Bills game not shown in Syracuse and CNY area

Metal Man

There was some discussion yesterday over TSW instant messenger about if the Bills game would be on television this weekend in the Syracuse market being that it is a fox game. I have lived outside Syracuse the last few years and when the Bills are on fox the Giants have been getting priority over them every time. This year the Giants play at 1, but fox does not have the double header and it looks like they will be showing the 1pm Giants instead of the 4pm Bills in everywhere East of Rochester.

For all the Bills fans that this affects, I hope it is wrong, but this link has been accurate for me for years.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was some discussion yesterday over TSW instant messenger about if the Bills game would be on television this weekend in the Syracuse market being that it is a fox game. I have lived outside Syracuse the last few years and when the Bills are on fox the Giants have been getting priority over them every time. This year the Giants play at 1, but fox does not have the double header and it looks like they will be showing the 1pm Giants instead of the 4pm Bills in everywhere East of Rochester.

For all the Bills fans that this affects, I hope it is wrong, but this link has been accurate for me for years.

http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

I see that a chunk of Iowa and Missouri get the NO - BUF game plopped in the middle of GB-STL coverage. I guess that's the TO name factor.

I guess I'd like to understand how the NFL can black out Syracuse when the Bills fail to sell out, but don't designate them as a home market which would force CBS and FOX to show them in a situation such as this.

Of course, it's not as bad as the Steelers fans who live in Erie have it.

i live in rome, ny and i have it on fox.

I live in Rome too. Where are you seeing that the Bills game will be on fox this weekend?

This map has been right before and by the looks of it Rome will be getting the Giants at 1pm instead of the Bills at 4.

I see that a chunk of Iowa and Missouri get the NO - BUF game plopped in the middle of GB-STL coverage. I guess that's the TO name factor.

That is because the Chiefs are playing a 1PM game on CBS, meaning that FOX is not allowed to show a 1PM game in the Kansas City market. They chose NO/BUF over CHI/SEA, probably to show an AFC team into a traditional AFC market.

I guess I'd like to understand how the NFL can black out Syracuse when the Bills fail to sell out, but don't designate them as a home market which would force CBS and FOX to show them in a situation such as this.

It blacks out even to Rome where I live. When I first moved out here I did some digging about this.

From what I understand the black out covers a certain area based on zip code, but also the range of any station's broadcast within that zip code. So there are stations in East Rochester that can reach Syracuse, therefore Syracuse is blacked out too. Then because Rome get's their CBS from the Syracuse affiliate, it is blacked out too.

These laws need to be looked at again. Makes no sense that someone 200 miles from the stadium should be blacked out.

Sorry to post twice... But I got to looking around and the game is not going to be shown in Utica or SYR this weekend!

A question to those of you in this area. Is there an establishment a where some Bills fans go to watch a games around here?

Sorry to post twice... But I got to looking around and the game is not going to be shown in Utica or SYR this weekend!

A question to those of you in this area. Is there an establishment a where some Bills fans go to watch a games around here?

I haven't found a place that has a bunch of Bills fans for football yet.

But Zebbs in New Hartford is a decent place with the NFL Ticket to watch football.

You ask a very good question. In a situation like this, when the Bills game is sold out in time for local TV, but the network affiliate in Syracuse can't or won't carry the game, will Direct TV make the game available in the Syracuse area on a Sunday Ticket channel?

You ask a very good question. In a situation like this, when the Bills game is sold out in time for local TV, but the network affiliate in Syracuse can't or won't carry the game, will Direct TV make the game available in the Syracuse area on a Sunday Ticket channel?

I believe the answer is no. A blackout is a blackout. There are no last min exemptions for Sunday ticket.

The game will be available in the Syracuse area on Sunday Ticket because this isn't a blackout - this is the FOX / Bills-Giants Conflict. Twice per year, when an NFC team comes to Buffalo - Fox might show the Giants instead.

Last year I read somewhere they would show the Giants if the Giants were at home only but I guess that was incorrect.

But Zebbs in New Hartford is a decent place with the NFL Ticket to watch football.

There used to be a bar on Dominick St in Rome that showed Bills games. Rhine Haus? Are they still there? Been awhile since I've been back to CNY.

My area is stuck with the Dolphins game at 4. :devil:

OK. I let my ticket go this week so my buddy could take his girlfriend to this game. Next time i will check the local listings first. :devil: All good though, taking Dad to Texans game with his seat.

I don't know what determines who has the double header but CBS had it last week, so I would assume Fox would have it this week. So that would leave the 4PM slot open for the Bills game.

I believe in the past the local stations swapped slots a couple of times. It is good for both Syr stations if the Bills end up being shown.

I don't know what determines who has the double header but CBS had it last week, so I would assume Fox would have it this week. So that would leave the 4PM slot open for the Bills game.

I believe in the past the local stations swapped slots a couple of times. It is good for both Syr stations if the Bills end up being shown.

You can determine who has the double header by the starting time of the late games. The network that has the double header starts it's games at 4:15. The other network starts it's late games at 4:05. CBS has the double header again this week too.

There's a sliver of farmland in the westernmost part of the Syracuse television market that is within the Buffalo-NFL blackout zone, so because of that everyone in the Syracuse market loses out. When the NFL expanded the blackout zone years ago, they were happy to find that fact out to justify the expanded blackout.

In Syracuse, the Beginning II restaurant is know as the local Bills spot. It's in East Syracuse about 10 miles south of the closest Thruway exit 34A.

I just checked the Time Warner Sunday listings, and the Syracuse day games are Giants-Bucs, Titans-Jets, and Dolphins-Chargers.

I live way north of watertown and we never get blacked out when the game is on cbs. But apparently they black us out on fox because I just checked and its not showing :devil:
Because it's a CBS doubleheader week, Fox can only show one game. They can show the Giants at 1:00 or the Bills at 4:00, but not both.

Last Sunday and this upcoming Sunday, we only got/get two games during the day on Sunday, because the local CBS affiliate, WIVB, decided to run infomercials instead of showing a game opposite the Bills.