If we lose Jennings in FA arent we screwed?

JP-era

Please go ahead and blast me if Im way off on this but has anyone noticed an appreciable drop off when Marcus Price is in?

On the other hand Jennings just schooled the NFL sack leader, Abraham!!! How can we not want to keep this guy based on just that? Hell, do we franchise a LT who can own Abraham?

Im completely torn on this, what do we do?

I know the board loves Marcus Price, but he is what he is, a back up flip tackle. Over the course of a 16 game season, he wouldn't be as highly thought of around here. I could live with him as a starting RT, but no way do I want him protecting the blind side for a full 16 games. I doubt Jennings stays, so this is a legit problem. I know, I know, Jennings doesn't ever play a full 16 games anyways, we know this. I don't know what will happen, but Marcus Price or Dylan McFarland are not the solution at left tackle.

I have no confidence in TD's ability to bring in a legitimate Offensive Tackle.

He's paraded over two dozen into training camp since he arrived here.

His idea of the Offensive Tackle position is - that's the place you look for your first string center and guards.

Maybe even a blind squirrel finds a buried acorn once in awhile, but TD hasn't come up with bonafide Offensive Linement to save his ass - and he's been trying.

Jennings is constantly injured. He's pretty good (not great) but since he's never on the field for 16 games, it's hard to seriously think he's worth huge money.

That said, I'd rather have him at LT than Fat Slow Mike.

Who knows, maybe the Bills will figure out how to land a legit LT they can plant at the position for the next decade and send to the Pro Bowl annually.

A guy can dream, right?

The only thing I want is Jennings Franchised. We are trading Henry and can get a good high 2nd rounder for him. We have the cap room, let someone pay us something for Jennings. If it is another 2nd I can live with 3 2nd round picks this offseason.

The only thing I want is Jennings Franchised. We are trading Henry and can get a good high 2nd rounder for him. We have the cap room, let someone pay us something for Jennings. If it is another 2nd I can live with 3 2nd round picks this offseason.

The problem is Jennings IS NOT a franchise tackle. This worked with peerless because we created the impression we would be willing to keep him and pay him franchise money. Nobody would think we would be willing to pay jennings money, and thus at some point, have to drop the tag and get nothing in return. Its a big game, one which probably isnt worth playing (and the same reason we didnt tag winfield last year)

I have no confidence in TD's ability to bring in a legitimate Offensive Tackle.

He's paraded over two dozen into training camp since he arrived here.

His idea of the Offensive Tackle position is - that's the place you look for your first string center and guards.

Maybe even a blind squirrel finds a buried acorn once in awhile, but TD hasn't come up with bonafide Offensive Linement to save his ass - and he's been trying.

116227[/snapback]

And he should go where to get an OT? Maybe the Tackle tree? Jennings will get big money somewhere and Williams was at the top of many teams draft list. Price is an adequate sub. What would you do better given the salary cap? Be specific please. I know I'm "an unregistered troll." I'll make that disclaimer so you don't have to.

And he should go where to get an OT?  Maybe the Tackle tree?  Jennings will get big money somewhere and Williams was at the top of many teams draft list.  Price is an adequate sub.  What would you do better given the salary cap?  Be specific please. I know I'm "an unregistered troll."  I'll make that disclaimer so you don't have to.

116266[/snapback]

1ST would be Walter Jones the ALL PRO TACKLE from Seattle they plan on franchising Shawn Alexander ............I would Take him in a heart beat

Guest jp-era whoops didnt log in
1ST would be Walter Jones the ALL PRO TACKLE from Seattle they plan on franchising Shawn Alexander ............I would Take him in a heart beat

116299[/snapback]

Just because they cant franchise BOTH Jones and Alexander doesnt mean Jones ever hits the FA market!

At some point these teams will blink a.l.a. McAllister. StLouis, Seattle, Bal, someone will finally sign their big name LT and then the market will be set! I think its the Seahawks this year! No way they let Jones walk.

BTW, No way TD signs an all pro anything!

Kearse, passed it up

Woody, passed it up

Terrel Owens, passed it up

Even his greatest grab ever in FA, Takeo was not an all pro at that point. I dont see him breaking his tradition. I see him picking up the next Villarrial second tier type at LT, soory Bills but thats what I see.

Trust me I want a Jones, Pace, etc... But TD just doesnt pay top dollar for top FA's!

I'd like to see him kept, but only at a reasonable cost (like that's a novel concept).

He's a good, not great tackle, so the concept of franchising him would be very imprudent . (I would guess it would require a 1 yr salary & cap figure in the range of $10m!) He certainly ain't worth that.

As everyone points out, he is injury prone which requires having a solid BU, which we have in Price. W/o him, Price starts (a downgrade IMO) & on top of that, you have no one solid & proven to come off the bench.

If we could sign him for multiple yrs, w/ a signing bonus $8-10m & avg $4-5m/yr, I'd be happy. Not much more than that.

The only thing I want is Jennings Franchised. We are trading Henry and can get a good high 2nd rounder for him. We have the cap room, let someone pay us something for Jennings.  If it is another 2nd I can live with 3 2nd round picks this offseason.

116237[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one ICE.

I think Jonas should be our number one priority in the off season, but he has indicated pretty strongly that he wants to leave and go to Atlanta. Perhaps this expectation is why we continue to keep Trey Teague, who could be a solid LT (although not as good as Jonas). Teague could be a better LT than Price, who is so valuable as a back up, but may not be good as a starter. Moving Teague from Center may be ok, with Tucker shifting to that spot and filling the LG spot with a seviceble player. By the way, perhaps we are going to tryout the big TE Peters at Tackle, as well!

I think Jonas should be our number one priority in the off season, but he has indicated pretty strongly that he wants to leave and go to Atlanta.  Perhaps this expectation is why we continue to keep Trey Teague, who could be a solid LT (although not as good as Jonas).  Teague could be a better LT than Price, who is so valuable as a back up, but may not be good as a starter.  Moving Teague from Center may be ok, with Tucker shifting to that spot and filling the LG spot with a seviceble player.  By the way, perhaps we are going to tryout the big TE Peters at Tackle, as well!

116426[/snapback]

I agree Jonas is our top priority. The talk of franchising him is definately out of the question, however if we can I'd defiately transition him. That would allow us to match any offers he gets or let him go if the contract offer is just too high.

In terms of alternatives, one thing I would NOT advocate though is moving Teague over etc. As the one thing we need is continuity on the line and think the reasons they're playing better of late as they are finally getting used to one another. As I see things right now our best combination thus far has been LT Jennings, LG Tucker C Teague RG Villiarial RT Williams and feel it's best to keep them together as much as possible.

If we do lose Jennings, then I would hope we re-sign Price (for insurance) and bring in another veteran to either compete with Price or McFarland (who I don't see being ready) or to start. I have yet to see a list of guys who'd be available but guys like Chris Samuels and LJ Shelton are guys who have been rumored to be cap casualties that I'd definately persue if can't bring back Jennings. I think the Seahawks would sooner franchise Walter Jones, as they have the last two seasons, then Alexander. As Alexander and Holmgren not always been in best of buddies. Not to mention they have Maurice Morris on the bench. Heck if they let Alexander go they could even be a suitor for Henry.