of cake: Take a ping pong ball. Cut it in half. Now take the little cardboard thing you pop off a pack of batteries in order to hang it on a hook in the store. Then glue that thing to the half ping pong ball. Blam! Good as new. No controversy.

I've had it done as well. I have had an increase in "floaties" since the procedure and my night vision isn't the best as I see "halos" around car/street lights, but that was something that was mentioned to me before hand.

All in all, I'm happy with the procedure because I had really poor vision prior. Contacts suffocated my eyes and glasses got to be inconvenient.

Is you vision better with Lasik or with the glasses?

Scott I know you have some deep seated opposition to Lasix, but I had mine 10 years ago October 31st. I will say to this day the BEST money I have ever spent in my life. Had glasses/contacts since 7 yrs old, bad astigmatism so that had to hard, then gas permeable contacts..

My vision is awesome, never one bit of problems, highly recommend to all. I know they don't know the effects it will have 30 years down the road..but I guess when they first gave penicillin to people they didn't know the affects 30 years down the rd either

Scott I know you have some deep seated opposition to Lasix, but I had mine 10 years ago October 31st. I will say to this day the BEST money I have ever spent in my life. Had glasses/contacts since 7 yrs old, bad astigmatism so that had to hard, then gas permeable contacts..

My vision is awesome, never one bit of problems, highly recommend to all. I know they don't know the effects it will have 30 years down the road..but I guess when they first gave penicillin to people they didn't know the affects 30 years down the rd either

Good point. In 30 years I'll either be dead or blind anyway so I may just reconsider.

..but I guess when they first gave penicillin to people they didn't know the affects 30 years down the rd either

Idiotic comparison. When they first gave penicillin to people, they did so to save the lives of people in imminent danger of dying.