• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Really?"

Regards,

The 11 NFL cities facing blackouts this year

11 NFL teams facing Black Outs

Even as an addition to this, Colin Cowherd (who I can't stand, but some reason I was listening) was talking about the hits on the actual ESPN website each day. It was last year during the NFL and MLB season. He said something ridiculous like NFL stories and pages get hit something like 5 million times a day. College football was second at like 1 million, followed by MLB with like 800,000. I wish I could remember the exact numbers, but I can't. It was something that drastic. I also remember Steve Czaban or whatever that guys name is talking about how hard it is to ever steer his talk shows away from the NFL any time of the year. He said it's almost like pulling teeth trying to get callers to talk about anything else but the NFL or to some lesser degree, college football.

Football is about the only sport that has fringe viewers at this point.

Half Empty stadiums by year 5...

you can take that to the bank...

There's no way in hell, LA has only 35,000 people in the stands for an NFL game. No way. And even if, for some reason, that would happen, they would still be generating more revenue, most likely, than 20 other teams in the league because of the prices they are going to be able to charge.

As a small market team, you have to contually be concerned with the fiscal bottom line. stands to reason that R.W. wants the venture to take care of itself and not dump extra money into it. Ralph is a prudent businessman (overly), but he has been generous in the past loaning money to a competitor, and had the balls to get into this thing back when he was foolish.

The fiscal bottom line is what will move the Bills in the long run. In this day and age, any new owner will be looking to profit, and profit well to compete with the other markets. the only way is to jack up the prices in line or over the league averages (which i'm sure won't go down well, not to mention bring down attendence), use bandaid solutions like the Toronto experiment or move the team.

Then again, it makes no sense in any category for ralph let the bills just linger before a sale, you would have prepare the team for sale to maximise profit. not doing so is like saying i'm not going to service or clean my car because i'm going to sell it in a few years anyway. In the end there is no real loyalty in business, especially when you talking hundreads of millions. For an investment like that you would want profit, and lots of it.

from a purely bussiness standpoint it makes no sense to any new owner to stay in Buffalo when markets like LA and Toronto are waiting for a team to become avaliable.

This is a whole different era than when LA had a team before. The NFL is more popular than ever, and games in LA will sellout easily. Everyone here acts like LA is the only team that struggled at the gate back then. Arizona's attendance was awful, Indianapolis was never on TV because of blackouts, and neither was Atlanta.

This era of the NFL is more popular than ever, and LA will have no problem supporting a NFL team. None.

I don't know about that. A previous poster replied to my question about TV ratings now vs. when they had teams. Back then they NFL routinely placed 3rd in the local ratings during the NFL time slot on Sundays. I asked if that's improved and he said he read a recent article that said LA ranks 3rd in TV ratings of cities that don't have teams. For the number two TV market in the land by a LONG shot, that is not good. It simply doesn't translate to being able to sell premium-priced ads when other TV shows do better. That's why the networks are reluctant about LA.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know about that. A previous poster replied to my question about TV ratings now vs. when they had teams. Back then they NFL routinely placed 3rd in the local ratings during the NFL time slot on Sundays. I asked if that's improved and he said he read a recent article that said LA ranks 3rd in TV ratings of cities that don't have teams. For the number two TV market in the land by a LONG shot, that is not good. It simply doesn't translate to being able to sell premium-priced ads when other TV shows do better. That's why the networks are reluctant about LA.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, I can't really argue anymore, because everyone is trying to act like it's still 1988 and that era of football. NFL football somewhere near LA will be a success because it's now "in" to be there, and people in LA love to be "in". That will be one of the strongest franchises going. Everyone knows it, they just don't want to admit it. Plus, anything not named the LA Coliseum will be just fine for those folks out there.

Unfortunately, the NFL is becoming a money grubbing joke and an NFL team will thrive in a city like LA that isn't a good football town. It's how the NFL model is now set up. Maybe when the salary cap is gone, a league like the UFL will gain ground, and the 22 or so small markets in the NFL can move there and challenge a depleted NFL. Not gonna happen, but it would be cool, if another league could give the NFL a run.

Well, I can't really argue anymore, because everyone is trying to act like it's still 1988 and that era of football. NFL football somewhere near LA will be a success because it's now "in" to be there, and people in LA love to be "in". That will be one of the strongest franchises going. Everyone knows it, they just don't want to admit it. Plus, anything not named the LA Coliseum will be just fine for those folks out there.

Unfortunately, the NFL is becoming a money grubbing joke and an NFL team will thrive in a city like LA that isn't a good football town. It's how the NFL model is now set up. Maybe when the salary cap is gone, a league like the UFL will gain ground, and the 22 or so small markets in the NFL can move there and challenge a depleted NFL. Not gonna happen, but it would be cool, if another league could give the NFL a run.

Don't mean to be argumentative. I'm just interested in what's truly different since 1988 relative to the TV ratings for the NFL in the land's 2nd largest market. I know the stadiums were a big issue and that can be rectified but will people watch?

GO BILLS!!!

I havent read any other posts, but this has some truth to it. I read an article a couple days back on either bloomberg.com or finance.yahoo.com about the guy who is secured the rights to build a stadium in LA and has the money to do it, worth about 1.5 billion. He was in negotiations with 5 or 6 teams to buy the team and move them one of which was the Bills, a couple others were Jacksonville and St. Louis. In the event he can't buy a team his stadium would hold 8 neutral games that will be required assuming the team goes to a 17 or 18 game season, essentially still bringing the NFL to LA.

I was too lazy to post the link when I read it.

LA is the worst football market in the country, bar none(including Jacksonville). For a city to be so large and to have so much trouble selling out games is a complete embarrassment. Throwing money at a team isn't gonna make a city who could give a crap about football suddenly care. If the team moves there, they will have some interest for a few years, the crowds will go away and they will be playing in front of a half empty stadium by year 5, regardless of good the team is...

The owners will then realize what all the other owners who had franchises in LA did---its NOT a good football market, period...

Its like the NHL trying to get the city of Phoenix interested in hockey...it just isn't happening...

Downtown LA scumville was not a good market. nobody wanted to go to the games because you were afraid of getting mugged in the parking lot. LA colliseum is in a very run down part of town. BIG BIG BIG difference in the city of industry. Its minutes from LA, Orange county, and even close enough to riverside and san bernardino county, something that the colliseum was not. plus its not going to be some old wore out stadium.

also on a side note i was just looking at the website for the new LA stadium and in all of the artist interpretations, all the fans are wearing blue and red, coincidence???? maybe.... maybe not?

I also believe this team will be gone in 5 yrs or less...There's no way a new owner, who will finance a majority of the purchase will be able to profit in this market with the new inflated price that Ralph Wilson will get.

I havent read any other posts, but this has some truth to it. I read an article a couple days back on either bloomberg.com or finance.yahoo.com about the guy who is secured the rights to build a stadium in LA and has the money to do it, worth about 1.5 billion. He was in negotiations with 5 or 6 teams to buy the team and move them one of which was the Bills, a couple others were Jacksonville and St. Louis. In the event he can't buy a team his stadium would hold 8 neutral games that will be required assuming the team goes to a 17 or 18 game season, essentially still bringing the NFL to LA.

I was too lazy to post the link when I read it.

I must have read a different article, because the one I read indicated that 5-6 franchises were targeted for relocation by this group, not that negotiations had begun

I also believe this team will be gone in 5 yrs or less...There's no way a new owner, who will finance a majority of the purchase will be able to profit in this market with the new inflated price that Ralph Wilson will get.

I see the team splitting home games between Buffalo and Toronto. Assuming the team isn't moved. Jax is a horrible market and the Jags should be the first team to consider moving.

how many of us, reading this have left upstate ny (western, central, or anywhere that's bills country) because there are no jobs, no money to be made and the weather sucks. according to the 1990 census, 50%. If the bills move it will be to Toronto, maybe LA. I love the Bills more than anything but they are going to leave Buffalo, just like most of you posters I mean I left Utica because if I didn't I would probably of killed myself, Buffalo is not much better. There is no money to keep a team in Buffalo. Tommy G left because the taxes are so !@#$ed there a billionaire can't afford to live there. The problems start in Albany and go west on the Thruway. All we can hope is that Dick gets fired soon, and maybe a coach with some balls makes are team a contender soon.

All these stories about the Bills moving are bullsh#t until these target markets come up with a viable stadium financing plan.

Some NFL owners have built their own stadiums, and some contribute to the building costs, but the majority rely heavily local and state money.

It looks like financing has not been finalized in California, and it's hard to imagine that the state, billions of dollars in debt and auctioning off old equipment, has the resources to invest in new stadiums in San Francisco, Oakland, San Diego, and Los Angeles.

In all, it's going to take around 1.5 to 2 billion dollars to move the Bills to a new market, whether it's Toronto or Buffalo.

So while potential owners might talk a good game, it's hard to fathom that they'll be able to finance this deal, and near impossible to convince the local and state governments to back their investment.

Downtown LA scumville was not a good market. nobody wanted to go to the games because you were afraid of getting mugged in the parking lot. LA colliseum is in a very run down part of town. BIG BIG BIG difference in the city of industry. Its minutes from LA, Orange county, and even close enough to riverside and san bernardino county, something that the colliseum was not. plus its not going to be some old wore out stadium.

also on a side note i was just looking at the website for the new LA stadium and in all of the artist interpretations, all the fans are wearing blue and red, coincidence???? maybe.... maybe not?

So true, most people don't realize how bad the neighborhood is. It's right next to South Central LA. Every bit as nasty as the reputation says that it is.

Troll, please go away. Cleary, you do NOT live there, as City of Industry is about 50 miles from LA - not 'minutes'. Takes me (and most others) about an hour and a half during NON-rush-hour, so if you can make that in "minutes", either you're way too young too know what driving is, or you live aboard the Starship Enterprise. Otherwise, as I'm sure is the case, you're just full of sh_t.

BTW - I've been to two Bills games there, proudly sporting Blue & Red; rough part of the LA area - but I never feared for getting mugged or anything else, and actually appreciated all the burnt-down houses, as they made for very cheap parking.

I guess that, if you've never lived in LA, you really don't know what it's like there.

(0) comments

they're hyped up for football there. :D

As has been posted ad nauseum, 'ski, LA already 'sh-t the bed' on two NFL franchises. Plus, they still have two pro teams - UCLA & USC, so they really couldn't care less about NFL football out there.

But there are some really, really good Chinese restaurants in Industry, CA - so they got that goin' for them, which is nice. B-)