Was Josh Reed Down On Infamous 3rd Down?

truth on hold

Saw the reply on the big screen behind me at the game and he was not down since I believe the rule requires his knees or shouldersto hif the ground. Neither of them touched as he rolled over the Saints player, but because they blew the play dead at that spot, theres not much to review, it did look like they talked with the officials about it before.

As for not going for it on 4th and 1, the bills were at the 28 in tehir own end, if they didn't make it (and watching the offence yesterday, chances are they don't), they give the Saints the ball in easy FG range if NO cant score the TD. I don't completly blame them for not going for it at that time. A TD at that point almost puts the game out of reach, and at that point the game was still winable for Buffalo. It was still early enough to stop the Saints and get the ball back to tie or take the lead with a TD

The correct coaching decision on that play would have been to call a time out to think it over, throw the challenge flag, lose the challenge and a second time out, send out the offense, take a delay of game call, and punt.

Really, Jauron got us two-thirds of the way there.

Actually, they determine the spot of the ball based on where he is when the play is over. Just so happens that that usually happens with the ball carrier going down.

Once the play is over, it's over. You can't review a play to see whether it's really over or not.

And the play ends when the whistle blows. Assuming for the sake of argument that he was never down, wouldn't a review just give them the ball at whatever point he was at when the whistle blew? I think it was the Dallas game last week where a play was ruled dead as an incomplete pass, but it had actually hit Whitten in the foot and bounced into the Giant DB's hands. He started to run it back, then the whistle blew. It was challenged and the Giants were awarded the ball at the spot where the whistle was blown (screwed out of a TD, but still got the ball). Is it different there since it was either an interception as opposed to a tackle?

And the play ends when the whistle blows. Assuming for the sake of argument that he was never down, wouldn't a review just give them the ball at whatever point he was at when the whistle blew? I think it was the Dallas game last week where a play was ruled dead as an incomplete pass, but it had actually hit Whitten in the foot and bounced into the Giant DB's hands. He started to run it back, then the whistle blew. It was challenged and the Giants were awarded the ball at the spot where the whistle was blown (screwed out of a TD, but still got the ball). Is it different there since it was either an interception as opposed to a tackle?

Actually, Mike Pierra (or however you spell that), head of officiating, talked about the Dallas play last week on NFL Network. He said the play is over when the Referee signals its over - not when the whistle is blown. So the whistle is not important. It's' when the Ref signals the play is over. In that game, the Ref signaled the play over after the Giant caught the ball off of Whitten's foot because he thought the ball hit the ground. So, upon review, the Giants got the ball because the ball didn't hit the ground; but they didn't get the touchdown (the Giant DB had run the ball into the endzone) because the ref signaled the play was dead. No whistle was blown.

Now keep in mind, that this guy talks out of his ass each week to defend whatever bad call the refs made that week.

Back to Josh, upon rewind, he definitely looked down. So, the Bills could have challenged the spot. It didn't look like they got a good spot. But, I'm sure Jauron would have punted anyway.