Guaranteed pain relief for bills fans.

Webster Guy

Its simple but it's working for me this year: Pick a second team that's fun to watch, get the NFL ticket and follow them all year.

My son likes the Vikings, so I gave in this year and got a jersey. We bought the Vikings NFL yearbook for 2009 (Favre wasn't even on the team at that point). I even get to root for Big Pat and Antoine Winfield again.

In todays world, it's easier to follow an out of town team than it was to follow your LOCAL team 15 years ago. Websites, the NFL ticket, streaming radio stations from everywhere in the nation, TIVO. It used to be that you had no choice because the only coverage you could get was from your local radio and newspaper. That has completely changed.

I prefer a big HD screen and having friends/family over than risking the cash and an entire day to drive from Rochester and see a game. If you have kids, they mostly end up watching the good plays on the jumbotron anyways because everyone stands when the Bills have a big play (IF they have a big play) and the shorter people can't see anything anyway.

Admittedly, I'm lucky because if the Vikings were lousy this year I would be stuck with 2 bad teams, but hedging your bet isn't a bad idea. Being an exclusive die hard Bills fan is is like holding on to a bad stock that keeps dropping every year because you've always owned it and you don't know any different.

Take advantage of your options and diversify a little. The game is too much fun to pin all of your hopes on the Bills program.

Take advantage of your options and diversify a little. The game is too much fun to pin all of your hopes on the Bills program.

I took it a step further and watch very little football (still watch the Bills though, God help me). Going with hockey instead.

I agree about the kids at the games. It's not so bad at the kids day preseason game, but for regular season games far too many people are ridiculously drunk and/or beating on the aluminum benches to make noise. Disconcerting for kids to say the least. But, it really is not a family friendly environment nor is it intended to be. It's a place for adults to cut loose if they want to, drink to excess (and hopefully not drive), yell, scream, beat on benches and generally release their inner a-hole :thumbsup:

That's why there's the TOPS FAMILY zone in the 200's :thumbsup:

It's not enforced from what I hear. They beer vendors don't go there, but people apparently do bring beers in with them. Not to mention tailgating all day before the game. At least that's what I was told by someone who tried that last season.

Not a bad idea I suppose but it really is hard to have a second favorite team. Not the same. I prefer to go the gambling/pool route to supplement my lack of entertainment by the Bills. Fantasy leagues do wonders to maintain interest in the sport. If you are in a good one with a sizable prize then its even better. But it's still fun just for the competitiveness of it. Hockey also good and even the Sabres, financially challenged as they are, still manage to put a pretty decent team out there. Personally I think they will do well this season.

For a few years I've liked the Bengals...Thank heavens their season has been awesome so far. I've caught every game on the Sunday ticket, and seriously, I've been watching less and less bills, just DVRing them.

In the NFC, ever since the Bills lost to the G-men in 2007 I just love them. I can't explain it. I just like that team; the way its built, who plays there, how there coached, the way they play.

...and when they beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl... :thumbsup:

For a few years I've liked the Bengals...Thank heavens their season has been awesome so far. I've caught every game on the Sunday ticket, and seriously, I've been watching less and less bills, just DVRing them.

There were a couple of Bengals fans at our local BBB bar on sunday....they offered a sign-up sheet for any Bills fans who wanted to become Bengals fans for the season. At least every Bengal game is exciting (and they win)...

Personally, I can't get into another team. In a given game I can pick someone I want to win, but I can't buy a jersey and be a fan of a second team. Plus, its Sabres season!

For now, I've just stopped caring about the Bills. I'm sick of feeling like **** for two days following a loss when the team, from the owner to the coach to the players, don't seem to give a damn. I can't jump ship though and suddenly become a fan of another team. I've been in Charlotte since the inception of the Panthers. It was exciting to witness their run to Superbowl 38. Cars driving around with Panther flags, everyone talking football, people who usually didn't watch football getting into it. But it's just not the same.

For better or worse, the Bills are in my blood, ingrained from my earliest memories. I've done a lot of traveling and relocating in my lifetime and steadfastly defended my hometown team every step of the way. The fact that a Dick Jauron coached football team has finally made me stop caring is quite an achievement.

Its simple but it's working for me this year: Pick a second team that's fun to watch, get the NFL ticket and follow them all year.

My son likes the Vikings, so I gave in this year and got a jersey. We bought the Vikings NFL yearbook for 2009 (Favre wasn't even on the team at that point). I even get to root for Big Pat and Antoine Winfield again.

In todays world, it's easier to follow an out of town team than it was to follow your LOCAL team 15 years ago. Websites, the NFL ticket, streaming radio stations from everywhere in the nation, TIVO. It used to be that you had no choice because the only coverage you could get was from your local radio and newspaper. That has completely changed.

I prefer a big HD screen and having friends/family over than risking the cash and an entire day to drive from Rochester and see a game. If you have kids, they mostly end up watching the good plays on the jumbotron anyways because everyone stands when the Bills have a big play (IF they have a big play) and the shorter people can't see anything anyway.

Admittedly, I'm lucky because if the Vikings were lousy this year I would be stuck with 2 bad teams, but hedging your bet isn't a bad idea. Being an exclusive die hard Bills fan is is like holding on to a bad stock that keeps dropping every year because you've always owned it and you don't know any different.

You are dead on! The only way to alleviate the pain and salvage the rest of the NFL season is to go w/ another team! We should not hate the NFL merely because our team is so inept, pathetic and embarassing!

For now, I've just stopped caring about the Bills. I'm sick of feeling like **** for two days following a loss when the team, from the owner to the coach to the players, don't seem to give a damn. I can't jump ship though and suddenly become a fan of another team. I've been in Charlotte since the inception of the Panthers. It was exciting to witness their run to Superbowl 38. Cars driving around with Panther flags, everyone talking football, people who usually didn't watch football getting into it. But it's just not the same.

For better or worse, the Bills are in my blood, ingrained from my earliest memories. I've done a lot of traveling and relocating in my lifetime and steadfastly defended my hometown team every step of the way. The fact that a Dick Jauron coached football team has finally made me stop caring is quite an achievement.

Same here ... I don't care anymore ... watching the Bills is a chore ... it's more fun to watch competent teams play, even if there isn't one team I'm rooting for.

I have done that in the past, but this season has sparked so much hatred in me for how the team has peformed AND hasn't fired anyone AND lets good offensive linemen go so they can afford the TO freakshow (who, btw, has impressed me thus far for his ability to keep his mouth shut) that I went completely 360 on the team. I live in Florida and root for...THE DOLPHINS. Was a LOT of fun a couple Sundays ago when I attended the Bills/Fins game.

Inside, I feel like a little bit of a traitor, but hey...if the ownership doesn't care about the fanbase, why should I care about the team?

Once Ralph croaks, they're probably gone, anyway.

I admire your loyalty. Honestly. I wish I could be that loyal. If they were just BAD, I could be. It's being this bad and seemingly getting worse that bothers me, and that the ownership just doesn't seem to CARE.

I reserve that sort of loyalty for my wife. The whole "thick and thin" thing.

A couple of years ago, I just sort of woke up and said, "why be this loyal to an NFL team when there are 31 other teams I can watch?".

And this is just a question for you...not picking on you at all, but just a curious thing for me. If the seemingly inevitable happens and this team moves on to pastures in LA, Toronto, or wherever, will you still continue that loyalty, or will you be angry for it, or what WILL you feel like?

I agree with your tonic. Since I am a die hard AFC guy, I chose the affable NY Jets....

I took it a step further and watch very little football (still watch the Bills though, God help me). Going with hockey instead.

I've bailed entirely on the Bills. I just can't get invested in another team. Perhaps the Bills have jaded me?

I had season tickets last year, but (wisely/luckily) opted not to go to both the 49ers and Patriots games. Now only if I could have skipped the Miami and Cleveland games...

I didn't renew my season tickets this season because I predicted the TO impact was not going to change the sorry state of football in Buffalo. Unfortunately, I was dead on.

I was so confident in the sorry state of the Bills, despite offseason changes, that I actually put money on the Pats to cover the spread in game one. That taught me a lesson never to bet on the Bills (for OR against). After allowing a glimmer of hope to root in my mind following that game, they are showing me exactly what I expected to see. Incompetence from top down. After their piss poor performance against NO, I vowed never to let the Bills get me down or waste my time. For the remainder of the season, I'll make no special effort to watch the Bills, and feel no sense of letdown when they underperform as per the usual.

So, instead of watching the Miami game, I toured Montreal--ignoring the sports bar right to my hotel that probably had the game on.

Instead of watching the Browns game, I did yard work.

I'm sure some "true" fans here might flame me for this, but it's amazing what cutting the Bills out of your life can do to your morale!

On a pro-Buffalo sports note, Let's go SABRES!

The only problem with this is that I don't care one way or the other when another team wins or loses and I never will. True fandom for me cannot be contrived or manufactured. I care when the Bills win or lose.....or at least I used to care a lot more. What I'm doing now is just tuning into the red zone channel and enjoying all the other games that way.

I admire your loyalty. Honestly. I wish I could be that loyal. If they were just BAD, I could be. It's being this bad and seemingly getting worse that bothers me, and that the ownership just doesn't seem to CARE.

I reserve that sort of loyalty for my wife. The whole "thick and thin" thing.

A couple of years ago, I just sort of woke up and said, "why be this loyal to an NFL team when there are 31 other teams I can watch?".

And this is just a question for you...not picking on you at all, but just a curious thing for me. If the seemingly inevitable happens and this team moves on to pastures in LA, Toronto, or wherever, will you still continue that loyalty, or will you be angry for it, or what WILL you feel like?

They're no longer the Bills if they move. Following the Bills is my last connection to Buffalo. Once they move, that will be it. The fact that there are no plans for a new stadium or lease renewal with Erie county is a pretty good sign that they are on their way out.