Bills Sign Jamon Meredith

LABills08

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is nothing that says a PS player who is made an offer can't call the team who put him on the PS and say "hey, the Bills made me an offer, what you got?"

If a team has a good relationship with the players on the PS, and is prepared to open the roster spot to sign them at short notice, there is always a way to make a deal. The Packers gambled here and lost. Maybe they did not have anyone they were willing to cut. So it goes.

Yeah, but there's also nothing that says the team that wants him can't say "Look, we're making an offer, take it right now or we'll find someone else. If they wanted you on the team, you'd be there, and this is a now-or-never, take-it-or-leave-it offer.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/articl...01/90922151/tbd

Here's a Green Bay paper's article on the situation. The take is that the Packers thought he was raw.

"The Packers drafted Meredith as a prospect with significant talent who was on the board in the fifth round in part because of concerns about his coachability. "

"The Packers didn’t have any problems with Meredith in his five months with the team but thought he was raw as a player and apparently didn’t try to sign him when Buffalo showed interest."

As you can see, they "apparently didn't try to sign him," which is basically a guess.

True enough, and it is indeed possible that the Bills made such an offer. Still, the Pack took their risk by keeping Meredith on the PS. Everyone played by the rules....

Yeah, but there's also nothing that says the team that wants him can't say "Look, we're making an offer, take it right now or we'll find someone else. If they wanted you on the team, you'd be there, and this is a now-or-never, take-it-or-leave-it offer.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/articl...01/90922151/tbd

Here's a Green Bay paper's article on the situation. The take is that the Packers thought he was raw.

"The Packers drafted Meredith as a prospect with significant talent who was on the board in the fifth round in part because of concerns about his coachability. "

"The Packers didn’t have any problems with Meredith in his five months with the team but thought he was raw as a player and apparently didn’t try to sign him when Buffalo showed interest."

As you can see, they "apparently didn't try to sign him," which is basically a guess.

Exactly. Bills elevated Peters off PS when Giants/Lions (?) put a claim on him during the season. No reason Packers shouldn't have also protected a good prospect.

I don't think that's right.

When the Bills originally cut Peters, before the practice squad was formed, a team or two, including the Giants, I believe, had Peters in for a workout. But they ended up not asking him to join the team, so he joined the Bills again.

Peters was raised from the practice squad to the roster on 11/12/04. I checked TBD for that date. As usual, you can't open the stories that long ago, but you can see the headline and a sentence or two. Check it out:

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/P17280/

As you can see, the headline of one of the stories says:

"The Bills Promote Peters [5:33 AM]

WGR-AM reports: 'A month under Jim McNally's tutelage must have done wonders for Peters to be promoted.'"

Doesn't sound like he was promoted for any reason but that he was getting a lot better. I futzed around on google trying to find anything about this, and haven't found anything that would confirm your story. Maybe you can do better. Give it a try and let us know if I'm wrong.

Who did you want them to spend big money on? Runyan? Levi Jones? Bring Langston Walker back... none of them will fit the no huddle. Not to mention what's the problem with our line right now? Our offense through 2 games is performing better than it has in 10 years. I'm fine with the youth movement.

I agree. Meredith is a good prospect. If the Bills are going to rebuild the line, then keep signing good young prospects. I'd rather they go this direction than bring in a 35 year old broken down tackle.

Meredith was projected by some to be a solid early 2nd round pick. He has raw potential. I say it was worth it. We'll see.

True enough, and it is indeed possible that the Bills made such an offer. Still, the Pack took their risk by keeping Meredith on the PS. Everyone played by the rules....

Exactly right.

If it does turn out that Meredith becomes a good one, they will look very bad, especially if it happens soon.

I don't know, but this looks more like a longer-term move to me.

I agree. Meredith is a good prospect. If the Bills are going to rebuild the line, then keep signing good young prospects. I'd rather they go this direction than bring in a 35 year old broken down tackle.

Meredith was projected by some to be a solid early 2nd round pick. He has raw potential. I say it was worth it. We'll see.

This is just me, but to me the whole "he was projected by some to go early" thing is much less reliable than looking at where he was actually picked.

To me, the whole "where I was projected" to go is important thing ought to be called the "Crabtree Position."

To me, he's a fifth rounder, because that's where he was picked. IMHO if they value this year more than next year, they would have picked a guy with experience. The fact that they picked a young guy indicates to me that they are looking long-range, which may be a very good idea with our tough schedule and inexperienced QB and o-line this year.

Best fit at the next level might come in a zone blocking scheme

That's actually interesting. I noticed the type of linemen Kugler has been accumulating have fit the Denver prototype more than anything, even if he doesn't necessarily run the zone block scheme per se.

I don't think that's right.

When the Bills originally cut Peters, before the practice squad was formed, a team or two, including the Giants, I believe, had Peters in for a workout. But they ended up not asking him to join the team, so he joined the Bills again.

Peters was raised from the practice squad to the roster on 11/12/04. I checked TBD for that date. As usual, you can't open the stories that long ago, but you can see the headline and a sentence or two. Check it out:

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/P17280/

As you can see, the headline of one of the stories says:

"The Bills Promote Peters [5:33 AM]

WGR-AM reports: 'A month under Jim McNally's tutelage must have done wonders for Peters to be promoted.'"

Doesn't sound like he was promoted for any reason but that he was getting a lot better. I futzed around on google trying to find anything about this, and haven't found anything that would confirm your story. Maybe you can do better. Give it a try and let us know if I'm wrong.

I recall reading it in a story the following season. The Giants tryout is known, but I think Chris Brown or someone else had a blurb on it the following training camp that Bills had to scramble to retain Peters as another team put a claim on him. Maybe it's a question for TG or JW to provide a real answer. Still, the move to place Ritzmann on IR when he never dressed and elevate Peters indicates it may have been more than just Peters' improving play in practice.

Jamon means "ham" in Spanish. The Bills signed a dude named Ham. Mmmmm...ham.

PTR

Jamon Iberico

You were saying? :rolleyes:

PTR

Didya go to Babel Fish and type it in? You were saying? :doh:

The problem is the "o". It needs the ' above it to make the word translate correctly. Enter "Jamón" and see what you get.

Google translate

Where before this post did you say that Jamon needs the ' ? You said Jamon means ham when in fact Jamón means ham. I was right and you were wrong. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Jackass!!

:lol:

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2...ice_squad_rules

There is no protection for practice squad players. They can choose to go to the team they are with and see if they will match/beat the offer made from another team to sign them, but they don't have to.

The Bills lost a corner-back a couple of years ago to the 49er's that they did not want to loose. They tried to make him an offer, but he wanted to go to them, rather than stay on our practice squad.

They don't elevate players from practice squad per-say, they sign them to a new contract.

It's practise in a lot of the world, basically the ones who speak forms of British English, which often includes Canada. Who are our friends.

Yeah, buddy, you keep thinking that. Then one morning you get smothered in your own bed by some maple syrup farmer with a toque-ful of back bacon. :rolleyes: