Is it just me

I thought that Evans strength was his ability to blow past guys and catch long fly balls. And i thought T.Os strength was to catch a ball about 10-15 yds down field and make people miss/break tackles. It seems so far this season the Bills have reversed that a lot of time. I dont remember Evans getting a long fly thrown to him yet. But i remeber T.O on more then one occasion running that route. Maybe it is just me. Am i way off base here?

I thought that Evans strength was his ability to blow past guys and catch long fly balls. And i thought T.Os strength was to catch a ball about 10-15 yds down field and make people miss/break tackles. It seems so far this season the Bills have reversed that a lot of time. I dont remember Evans getting a long fly thrown to him yet. But i remeber T.O on more then one occasion running that route. Maybe it is just me. Am i way off base here?

I'm no fan of Schoenert, but there's a reason he called it a Pop Warner offense. From my perch, the Bills aren't creative at all when it comes to getting them open. Wherever he's been, TO has gotten open and made plays. He's also one of the 2 or 3 best west coast receivers of all time (slants, crossing patterns, etc.). Plus he's playing along one very good receiver (Evans) and an excellent slot player (Reed). I won't even get into how Evans is used. I think it's a combination of mediocre offensive coordination in the passing game, a gunshy QB, and a sieve-like offensive line at the tackle spot.

More broadly, don't you get the sense from the Bills that if they execute the short passing game well between the 20s, they think that it's a moral victory?

Guest dog14787

The Bills played a good defensive guru in Greg Williams on Sunday who did a very good job disguising his blitz packages and basically confusing the crap out of AVP and TE. Add that and our O-lines poor play and you get poor results.

To make TO and Evans become more of a threat, we have to do a better job devising ways to get the ball in their hands. TO is a threat anywhere on the field, I don't care if you have to hand him the ball or fit him into the wildcat as a potential ball carrier. It bothers me that so little consideration was taken over TO's broken string of games with a reception and how everyone seemed to shrug it off like it was nothing.

It was something, it meant something to TO and we should have gotten him the ball. Dumb arss HC :unsure:

Is it just me, or are the Bills useing T.O & Evans wrong?

I am really not sure how you are using them, but the Bills are definitely not taking advantage of 2 very good WR's. After the first half of that game I was baffled that they didn't target them often. I expected things to change in the second half, but they didn't. It didn't look like the Bills offensive plan had any kind of direction what so ever. I think AVP learned a lot from this game and expect things will change. He is a sharp football guy, but is going to experience some growing pains...

Guest dog14787
why we don't have 1-2 smoke routes a game is beyond me. when the corners are 10 yards off of either TO or Lee, GET THEM THE BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Exactly, get them the F :unsure: ing ball!!!

I'm coming around to the conclusion that it really has little to do with the coaches, and more with a QB that locks on to his receivers to early and refuses to be aggressive with the football.

Evans and TO were open enough yesterday. If Edwards had the balls to throw the ball, it may have peeled back their blitz a little.

I think the thread poses a misleading question. Technically, wouldn't the Bills have to use Lee and TO in their offense, first? Then we could determine if they're being used properly or not.

I would suggest that a better question, at this point, would be: Why are the Bills giving Lee and TO so many weeks off? We need them to play on Sundays as well as Fridays.

I thought that Evans strength was his ability to blow past guys and catch long fly balls. And i thought T.Os strength was to catch a ball about 10-15 yds down field and make people miss/break tackles. It seems so far this season the Bills have reversed that a lot of time. I don't remember Evans getting a long fly thrown to him yet. But i remember T.O on more then one occasion running that route. Maybe it is just me. Am i way off base here?

No, I agree.

Several things I don't see that bother me from the offensive formations:

1. T.O & Lee should be moved all over the field. In the slot, alternate sides & even starting in the backfield on occasion.

2. You know the Bills will be blitzed to death by every D.C. in the league until Trent shows he can beat it consistently. Why are T.O and Lee not the designated "hot route" more often?

3. Very limited use of motion. Both guys should be used in motion more often. It reveals man coverage easy, screws up defensive assignments and sometimes reveals where the blitz is coming from.

The Bills offense is beyond Pop Warner, popgun or any other freaking pop term out there. It's ultra conservative by design and it's sickening to watch.

It's you. They are fine. 30 catches, 450 yards and 6 TD's each so far. Oh wait, that's on Madden. Edwards is AFRAID to throw the ball downfield. I don't know why but he is. It was shown on film they were both open downfield numerous times and Edwards would not throw it. Someone better figure out why that is.

No, I agree.

Several things I don't see that bother from the offensive formations:

1. T.O & Lee should be moved all over the field. In the slot, alternate sides & even starting in the backfield on occasion.

2. You know the Bills will be blitzed to death by every D.C. in the league until Trent shows he can beat it consistently. Why are T.O and Lee not the designated "hot route" more often?

3. Very limited use of motion. Both guys should be used in motion more often. It reveals man coverage easy, screws up defensive assignments and sometimes reveals where the blitz is coming from.

The Bills offense is beyond Pop Warner, popgun or any other freaking pop term out there. It's ultra conservative by design and it's sickening to watch.

Yep.

We have a simple offense. Who was the opponent last year that was quoted as saying something like, "Their offense is so simple, we could defend it wearing blindfolds"?

Dickeradoo ball is all about playing to keep the score close.

It's you. They are fine. 30 catches, 450 yards and 6 TD's each so far. Oh wait, that's on Madden. Edwards is AFRAID to throw the ball downfield. I don't know why but he is. It was shown on film they were both open downfield numerous times and Edwards would not throw it. Someone better figure out why that is.

Maybe its because he was either running for his life or laying on his back?

Evans is 5-10 and 197 Owens is 6'3 and 225. Owens has good open field running ability, as well as the ability to break tackles. Evans has shown he might be the best deep threat in the league. My point is why has Evans not been thrown to deep and why is Owens not doing the 10-15 yd slants. People are running these routes just not Evans or Owens. Maybe the no huddle has something to do with this?

No, I agree.

Several things I don't see that bother me from the offensive formations:

For the life of me, why did we go with 2 receivers and 2 tight ends almost the entire game against the Saints? We have an excellent slot man in Josh Reed, and we are not even dressing Steve Johnson. The entire offensive scheme is archaic and useless. Derek Fine never runs a pattern over 5 yards from the line of scrimmage, and Lee Evans is being thrown to at less than 10 yards as well. We should be running 4 receivers at 15- 25 yards down the field with Freddy as a dump off screen guy if nothing is open deep. We need to start stretching the field vertically like just about every other team. With the scheme we are running, we are putting no pressure on the defense, and they can load up to blitz as the Saints did. Rush at least six on every play and use two corners and two safety's to cover Lee and TO. And put anyone on Fine, who will probably drop the ball anyways.

Jauron and his offensive coaches are just not installing a modern gameplan. The fact that we have not had a 300 yard passer in 39 games is absolutely mindboggling. And goes hand in hand with our horrible record against teams with winning records. DJ should be fired on this stat alone. Until we can find a vertical passing game (with a QB and offensive coaches who want one) this team will lose many more than they win. Noone wins consistently with a grind it out game anymore. Sure you need to be able to run some. (Giants in 2007) But you had better be able to throw it down the field. And we can not and do not try to do that. I believe at least Fitzpatrick would attempt to throw down the field. Here's to hoping he is starting much sooner than later.

ding ding ding......we have a winner

The only one who is off base here is our head coach.

TO and Evans aren't being used wrong. They aren't even being used.