Could history repeat itself?

What kind of tone does Dead Dick set? Sheesh, this is getting so old. I want a fiery son-of-a-B word as our coach!

We had that: Gregggggg Williams.

I don't care about the personality as much as I do this actions. If the next coach is a football genius, I don't care what he talks like. I care that he doesn't punt the ball down two scores with 7:00 left.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had a mic'd up segment on Mike Singletary on the SCORE sports network that I just watched. My word does he hold his players ACCOUNTABLE. On one play, RB Coffee drops a ball that would have been a first down. Singletary calls him over and (DOESN'T YELL AT HIM) and says: "29! 29, why did you drop that ball?" Coffee mumbles something about the sun. "Now, now, you caught that ball 100 times in practice, why was it different this time? No excuses, catch that ball next time and make the play. You know you can do it!"

Another play sees his WR Morgan drop an easy catch from a long bomb. He calls him over: "What was that?" "I dropped it, thing hung like a punt and..." "I don't want to hear it, punt or not, you catch that ball. Great players make that catch. You wanna be a great player or not? Concentrate out there and help our boys win, that's why you're here."

Wow. SO MUCH DIFFERENT THAN LIMP DICK AND HIS GOLF CLAP.

Yup. You could watch the transformation taking place last year, starting right around the time they beat the Bills. The team really responded to the challenge. They play with passion. They play like it's fun. They play like they believe they can beat anybody. As a fan, I am extremely jealous.

They have decent linebackers. Spikes lost steps with injury and age, but he didn't lose any smarts or moxie.

The only player that would do that is TO and he can't because the media would be all over him. So its up to someone else on the Bills and you are correct, there isn't one.

Right. I look at TO on Sundays sitting on the bench after another three and out. He looks exactly like a powderkeg with a lit fuse. I wish he would blow. But, as you say, he can't. Just another perspective on the twilight zone we inhabit as Bills fans.

That video made me depressed. We have a cardboard cut out for a coach and they get to have someone that actually coaches during the game.

I remember Andy Reid during a playoff game last year when his kicker, I guess Akers, missed an easy field goal. As he made his way to the sidelines Akers, head down & tail between his legs, went for the end of the bench farthest from where Reid was standing. Not so fast. Reid walked down the sidelines towards him saying things that were I suspect very uncomplimentary. Could'nt hear the words but I got a good look at his face. I have never seen a face so full of hate. It was a thing of beauty. Why? Because thats football, and thats just the way its supposed to be. Call it a game if you like, but it is also a hypercompetitive field of human endeavour where the dream is nothing less than greatness.

Then I thought of Dick, standing on the sidelines looking like he does'nt know where he is, or even that he should be somewhere.

We had that: Gregggggg Williams.

I don't care about the personality as much as I do this actions. If the next coach is a football genius, I don't care what he talks like. I care that he doesn't punt the ball down two scores with 7:00 left.

You gotta understand its more than just being a rah rah hardass type of guy. That approach won't get you too far, players can see through the fluff. Singletary is a different animal though, he is an honest man that holds his players accountable and is determined to bring out the very best in every guy on that field. He is a coach players can believe in and with his background there is not one single player who doesn't respect him. He is pretty much the opposite of Dick Jauron in every aspect of the game.

The 49ers were a moribund franchise much like the Bills are now. 1st year GM Scot McLoughan fired Mike Nolan after 3 losing seasons and a 2-6 record last year and replaced him on an interim basis with Singletary, then the Defensive Coordinator. Singletary had the now-famous run in with a lazy Vernon Davis, sending him to the showers rather than putting him on the field without full effort. He dropped trou to get the attention of his team at halftime of his second game. He replaced low-producing veterans with hungry young players. And now the 49ers are 3-1 with a 1 1/2 game lead (including a head-to-head road win) over the defending conference champion Cardinals.

That's what I want for my Bills. Who's that next guy?

Read this, from his page on 49ers.com:

Gawd, I want that...

The Niners are my new #2 team.

gawd?.....what is gawd?...are you serious?.....never mind!!!

The 49ers were a moribund franchise much like the Bills are now. 1st year GM Scot McLoughan fired Mike Nolan after 3 losing seasons and a 2-6 record last year and replaced him on an interim basis with Singletary, then the Defensive Coordinator. Singletary had the now-famous run in with a lazy Vernon Davis, sending him to the showers rather than putting him on the field without full effort. He dropped trou to get the attention of his team at halftime of his second game. He replaced low-producing veterans with hungry young players. And now the 49ers are 3-1 with a 1 1/2 game lead (including a head-to-head road win) over the defending conference champion Cardinals.

Gawd, I want that...

The bills have no mike singletary,, they are headed straight back to 1984-5. 3-13, 4-12. they cannot do any better..

Singletary, in that one video, exemplifies what it means to lead. He makes corrections, teaches, and builds people up. That's and he recognizes good play. After Morgan made that catch he's the first guy to remind him he can do that.

DJ never interacts with his players, and never tells people what they've done wrong in-game. At least not on the field.

Even with a QB who throws up ducks like Shaun Hill, that team is playing well. And now Vernon Davis is a team captain.

Singletary is the only NFL star I've seen in a long time transition from great player to up and coming HC.

Man, what I'd give to have Singletary on the Bills sidelines.

Yup. You could watch the transformation taking place last year, starting right around the time they beat the Bills. The team really responded to the challenge. They play with passion. They play like it's fun. They play like they believe they can beat anybody. As a fan, I am extremely jealous.

Everything I have read about the way Singletary approaches the game is old school and still right on time. What a breath of fresh air that I wish would blow through WNY. I am no Niners fan but can cheer for Coach Singletary.

Gawd, I want that...

I praised Singletary for his attitude and style this past summer. http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/lofiversio...php/t89924.html

Take a minute to scroll down and read how the "know-it-alls" argued with me over this.