Coaching

Take a look at the Denver Bronco's defense, last year they were the reason Shanahan was fired,they were horrid and almost last in every category . This year under new DC Mike Nolan they are the # ONE defense in the NFL with basically the same personnel. This year the Bronco's are 4-0 with Kyle Orton as the QB :blink:

Conversely, look at the Titans. They had the best record in the NFL last season and although they lost a star player in Albert Haynsworth, the only other major change on the team was the lost their defensive coordinator and the defense went from one of the best to #22 overall, and look worse then that. Last in the NFL in pass defense, and 0-4.

So yea, coaching can make a huge difference.

Take a look at the Denver Bronco's, last year they were the reason Shanahan was fired,they were horrid and almost last in every category . This year under new DC Mike Nolan they are the # ONE defense in the NFL with basically the same personnel. This year the Bronco's are 4-0 with Kyle Orton as the QB :blink:

Conversely, look at the Titans. They had the best record in the NFL last season and although they lost a star player in Albert Haynsworth, the only other major change on the team was the lost their defensive coordinator and the defense went from one of the best to #22 overall, and look worse then that. Last in the NFL in pass defense, and 0-4.

This post warrants my very first reply: Brilliant point....

Take a look at the Denver Bronco's, last year they were the reason Shanahan was fired,they were horrid and almost last in every category . This year under new DC Mike Nolan they are the # ONE defense in the NFL with basically the same personnel. This year the Bronco's are 4-0 with Kyle Orton as the QB :blink:

Responding to your title, can you name one person here who thinks coaching does not matter?

There are plenty of people posting on here that firing Jauron wont change anything

They probably mean that a new coach would have a hard time fixing this mess during the season. Hard to change the system without a training camp.

Jauron should be fired ... those of us saying it won't change anything just have ZERO faith in Ralph (and let's not kid ourselves, it will be Ralph and Ralph alone) hiring the right guy to replace him.

Given the list of names out there without jobs, this is the perfect year to fire your coach in-season and bring in a big name who is out of football (Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Billick, Holmgren, etc.) before any other jobs are open. Of course, that wouls still require paying way more than Ralph ever will, but at least there is no bidding war.

But even if Ralph does fire Jauron, he will surely just promote April on an interim basis and then choose not to get into a bidding war after the season ... it's an ugly cycle that isn't going to change as long as he is calling the shots.

EDIT: OK, so Jester said it way faster and less wordy than I did :blink:

You would be very surprised by the amount posters on this board who think the players are all that matter.

Coaching is everything, a great coach can take a team of nobody's and turn them into a contender.

I disagree. You need both. You need good talent evaluators to bring in quality personnel, and good coaches to take advantage of that talent. On top of that, the talent evaluators and coaches have to be on the same page.

Jauron should be fired ... those of us saying it won't change anything just have ZERO faith in Ralph (and let's not kid ourselves, it will be Ralph and Ralph alone) hiring the right guy to replace him.

Given the list of names out there without jobs, this is the perfect year to fire your coach in-season and bring in a big name who is out of football (Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Billick, Holmgren, etc.) before any other jobs are open. Of course, that wouls still require paying way more than Ralph ever will, but at least there is no bidding war.

But even if Ralph does fire Jauron, he will surely just promote April on an interim basis and then choose not to get into a bidding war after the season ... it's an ugly cycle that isn't going to change as long as he is calling the shots.

EDIT: OK, so Jester said it way faster and less wordy than I did :devil:

I don't understand this Ralph won't pay stuff. I mean we dump millions on crappy tackles and cut them after a few seasons why not try and pay for a coach who could take lesser talent and less money players and coach them. at the very least we might get FA coming here a reasonable price to play for a outstanding and winning coach. by the way I will bet you my pay check and it's big you would never hear Cowher go well we won't be hitting that much this preseason......

Mike Shanahan. Last year with Jay Cutler.

That's funny. I see Cutler finished last season as the 16th ranked QB in the league.

Oh, you were using the old "objective" ranking criteria.

GO BILLS!!!

Take a look at the Denver Bronco's, last year they were the reason Shanahan was fired,they were horrid and almost last in every category . This year under new DC Mike Nolan they are the # ONE defense in the NFL with basically the same personnel. This year the Bronco's are 4-0 with Kyle Orton as the QB :devil:

And yet Shanahan's name is one that repeatedly comes up on many people's wish list...

Guy didn't win jack when Elway wasn't his quarterback. And he was outcoached by Jauron late last year as the Broncos pulled off a choke for the ages.

But yes, I'd still rather have him over DJ. At this point, I'd rather have Elmo coach this team.

And yet Shanahan's name is one that repeatedly comes up on many people's wish list...

Guy didn't win jack when Elway wasn't his quarterback. And he was outcoached by Jauron late last year as the Broncos pulled off a choke for the ages.

But yes, I'd still rather have him over DJ. At this point, I'd rather have Elmo coach this team.

Shanahans problem came from wearing too many hats in the Bronco's organization, GM- head coach-play caller. The difference in him keeping his job and losing it was most likely that one loss last season, the Bronco's make the playoffs and he isn't fired.

The same sort of thing happened in Seattle with Mike Holmgren, too many hats and he lost the team because he can't focus on what he does best. Both of those two if rehired as head coaches need to be just that, the head coach.

You have to stand back and admire some of the recent new head coaches around the league that are so secure with their jobs that they hire a quality coordinator.

Would Josh McDaniel's and the Bronco's be 4-0 without that #1 defense run by Mike Nolan?

Would John Harbaugh have the success he is having in Baltimore without Cam Cameron as his OC?