Bills game not shown in Syracuse and CNY area

Metal Man

There was some discussion yesterday over TSW instant messenger about if the Bills game would be on television this weekend in the Syracuse market being that it is a fox game. I have lived outside Syracuse the last few years and when the Bills are on fox the Giants have been getting priority over them every time. This year the Giants play at 1, but fox does not have the double header and it looks like they will be showing the 1pm Giants instead of the 4pm Bills in everywhere East of Rochester.

For all the Bills fans that this affects, I hope it is wrong, but this link has been accurate for me for years.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

Call (315) 472-6800 it FOX Syr. The lady was a anti football fan and could give a ****. So call for football fans dont just call for bills fans....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me as when I was at SU for four years (04-08), I didn't miss a single game, except for one that blacked out (I believe it was against the chargers). I think the titans xmas eve game was probably blacked out, but I was at that game, unfortunately.

To me, it just makes sense that the Bills should HAVE to be shown in Syracuse since it is a secondary market for the Bills and not the giants. This is comparable to Erie where lots of steelers and browns fans are forced to watch the Bills, as long as the sell out. Why is Syracuse different? I don't think this "sliver" of land that causes blackouts in syracuse is really relevant here, since the game is sold out. Whats the deal?

The game isn't being blacked out, the whole Yates county thing has nothing at all to do with why the game isn't on in Syracuse. Onc channel gets the AFC and the other gets the NFC. In interconference games, the conference of the visiting team controls. NO is visiting the Bills so it is designated to be an NFC game so only the NFC channel can televise it, not the AFC station. The stations alternate double headers, one week its an NFC double header, the next its and AFC double header. This week the double header goes to the local AFC affiliate who can't televise the Bills game as it is an NFC game. The NFC channel can only televise one game. Normally, since the Bills are an AFC team, they show the Giants and the fans in this area expect to see them on that station every weekend. Rather than upset that to show the other station's team, they are sticking with "their" team, the Giants. They have no interest in increasing the amount of fans for a team that plays on another network most of the time and in competition with the team they usually show.

What is stupid is that the NFL doesn't take these things into account when scheduling the games and has no provision for local affiliates to trade their double header days back and forth.

But I can't blame the NFC network which can only occasionally show the Bills from putting on the same team they always do, the Giants, even here in Syracuse. I am sure they would rather televise the Bills all the time but they don't have that option, they have to pick an NFC team. The Giants practiced in Albany which isn't too far from here and the Jets practiced in Cortland, only 30 minutes south of Syracuse.

When I moved her in 1967 and through the 70's there were no Bills fans, the team usually stunk. Everyone was a Giant, Jet or SB winner fan. Any team having success would have a lot of temporary fans here, Oakland, Dallas, Miami and Pittsburgh mostly as they were the good teams in the '70's.

I was one lonely kid on that school bus in my Bills blue knit hat with the red pom-pom. It was surreal watching all these kids in Sunny Miami Dolphin crap trudging through 2 feet of snow to get to the bus.

The game isn't being blacked out, the whole Yates county thing has nothing at all to do with why the game isn't on in Syracuse. Onc channel gets the AFC and the other gets the NFC. In interconference games, the conference of the visiting team controls. NO is visiting the Bills so it is designated to be an NFC game so only the NFC channel can televise it, not the AFC station. The stations alternate double headers, one week its an NFC double header, the next its and AFC double header. This week the double header goes to the local AFC affiliate who can't televise the Bills game as it is an NFC game. The NFC channel can only televise one game. Normally, since the Bills are an AFC team, they show the Giants and the fans in this area expect to see them on that station every weekend. Rather than upset that to show the other station's team, they are sticking with "their" team, the Giants. They have no interest in increasing the amount of fans for a team that plays on another network most of the time and in competition with the team they usually show.

What is stupid is that the NFL doesn't take these things into account when scheduling the games and has no provision for local affiliates to trade their double header days back and forth.

But I can't blame the NFC network which can only occasionally show the Bills from putting on the same team they always do, the Giants, even here in Syracuse. I am sure they would rather televise the Bills all the time but they don't have that option, they have to pick an NFC team. The Giants practiced in Albany which isn't too far from here and the Jets practiced in Cortland, only 30 minutes south of Syracuse.

When I moved her in 1967 and through the 70's there were no Bills fans, the team usually stunk. Everyone was a Giant, Jet or SB winner fan. Any team having success would have a lot of temporary fans here, Oakland, Dallas, Miami and Pittsburgh mostly as they were the good teams in the '70's.

I was one lonely kid on that school bus in my Bills blue knit hat with the red pom-pom. It was surreal watching all these kids in Sunny Miami Dolphin crap trudging through 2 feet of snow to get to the bus.

You're right; it is the FOX/CBS station switch. In Albany, it was even worse. When the Giants were home to an AFC team and not on the Fox network, the CBS affiliate would invariably show the Giants over the Bills, no matter who the Bills were playing .

Because it's a CBS doubleheader week, Fox can only show one game. They can show the Giants at 1:00 or the Bills at 4:00, but not both.

Last Sunday and this upcoming Sunday, we only got/get two games during the day on Sunday, because the local CBS affiliate, WIVB, decided to run infomercials instead of showing a game opposite the Bills.

Cant get enough of those infomercials. Mighty putty, I can watch that classic all day

Anyone ever check this out? http://www.watchlivenfl.com/

You're right; it is the FOX/CBS station switch. In Albany, it was even worse. When the Giants were home to an AFC team and not on the Fox network, the CBS affiliate would invariably show the Giants over the Bills, no matter who the Bills were playing .

That makes sense for Albany.

Here in Syracuse it would make sense to have the Bills on FOX over the Giants. Seriously, outside of SU students there's much more interest in the Bills than the Giants.

On the other hand, many Syracuse locals actually attend the games in Orchard Park. Nice solution! :rolleyes:

I would think that the Bills would draw better ratings than the Giants in Syracuse so the FOX station would want to choose the Bills game, but maybe I'm wrong. There were a lot of Giants fans in Syracuse while I was there, but that was mostly other students. I always got the impression that locals were mostly Bills fans... probably because the Bills are sweet