Do you blame Edwards for being shell-shocked?

LGB

It is not the coaching it is the player...Trent Edwards. We need to quit blaming the coaches and how a new OC will make a bad player better...players play and win or lose. This town ran Kevin Gilbride out of town and he coaches a SB winning offense. Did he all of a sudden become such a better coach? Well he did when he got Eli Manning as his QB.

Dan Henning was run out of town as well....seems to have had a lot of success the other places he went.

Mike Mularkey was horrible with Losman and Holcomb but then apparently was such a better coach when he had Ryan in Atlanta and Turnr as his RB.

Quit the excuses for Edwards, he is the one missing the throws, not making the throws. It is literally that simple on 90% of plays.

Do you think Mularkey was in over his head as head coach, now he's an OC and things are going much better maybe he can concentrate on the offense. By the way he was abyssmal with Holcomb and a very raw Losman.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edwards is probably only one or two more Pat LaFontaine hits away from concussion problems given the number of hits he has taken behind the least experienced NFL offensive line. That is, if he hasn’t already been having issues. Trent Edwards has been behind a sub-par line all through college and with the Bills. If you were QB of the Bills, would you want to have this collection of rookies and bench-sitters protecting you from 270 pound bull-rushing defensive ends and all-out blitzing safeties? Is it any wonder the guy is shell-shocked to the point where the first instinct is to bail-out? The OL is everything on offense and besides Edwards having issues, it will be tough to run the ball with a rookie OL. Would anyone be really surprised with a one-win season with the mess we have right now?

Edwards was shell shocked and sucked big time last year, our line was fine last year, so whats your excuse for his pitiflul year last year?

Edwards was shell shocked and sucked big time last year, our line was fine last year, so whats your excuse for his pitiflul year last year?

TE had a couple of good games last year and almost threw for 300 yards when Buffalo beat Kansas City last year 54-31. The 0-5 Chiefs are on the schedule again, but it might be a closer game this time around.

BTW - The Bills have 5 starters on IR already.

Kawika Mitchell

Brad Butler

John DiGiorgio

Leodis McKelvin

Derek Schouman

TE had a couple of good games last year and almost threw for 300 yards when Buffalo beat Kansas City last year 54-31. The 0-5 Chiefs are on the schedule again, but it might be a closer game this time around.

Kawika Mitchell

Brad Butler

John DiGiorgio

Leodis McKelvin

Derek Schouman

Why can't we play last years Chief team every week? Speaking of last years Chiefs, why didn't we go get Thigpen? In all seriousness I thought the guy did some nice things last year. It would have been a great start to finding a solution. I'm all for bringing in a couple vets and a couple rookies, to compete with what we already have. I just don't want to see the FO put all its stock into 1 Qb anymore.

Do you think Mularkey was in over his head as head coach, now he's an OC and things are going much better maybe he can concentrate on the offense. By the way he was abyssmal with Holcomb and a very raw Losman.

Point being all of these OCs who were run out of town may have actually been very good coaches as they have had a great deal of success all over the place and that leads any logical person to the conclusion that it is the players...most notably the QB. We need a great QB. You can bring in whoever you want as coach but you will never go anywhere without a very good QB.

Kawika Mitchell

Brad Butler

John DiGiorgio

Leodis McKelvin

Derek Schouman

Starting LBs were Mitchell, Poz, and Ellison.

This is the actual list on IR from their website:

60 Butler, Brad OL 6-7 315 26 4 Virginia

25 Hairston, Justise RB 6-1 210 26 1 Central Connecticut

71 McGhee, Jermaine DE 6-2 257 25 1 Prairie View A&M

28 McKelvin , Leodis CB 5-10 184 24 2 Troy

61 Philip, Marvin C 6-1 307 27 1 California

40 Sargeant, Lydell DB 6-1 187 22 R Penn State

80 Schouman, Derek TE 6-2 223 24 3 Boise State

98 Smith, Marcus DE 6-4 295 25 1 Arizona

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html

Edwards is probably only one or two more Pat LaFontaine hits away from concussion problems given the number of hits he has taken behind the least experienced NFL offensive line. That is, if he hasn’t already been having issues. Trent Edwards has been behind a sub-par line all through college and with the Bills. If you were QB of the Bills, would you want to have this collection of rookies and bench-sitters protecting you from 270 pound bull-rushing defensive ends and all-out blitzing safeties? Is it any wonder the guy is shell-shocked to the point where the first instinct is to bail-out? The OL is everything on offense and besides Edwards having issues, it will be tough to run the ball with a rookie OL. Would anyone be really surprised with a one-win season with the mess we have right now?

I dont buy this premise at all. Edwards isnt getting killed back there and the running game has been faily effective.

Wilson gave the "line play" excuse the other day too. It doesnt wash, not this year.

There are QBs in this league right NOW who have O-Lines just as bad as Trent's. But they don't turn into deer in headlights because of it. Much like his head coach. God, if only we'd know what old Footsteps woulda been like had he had a real man coaching him the last three seasons. I'm guessing the exact same scared little baby, but at least he'd be the backup to a smarter, ballsier veteran by now.

Even the first couple of games when he had time, he wouldn't throw downfield. For crying out loud ... he couldn't throw downfield at the end of the cleveland game ... he needed 30 yards minimum for a long FG attempt and he threw a 4yard pass to Evans.

I'm done with Edwards, the lights aren't going on for this guy ...

One thing that makes our line bad is all the "brain fart" penalties this unit is taking. That stuff is what bottom-feeder teams do and is entirely avoidable. It goes against the coaching staff as well. Why insist on the no huddle when you can't get lined up right or get the snap count right? It makes no sense. It puts an OL that may play adequately (or horribly) between the whistles on a few plays behind in the down-and-distance constantly. Stupid stuff.

Starting LBs were Mitchell, Poz, and Ellison.

This is the actual list on IR from their website:

60 Butler, Brad OL 6-7 315 26 4 Virginia

25 Hairston, Justise RB 6-1 210 26 1 Central Connecticut

71 McGhee, Jermaine DE 6-2 257 25 1 Prairie View A&M

28 McKelvin , Leodis CB 5-10 184 24 2 Troy

61 Philip, Marvin C 6-1 307 27 1 California

40 Sargeant, Lydell DB 6-1 187 22 R Penn State

80 Schouman, Derek TE 6-2 223 24 3 Boise State

98 Smith, Marcus DE 6-4 295 25 1 Arizona

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html

right, I guess when one starter goes down and another player starts, he is not a starter. Didn't Buggs go on IR?

I dont buy this premise at all. Edwards isnt getting killed back there and the running game has been faily effective.

Wilson gave the "line play" excuse the other day too. It doesnt wash, not this year.

Walker gets fired a week before the season starts and rookies Wood and Levitre get thrown right into the fire. Would Scott and Bell start on any other NFL team? Yep, it can't be the line play with all the experience these guys have. :unsure:

You know that you Trent supporters are starting to sound a lot like JP supporters lately. Please keep in mind that JP could hit a wide receiver more than -2 yds. behind the line of scrimage.

right, I guess when one starter goes down and another player starts, he is not a starter. Didn't Buggs go on IR?

1. You wrote John DiGiorgio, not Buggs. :unsure:

2. If you want to call a backup that started a game or two filling in for the actual starter, a "starter", to bolster your agenda, go right ahead. :thumbsup:

3. At least Buggs actually started a game in his role as a backup filling in for the true starter. We've had posters on this board try to claim anybody that plays a snap in a game is a "starter". :lol:

1. You wrote John DiGiorgio, not Buggs. :thumbsup:

2. If you want to call a backup that started a game or two filling in for the actual starter, a "starter", to bolster your agenda, go right ahead. :lol:

3. At least Buggs actually started a game in his role as a backup filling in for the true starter. We've had posters on this board try to claim anybody that plays a snap in a game is a "starter". :wallbash:

yep, I guess Buggs made my list, but not the Bills yet. You are right, what does being a starter mean anyway when you are on the Bills? Jonathan Scott (dropped from the Lions?)? Marcus Buggs (your prototypical MLB :unsure: )? Anyway, IR is nothing new to the Bills. Maybe that is why they like to carry so many DBs.

You know that you Trent supporters are starting to sound a lot like JP supporters lately. Please keep in mind that JP could hit a wide receiver more than -2 yds. behind the line of scrimage.

I actually liked JP somewhat (with the long ball) and it wasn't until he had 3 turnovers against NE at home that I started not liking him.

I remember seeing Trent standing on the sidelines before the MNF game against Cleveland last year. This was after the Arizona game (when he got clocked by AW) and the San Diego game (in which he played well enough to beat a talented if underachieving team).

His look and body language reminded me of a person who was experiencing a sinking feeling where what is sinking is that person's level of self confidence. I recognize the clinically observable characteristics of this syndrome because I had been victimized by it myself, as well as seeing it in others. He actually looked completely psyched out.

I thought my impression just had to be mistaken because I had never noticed this in TE before. But much (though not all) of what we have seen since then regretably confirms the analysis and conclusion.

This is why I know that there is something wrong in Trent's head. I don't know if it started with the hit in Arizona or whether it was there all along.

What I do know is that even a person who has all the skills needed to play the position will never be a good NFL quarterback unless he also has supreme (even irrational) confidence in himself. That is in large part what "it" is, and Trent very unfortunately seems not to have it. I hope I am wrong and that he proves me wrong, but that is where I land for now.

I remember seeing Trent standing on the sidelines before the MNF game against Cleveland last year. This was after the Arizona game (when he got clocked by AW) and the San Diego game (in which he played well enough to beat a talented if underachieving team).

His look and body language reminded me of a person who was experiencing a sinking feeling where what is sinking is that person's level of self confidence. I recognize the clinically observable characteristics of this syndrome because I had been victimized by it myself, as well as seeing it in others. He actually looked completely psyched out.

I thought my impression just had to be mistaken because I had never noticed this in TE before. But much (though not all) of what we have seen since then regretably confirms the analysis and conclusion.

This is why I know that there is something wrong in Trent's head. I don't know if it started with the hit in Arizona or whether it was there all along.

What I do know is that even a person who has all the skills needed to play the position will never be a good NFL quarterback unless he also has supreme (even irrational) confidence in himself. That is in large part what "it" is, and Trent very unfortunately seems not to have it. I hope I am wrong and that he proves me wrong, but that is where I land for now.

Some people think we should never sign a California QB, but unfortunately there isn't always a swaggering 6'4" stud QB from Pennsylvania waiting for you on draft day. TE had the ringing endorsement of Bill Walsh, but even he could be wrong? Look at Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell. Above average college QBs having a hard time in the Pros. In fact, there are quite a few QBs that just couldn't make it for one reason or another. Some of the notables:

Ryan Leaf

Todd Marinovich

Andre Ware

Akili Smith