The Euphoria has worn off and...

ColdBlueNorth

Was watching the TB game again and just about every time Tampa had a big receiving play I saw a player nearby that seemed to be in the wrong place, not arriving in time to give help overtop, etc...

I kept saying to myself who is that #31???

Jairus Byrd - this kid is going to need to grow up in a hurry to be ready for NO.

I know we expect a lot from rookies, but times are a-changing.

After the euphoria of actually pulling out a win and sealing the deal wore off, I also felt that our offense had a lot of opportunities with a short field that ended in field goals. The score should have been even more lopsided. Against good teams we really can't afford to squander those shots.

I do feel like the offense is getting better, still need to use our Tight Ends more in the passing game, but AVP is setting up the offense in a way that plays to Edward's strengths and gradually getting him more comfortable with taking chances. I think that Fairchild had just about ruined that kid, maybe AVP can bring him back from the brink and help him grow into his potential.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand him being a rookie, but this is a year where we are starting a lot of youngsters.

I guess I am simply stating the obvious. That if Fewell is gong to use him on critical 3rd down, and/or nickle packages then he is going to have to step up and do his homework.

that... or the second half of the year may be meaningless

He was the safety on the last TD play against the Pats* as well. What I don't understand is why he's seeing so much play time this early in the year...and on critical plays?

...playing a new position.

I know that the coaches are high on this kid, from what I have read they feel that he is instinctive and has ball-hawking skills.

We are going to need to see those on display sooner rather than later.

There were quite a few blown coverage assignments that our pass rush made up for... but covering the opposing tight end is still a problem for us. Especially that turd Stevens. I thought his name sounded familiar.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...stevens270.html

Not impressed YET, but hopefully he will show something soon.

He is supposed to be a bit more fluid and faster in coverage than Donte, but asking a rookie to read NFL plays right out of the gate is asking a lot. He was just one of the weak links in coverage that I hope are up to the task this Sunday.

There is always AT LEAST one....

That takes an innocent comment and runs like mad with it. What took you so long?

Did I say "bust"?

I said I was not impressed with his play yet, were you?

Yes, he has 2 games under his belt, but apparently the coaches have seen enough to trust him in those 3rd and long situations. Whatever they saw he hasn't brought yet - I hope he does soon if they have him out there against Brees and we don't get any help from the weather.

I understand him being a rookie, but this is a year where we are starting a lot of youngsters.

I guess I am simply stating the obvious. That if Fewell is gong to use him on critical 3rd down, and/or nickle packages then he is going to have to step up and do his homework.

that... or the second half of the year may be meaningless

I don't think that is the case. Yes, we are starting two rookie guards and a young OL in general. but we are not "starting" Byrd. He barely plays outside special teams. He is a smart kid. I don't think doing homework is an issue with him. I think he just needs to get used to professional football, and that takes time. It is like Maybin. Sure, he is playing. but he is starting. Their early development isn't critical like it is for wood and leveitre.

After missing most of camp I don't expect much from him until next year...but he can't learn without making mistakes. That is why we call them rookies.

All too true, but if he is out there he has got to expect that Brees will be looking for him.

This team is asking a lot of children to grow up in a hurry this year, it wouldn't be the first time we threw a safety or DB into the fire.