which current bill(s) would start on early 90's team?

truth on hold

1. TO (easily better than Reed or Lofton)

2. Terrence McGee

I think that's about it. By the end of the season we may be ready to add a few more to the list. And Lee Evans over James Lofton is absolutely absurd. Also, the #3 receiver wasn't Tasker - it was Don Beebe, and yes, he is a no brainer over Josh Reed.

hmmmm, be careful, SGBF, you could be right about No. 1 but remember, it is 35 year old T.O., not Hall of Famer T.O. In other words, does he still start at 35 years old over a later 20s Adre Reed and a 32-34 year old Jame Lofton?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mcgee and mckelvin might at corner, and whitner might now that theyve moved hin to FS. other than that im hard pressed to come up with any current bill at LB, on the Dline (which is a bit unfair because they used to play 3 - 4), but in any scheme im not sure jeff wright sits. on offense a similar picture emerges: no way edwards over kelly, or lynch or jackson over thurman, and none of the current offensive line or tight ends. but like defense, the further away from the line you get the better the current team might fair. andre reed was great but is he really a no-brainer over owens? also i see i give evans a slight nod over lofton. for 3rd receiver im staying with tasker over josh reed.

for kicking game ill take morman at punter, but christie at field goals.

so at most it seems like 4 to 6 of the current bills would find a spot on the early 90's team. makes you realize how talented the early 90's team was.

McGee,Stroud,Moorman,.....TO at age 35 and young McKelvin are close calls.-Although Jackson aint miles behind Thurman.

While it is still very early to tell Wood has all the markings of a guy that could be added to the list. There has been some banter back and forth about Reed = TO or visa versa. IMO Reed is better for the K-Gun. TO whether because of attitude or conditioning got lazy for parts of the game the other day. Reed never took plays off.

McGee,Stroud,Moorman,.....TO at age 35 and young McKelvin are close calls.-Although Jackson aint miles behind Thurman.

yup I'm sure they're measuring fred for a canton bust as we speak. He's had a couple of nice games but take it easy. SGBF is already taking the thread to a sublime level of stupid, let's not take things over the top.

Conlan was absolutely terrific as a run stuffer. Until his injuries anyway. You would take him over Poz any day.

I don't think anyone would take Poz over conlan (until the injuries).... Who was the other bills inside backer during the 90's SB teams? Bentley, ?? I'm having trouble coming up w/ other names. Those teams had 2 inside LB's so I think Conlan would start and Poz could also start in the middle replacing whomever we had opposite Conlan.

No way Beebe is better than Evans either. Evans would have incredible numbers playing opposite Reed and TO and with Kelly throwing it to him, that offensive line and the run game we had w/ Thurman/Davis. Saying Evans hasn't put up great numbers as a #1 is relative to what he has had to work with. Our offense the past few years has had a revolving door at qb, horrible olines, leading to a bad run game, bad schemes/oc's and Evans being the only legit threat has been doubled all the time. Lee Evans isn't Jerry Rice, but as a #3 on those early 90's bills teams, he is the better overall player than beebe.

Jackson's still officially the 2nd string RB. so the appropriate question is does he get the nod ahead of Kennth Davis backing up Thurmanator? not clear to me as they used Davis almost more like fullback in goal line situations to supplant Thermals lack of size/leaping ability. Jackson is almost too much like Thurman to be considered complimentary

yup I'm sure they're measuring fred for a canton bust as we speak. He's had a couple of nice games but take it easy. SGBF is already taking the thread to a sublime level of stupid, let's not take things over the top.

right now Jackson is playing fantastic ball. Im not compatring him to Turman career wise. Im just saying Freddie is playing terrific ball---and that he is not MILES behind Thurmal at this point in time. Thats all. Thurmal all the way.

Jackson's still officially the 2nd string RB. so the appropriate question is does he get the nod ahead of Kennth Davis backing up Thurmanator? not clear to me as they used Davis almost more like fullback in goal line situations to supplant Thermals lack of size/leaping ability. Jackson is almost too much like Thurman to be considered complimentary

Thats true..I just threw Jackson in there because he is playing great ball. I didn't nominate him.

Bills homers are the funniest thing going

especially the ones that are 12 years old

the current team struggled to beat one of the worst teams in the league after giving away a sure win.

and now they are world beaters and better than Hall of Famers

OK :devil:

Conlan was very overrated and always made tackles 5 yards down the field. He benefited from playing with superior players around him and was not very good. Evans and Lofton are 2 different style of receivers. If you ever take a look at Lofton's stats - they are not spectacular:

1990 - 35-712-4

1991 - 57-1072-8

1992 - 51-786-6

He was a bigger threat than anything. I could see the argument for Evans, but that's why I think they are a wash.

Conlan was a little overrated but his resumee is infinitely better than the great and powerful Poz. He has no resumee. Reality check people.

Lofton was an aging player by the time he hit Buffalo but he seemed to get open more often than Lee does.. but Lee has superior hands. (Can you say coaching here).

Sorry, Henry Jones and Leonard Smith are better than Whitner but Whitner is still improving.

Moorman is far superior.

It's still too early to annoint anyone on this line as superior to those guys in the 90's. I do have high hopes that the combo of Wood, Levitre, Bell, Meredith, Butler can produce 3-4 above average lineman along with the cohesion that is of great benefit.In fact, if the O-line can be developed, the Bills should be a playoff contender for some years to come. You cannot overestimate the value of those five guys.

Finally, Metzelaars is better than anyting in our stable, based solely on CURRENT production capabilities.

Defense

Stroud over Wright

Schobel over Seals (not over Hanson)

Poz over Conlin

Ellison over Bennett - just kidding

McGee over Jackson (but I would take Odomes over McGee or McKelvin)

Whitner and Jones are a wash (Leonard Smith was better than either)

Offense

Owens and Reed are a wash

Evans and Lofton are a wash

Tasker was not the number 3, Beebe was. who is again a wash with Reed.

I would take Eric Wood over Glenn Parker at RG, 90's Bills OL win the rest

Right now I would take Metz over Nelson, but this may change over time.

Oh and how can we forget - Hamden over Gilbert...

Punter

Moorman - no doubt

Dude do your keepers know you left that padded room? You must not really be old enough to remember the early 1990's are you?

Come on, Poz over Conlan? I am a huge fan of Poz, but Conlan made Pro Bowls and Poz can't even make it through a season healthy.

Wood over anyone after only 2 games? Especially Parker-who played in more than twice as many Superbowls (5) as Wood has games period.

I like Evans alot but a wash with HOFer James Lofton-give me a break.

Hamden of Gilbert-how can you even judge that, (why would you judge that?) neither of them ever play, although Gilbert did go to 5 straight Superbowls, they won't even let Hamden buy a ticket to a Superbowl yet.

Isn't it sad that we are compairing and arguing whether our current #1 is better than our #3 from that team???? What does that really tell you about our current #1?

That he's not a hall of famer yet, which is why we weren't saying he'd be the #1/2 from the 90s?

Your statement is kind of ridiculous, like the Steelers comparing linebackers currently to the ones from the 70s.