The Bills have a decent chance of getting a proven coach

Doc

There are 6, maybe 7, proven and/or SB-winning coaches out there currently: Cowher, Shanahan, Holmgren, Dungy, Billick, and Schottenheimer, and if he's fired, Jeff Fischer.

I'd say that at-most, 8 teams will be looking for a HC at the end of the season: Bills, Redskins, Jags, Panthers, Raiders, Titans, Cowboys, and Texans, although the last 4 are iffy. The Panthers will be hiring Cowher. The Jags and Raiders are in bad situations (i.e. worse than Buffalo's) given their fan support and/or owners. That leaves 5 teams looking at the above 6 or 7 coaches (or in Fischer's case, 4 teams looking at him). And reportedly Shanahan has turned-down Snyder twice, and he'd probably do the same to Jones (meddling owners). I hope the Texans do well because they look like the most attractive team.

And while most would say Ralph wouldn't pay a coach the money he'll want, he stands to lose a LOT of money in ticket sales if he doesn't hire someone good. There are no more TO's out there, or big-draw college stars (Tebow? Please!).

i agree...it is one of the best years to need a head coach.......even if washington and dallas took the best two coaches on your list the bills would still get a good quality head coach...a good coach will come here if there are no other jobs.....it is on record that ralf wanted sherman and levy wanted jauron...i dont think that was a money thing at all..........................go bills in"2010

i agree...it is one of the best years to need a head coach.......even if washington and dallas took the best two coaches on your list the bills would still get a good quality head coach...a good coach will come here if there are no other jobs.....it is on record that ralf wanted sherman and levy wanted jauron...i dont think that was a money thing at all..........................go bills in"2010

That's what I heard as well. Although ultimately, even if they went with Sherman, it probably would have been little different, but with Ralph out a lot more money.

And these guys get paid well during their year off, but they're itching to get back in, and after that year, the money stops. And the nature of the biz is that bad teams have coaching vacancies.

All the coaches available have had losing seasons as well. The best coach in the league will still struggle with the talent issues we have in Buffalo right now, but what we need is a personality. Someone with character and enthusiasm and vision. A likeable head coach can go a long way with the fans.

Its easy to point the finger at DJ, but what bothers me more than failing at the x's and o's is his utter lack of enthusiasm and ability to motivate our team. The NFL is a young mans game, and we need a coach that relates better.

I would assign Bobby April as interim head coach for the remainder of the year and see how he does. At least use the rest of the season for something positive and evaluate a guy that may have what it takes to be a good head coach. He seems intelligent and spirited and he's proven that he can communicate and coach. He knows the team already.

I see very little downside to that approach, unless there is a head coach candidate who wants to take the wheel at this point in the season.

Man, I certainly wouldn't.

And it doesn't mean that one of those WINNERS wants to destroy his legacy by coaching this franchise and getting canned in 3 years because he can't win with the meager roster that he has.

This roster isn't as bad as you make it out to be. That's the worst part about it.

I'm predicting Herm Edwards. He's at the right price, has a successful year of coaching in his past, has recently failed with his second team...plus he knows the AFC East.

Well at least Herm has the right attitude........................"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME" unlike Dick "it's HARD to win in the NFL" Jauron.

Given the demonstrated track record of Mr. Ralph we are likely looking at a replacement for the utterly failed Jauron reign of error who is going to be at the level of:

Jauron- selected for Mr. Ralph by Marv who came here to rescue Ralph from him bollicksing of the TD situation. Marv pretty clearly had a shelf life of about two years and his replacement with psuedo GM Brandon shows who ultimately is responsible for the 0 for a decade non-playoff run (hint Jauron clearly bears the blame for the last 3 but you gotta look higher up if you want to assign real blame correctly for the decade of failure).

Mularkey- selected for Mr. Ralph by TD in the last year of his reign of error.

GW- selected for Mr. Ralph by TD in the first sign TD was not over getting run out of town by an HC he hired in Pitts.

Wade- ended having to go to an appeals panel for his last year of salary after Mr. Ralph canned him for stupidly giving up before the team was mathematically eliminated (part of Mr. Ralph teaming up with Butler on toxic relationship which left the Bills twisting in the wind when Butler left town like he was the Baltimore Colts.

Hiring a legit HC almost certainly needs to start with us hiring a real GM who has the cajones to take on Mr. Ralph like Polian did last time we built a winner.

I don't understand this obsession with Tebow, option QB's that run better than they throw consistently fail in the NFL. Just ask the Titans and their QB of the future. Accurate pocket passers with a quick release are far more proven, sure some footwork helps but you want most of the work done through the air. You have people whose job is to run the damn ball already. In general the crop of Qb's in this upcoming draft are underwhelming and we obviously need a line first anyway. This is going to take years to fix. This is a clear house and start totally over situation, and any malcontents and maligners need to take a hike as well.

Mike Nolan

He was horrible in San Francisco. Please no.

You forgot about Jam Fassel who I think would ba an excllent choice.

Dan Reeves would be my first choice if he wants it though. Not sure if he does, but I'd at least pick up the phone. I'd also call Iron Mike.

I also agree that the roster is not that bad and that's what is so frustrating about it. With a real QB and real coach and some attention to the OLine in the off season, we could be in contention next year.

As I think about it, I think the key to Mr. Ralph attracting one of the HCs who had proven they can win the SB is likely to be the extent that they hit it off with him personally. This then would have to lead to this person getting the whole set of car keys the same as Mr. Ralph has shown he is actually willing to do since he turned over seemingly total control to TD.

Mr. Ralph turned to TD when it turned out whomever's fault it was he had totally misread and mismanaged his relationship with Butler.

Unfortunately, TD seemed to keep himself in Mr. Ralph's good graces by actually doing a pretty good job with the business side of the Bills (not a terribly hard thing to improve actually since a lot of the work involved simply moving Bills procedures and relationships into the late 20th century- it was not terribly long ago that when one went to the will call window tickets had been hand alphabetized in a shoebox).

The problem was that though TD was a savvy business manager and a smart and gutsy negotiator (he bent Arthur Blank and the Falcs over a table on the Peerless deal and his gutsiness when the draft saw every team ahead of the Bills who needed on take an RB in the 1st but he still held his ground and traded Travis for a 1st when TD knew he was a bomb waiting to contractually explode) he was unable to hire a good enough HC out of fear the guy he hired might run him out of town like Cowher did.

If Ralph can suck it up again and hire a real GM (who may want to be HC as well) and get out of the way beyond being a check and balance on any key weakness a new GM/HC hire has we may do well.

If Mr. Ralph sticks to his bad habits shown since he fired Polian and uses his owner's perogative to pinch pennies here and there and insert himself into some of decisions that turned out badly (the handshake deal he made with Jimbo to compensate him in his next FA contract was a handshake deal only he could make and was a total misread of how much Jimbo had left. It was this mistake that set the Bills on a course of miscues as they have repeatedly tried and failed to replace Jimbo).

Mr. Ralph has demonstrated time and again that he is simply an idiot to work for with his tilting at windmills after he justifiably fired Wade, mishandled the TD situation, forced out MM rather than canning and paying him and pinched pennys when he was forced to turn to Marv in hiring Jauron.

I hope that Mr. Ralph has "matured" a bit and can turn over the keys to a good GM/HC or likely any good candidate with his pick of jobs will not choose to go lose with Mr. Ralph.

Not gonna happen with Ralph Wilson as owner. He is too scared to give up power to a real Coach and or GM again. Too cheap to pay for one of the top people as well.

Agree that it's not gonna happen with Ralph. But is it being scared or being a habitual meddler? In other words, is it his ego?