"Think Like a Punter"

MRM33064

Following the lead of Mike Shanahan's "Think Like a Champion", Dick Jauron pens this season's must-read for all football fans.

Dick gives us a fresh perspective on how to coach in the NFL - where, he often reminds us, "it's very hard to win." Boldly taking issue with Shanahan's approach, Dick eschews the focus on desire, competitive drive and probabilities, and instead shares his uniquely calm, emotionless, approach centered on (what he asserts) to truly be the most valuable player on the team - the punter. It's no surprise that Brian Moorman has become the Bills top player during the Jauron era; the Bills perenniel Pro Bowl candidate.

In the book, Jauron shows us how the punt is not only a great tactical move (especially when losing in the 4th quarter by margins of 2 scores or more), but also a perfect metaphorical expression of his entire approach to the game - be nice, do what's right, recognize when you're beat, and keep it close. "Sure, a punt means we give up the ball without a fight - we just hand it right over to the opponent - but we move it 30 yards down the field. Sometimes 40!" He reminds us that unlike any other event in football, the punt is a friendly, gentlemanly plan. "By voluntarily conceding possession - surrendering you could say - we're doing what's morally right. Obviously, if we're at 4th down, they beat us on the previous 3 plays, so giving it up is just the right thing to do ... and it often takes them by complete surprise. Teams can't believe it when we punt when we're down, say, three touchdowns in the 4th quarter. We think that gives us a subtle psychological edge."

Dick pointed out that his principles apply equally well to clock management. He boldly shows us how to cleverly run out the clock at the end of the first half - without appearing to do so on purpose.

Of course, detractors will point out Jauron's 0-8 record in division games, and his 2-23 run against winning teams, but Dick steadfastly stands by his methods. "There are folks who disagree with me, but I'll say this much - not a single one of them is ever unhappy to play my teams, and I think that says a lot."

Dick Jauron is also the author of "Dick's Guide To Blackjack", recently in paperback, where he bravely takes the controversial ** position to always stand on 15 to the dealer's face card. "You can't give the dealer the game", he says, "you've got to make him earn it."

[** Read: Completely wrong.]

Following the lead of Mike Shanahan's "Think Like a Champion", Dick Jauron pens this season's must-read for all football fans.

Dick gives us a fresh perspective on how to coach in the NFL - where, he often reminds us, "it's very hard to win." Boldly taking issue with Shanahan's approach, Dick eschews the focus on desire, competitive drive and probabilities, and instead shares his uniquely calm, emotionless, approach centered on (what he asserts) to truly be the most valuable player on the team - the punter. It's no surprise that Brian Moorman has become the Bills top player during the Jauron era; the Bills perenniel Pro Bowl candidate.

In the book, Jauron shows us how the punt is not only a great tactical move (especially when losing in the 4th quarter by margins of 2 scores or more), but also a perfect metaphorical expression of his entire approach to the game - be nice, do what's right, recognize when you're beat, and keep it close. "Sure, a punt means we give up the ball without a fight - we just hand it right over to the opponent - but we move it 30 yards down the field. Sometimes 40!" He reminds us that unlike any other event in football, the punt is a friendly, gentlemanly plan. "By voluntarily conceding possession - surrendering you could say - we're doing what's morally right. Obviously, if we're at 4th down, they beat us on the previous 3 plays, so giving it up is just the right thing to do ... and it often takes them by complete surprise. Teams can't believe it when we punt when we're down, say, three touchdowns in the 4th quarter. We think that gives us a subtle psychological edge."

Dick pointed out that his principles apply equally well to clock management. He boldly shows us how to cleverly run out the clock at the end of the first half - without appearing to do so on purpose.

Of course, detractors will point out Jauron's 0-8 record in division games, and his 2-23 run against winning teams, but Dick steadfastly stands by his methods. "There are folks who disagree with me, but I'll say this much - not a single one of them is ever unhappy to play my teams, and I think that says a lot."

Dick Jauron is also the author of "Dick's Guide To Blackjack", recently in paperback, where he bravely takes the controversial ** position to always stand on 15 to the dealer's face card. "You can't give the dealer the game", he says, "you've got to make him earn it."

[** Read: Completely wrong.]

I will be emailing this out, good stuff!

You know, in a way today I felt like Dick - in his very plodding way - was purposefully sticking it to the fans and the media a little in today's conference, in his very boring, Jauron-ish way.

He's in the midst of what essentially amounts to a revolt, reinforced by the ESPN ratings, every media outlet is actively calling for his head, he's close to despised (as a coach) by the majority of the fans, and he reminds us that it's fun to coach football, to make $3million dollars a year (and have virtually no accountability) ... and the part he didn't say out loud ... that none of you blowhard jamokes can do anything about it. In a way, the only thing missing was him sticking his tongue out as us, pointing to the "scoreboard" that says:

Jauron: 9,000,000, Fans: Zero.

I dont wanna see Jauron fired anymore. That would be like fighting a forest fire with only your penis and a full bladder. I want the entire front office fired, and every coach unless they clearly have balls. And dont act like that is not a definable criterion. We dont have any balls.