Do you blame Edwards for being shell-shocked?

LGB

If that is all he has to do, then we could have kept Kelly Holcomb. He was good at getting the ball out quick.

Why not plug Fitzpatrick in there and see if he can do any better? Not sure if he can do too much worse....

See therein lies the enigma.

Trent could do much better. He also could do much MUCH worse.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touche!!! He isn't even ATTEMPTING to move the ball down the field very much- that's the worst part.

Agreed. He's too scared.

But here's the worst part--for all his 3-yard throws, he still throws a lot of picks. At least if you throw the ball 10-15 yards down the middle of the field, it won't be a pick 6.

See therein lies the enigma.

Trent could do much better. He also could do much MUCH worse.

Suppose he could do worse, but how many picks worse before Fitzpatrick gets a chance to keep us somewhat afloat in the standings?

Trentative has has plenty of time to throw. The problem is he has no nuts to throw to anyone who's not 100% wide-open (see checkdown threads). When he first started playing, he was hitting receivers in the back of the head before they turned around, now... he's playing like a California raisin in an apple orchard.

NO MORE CA QB'S. NO MORE QB'S WITHOUT ATTITUDE.

Edwards has plenty of targets but not enough time. Most of that is his own fault for not being faster on quick throws, but it is not like AVP can't see what is going on.

If you watch his play the first four games of last season, he stands in the pocket and tries (and usually succeeds) to make the throw in the face of pressure, even in the face of an imminent hit. That changed when he got nailed in the Arizona game - ever since, he's just unwilling to take a hit.

So is he shell-shocked? Hell, yes. Should he be? It wouldn't be unreasonable behind this line...but it also likely has nothing to do with this line, but more likely has everything to do with him being mentally incapable of dealing with the hit in Arizona.

It also hardly matters. His confidence on the field is clearly shot. The only reason I disagree with benching him is because I can't see anyone else making a damn bit of difference under center on this pitiful team.

If you watch his play the first four games of last season, he stands in the pocket and tries (and usually succeeds) to make the throw in the face of pressure, even in the face of an imminent hit. That changed when he got nailed in the Arizona game - ever since, he's just unwilling to take a hit.

So is he shell-shocked? Hell, yes. Should he be? It wouldn't be unreasonable behind this line...but it also likely has nothing to do with this line, but more likely has everything to do with him being mentally incapable of dealing with the hit in Arizona.

It also hardly matters. His confidence on the field is clearly shot. The only reason I disagree with benching him is because I can't see anyone else making a damn bit of difference under center on this pitiful team.

Sorry DC I posted my response before I read the entire thread so I pretty much said the same thing you did.

If he doesn't do well tomorrow I think giving Fitz a shot may not be a bad idea. Surely can't hurt.

Edwards is probably only or two one more Pat LaFontaine hits away from concussion problems given the number of hits he has taken behind the least experienced NFL offensive line. That is, if he hasn’t already been having issues. Trent Edwards has been behind a sub-par line all through college and with the Bills. If you were QB of the Bills, would you want to have this collection of rookies and bench-sitters protecting you from 270 pound bull-rushing defensive ends and all-out blitzing safeties? Is it any wonder the guy is shell-shocked to the point where the first instinct is to bail-out? The OL is everything on offense and besides Edwards having issues, it will be tough to run the ball with a rookie OL. Would anyone be really surprised with a one-win season with the mess we have right now?

Funny Aaron Rodgers looked pretty good as he was running for his life on Monday night getting sacked 8 times against Green Bay...

Ben Roehtlisberger looked pretty good last year winning the super bowl while being sacked more than any other QB in the NFL...

stop making excuses for Edwards...either the guy is gonna start playing like an NFL QB and throwing the ball more than 5 yards downfield or he is gonna face defenses that just let receivers run by them because they don't have to worry about Edwards throwing the ball...

Thurman has said he looks like he is going thru his progressions too fast, so when he gets back and plants his foot, he is already on his 3rd or 4th receiver...he said he just needs to give his 1 and 2 targets more time to get open...

Funny Aaron Rodgers looked pretty good as he was running for his life on Monday night getting sacked 8 times against Green Bay...

Ben Roehtlisberger looked pretty good last year winning the super bowl while being sacked more than any other QB in the NFL...

stop making excuses for Edwards...either the guy is gonna start playing like an NFL QB and throwing the ball more than 5 yards downfield or he is gonna face defenses that just let receivers run by them because they don't have to worry about Edwards throwing the ball...

Thurman has said he looks like he is going thru his progressions too fast, so when he gets back and plants his foot, he is already on his 3rd or 4th receiver...he said he just needs to give his 1 and 2 targets more time to get open...

Going through his reads too fast sounds like he might be in a hurry and I agree that it could be any of number of things like bad coaching, not enough time or being pounded in the ground and being shell-shocked.

I am not sure TE is in the same class as Big Ben or Aaron Rodgers as far as vision, decision making and arm strength. Have we seen some glimmer of those QB traits from TE? yes, and maybe that is why maybe the Bills would like to see him try and work it out before Fitzpatrick is put in.

OVER-RATED...Sitting behind Brett Favre may have helped him last year for a couple of games. Aaron Rogers IS a good quarterback...at best, the jury is still out on Edwards because, not only does he have a bad line, he has bad coaching.

You forgot he is a bad QB also.

The lack of a downfield challenge opens the door for heavier rushes. A very good way to negate the rush is to start hitting intermediate routes. But that won't happen because he won't get rid of the ball.

A big B-I-N-G-O, we have a winner. Glad to see someone else can see what's really wrong. The QB is the problem.

Touche!!! He isn't even ATTEMPTING to move the ball down the field very much- that's the worst part.

He's busy working on his double pump.

Once he gets the fake move down he can start learning how to toss the ball downfield.

It takes time to be a good quarterback in this league.

It's not easy to be a winner.

There are QBs in this league right NOW who have O-Lines just as bad as Trent's. But they don't turn into deer in headlights because of it. Much like his head coach. God, if only we'd know what old Footsteps woulda been like had he had a real man coaching him the last three seasons. I'm guessing the exact same scared little baby, but at least he'd be the backup to a smarter, ballsier veteran by now.

Maybe he should start making his reads in reverse B-)

Guest dog14787
You forgot he is a bad QB also.

TE is a bad QB right now because the Buffalo Bills FO and HC made him into a bad QB. B-)

I watched JP Losman look better in the pocket playing under Fossil in one game than he ever did playing for Buffalo.

Was it a different league, of course it was, but Losman's improvement was still obvious because of Fossils ability to identify JP's bad tendencies and correct them.

It would not surprise me a bit to see JP Losman back in the NFL next year as a potential starter.

TE is a bad QB right now because the Buffalo Bills FO and HC made him into a bad QB. B-)

I watched JP Losman look better in the pocket playing under Fossil in one game than he ever did playing for Buffalo.

Was it a different league, of course it was, but Losman's improvement was still obvious because of Fossils ability to identify JP's bad tendencies and correct them.

It would not surprise me a bit to see JP Losman back in the NFL next year as a potential starter.

I liked Losman and didnt think that everything that occured on the field was his fault (unlike MANY here have clinged to), but he didnt do himself any favors with making bone head plays at inopportune times. I think, by far, those plays have been JP's biggest detriment as an NFL QB...

What I DONT understand, is how some people here can continue to back Trent Edwards, despite the fact that he cowers at any sign of pressure. Against winning teams, he has shown time and time again that he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starting QB, yet many of his supporters here place blame everywhere else (Oline, coaching, receivers, the sun in his eyes). Trentative Edwards SUCKS, it's time to admit that as a group and move on...

Guest dog14787
I liked Losman and didnt think that everything that occured on the field was his fault (unlike MANY here have clinged to), but he didnt do himself any favors with making bone head plays at inopportune times. I think, by far, those plays have been JP's biggest detriment as an NFL QB...

What I DONT understand, is how some people here can continue to back Trent Edwards, despite the fact that he cowers at any sign of pressure. Against winning teams, he has shown time and time again that he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starting QB, yet many of his supporters here place blame everywhere else (Oline, coaching, receivers, the sun in his eyes). Trentative Edwards SUCKS, it's time to admit that as a group and move on...

Funny, I don't see TE cowering away from anything, but folks see what they want to see.

Really? Some of us are still using that Arizona hit as an excuse for pitiful play? Lets say you are correct and he is still "shell-shocked" from that hit. Does this "shell-shocked" syndrome translate into a successful pro career? Playing Qb in the NFL means you are going to take nasty hits often. If he can't get over that then its time to move on.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Trent is still affected even in the slightest bit by last years hit. He's been playing Qb for most of his life and has probably had many tough shots. If you are correct, he is never going to be a good NFL Qb. If you are incorrect, he is never going to be a good NFL Qb. Trent Edwards is a solid backup Qb, nothing else.

Guest dog14787
Really? Some of us are still using that Arizona hit as an excuse for pitiful play? Lets say you are correct and he is still "shell-shocked" from that hit. Does this "shell-shocked" syndrome translate into a successful pro career? Playing Qb in the NFL means you are going to take nasty hits often. If he can't get over that then its time to move on.

I don't subscribe to the theory that Trent is still affected even in the slightest bit by last years hit. He's been playing Qb for most of his life and has probably had many tough shots. If you are correct, he is never going to be a good NFL Qb. If you are incorrect, he is never going to be a good NFL Qb. Trent Edwards is a solid backup Qb, nothing else.

I agree about the hit last season, if TE can't get over that, he's done. In my opinion his poor play this year has nothing to do with the concussion TE suffered last season.

We completely trash a former first round draft choice's career( JP), decimate the O-line in the off season, then to top it off we fire our OC one week before the season starts.

We really are giving TE a level playing field for you to make an accurate assessment aren't we Push.