John Murphy's

Estro

Just went to NFL.com to watch some of the highlights from the previous game. I don't listen to John Murphy's radio calls that much, but enough to realize he is terrible at calling games. Yes, it's just my opinion, but man it's painful to listen to and must be even worse live.

The main problem is he is so slow to relay what is happening on the field. He doesn't even mention Whitner is in the clear on the pick 6 until Whitner is at about the 20-25 yard line. IMO he leaves way too much to the imagination and does very little to help you envision what it going on, which is the main job of a play by play announcer.

Also last I checked are starting strong safety goes by the name Bryan Scott and not Byron Scott. I know I'm being overly critical here, and I also realize he isn't a household name in the league, but you'd think our own play by play guy would know the names of the starters. If you don't believe me just listen to his call on NFL.com (second video down under the WATCH tab.)

Anyone else share my same opinion or am I just being a baby?

Just went to NFL.com to watch some of the highlights from the previous game. I don't listen to John Murphy's radio calls that much, but enough to realize he is terrible at calling games. Yes, it's just my opinion, but man it's painful to listen to and must be even worse live.

The main problem is he is so slow to relay what is happening on the field. He doesn't even mention Whitner is in the clear on the pick 6 until Whitner is at about the 20-25 yard line. IMO he leaves way too much to the imagination and does very little to help you envision what it going on, which is the main job of a play by play announcer.

Also last I checked are starting strong safety goes by the name Bryan Scott and not Byron Scott. I know I'm being overly critical here, and I also realize he isn't a household name in the league, but you'd think our own play by play guy would know the names of the starters. If you don't believe me just listen to his call on NFL.com (second video down under the WATCH tab.)

Anyone else share my same opinion or am I just being a baby?

I listen to every game on radio. Murph is terrific. He's no Van Miller, but he's excellent, he paints good word pictures.

I listen to every game on radio. Murph is terrific. He's no Van Miller, but he's excellent, he paints good word pictures.

Totally agree. When I'm at the game I bring the headphones and when i'm watching on TV the sound is down and Murph is on loud. We all miss Van and I for one would have let him call games until he died in the booth ala Harry Kalas but Murph is so solid. He has the hometown enthusiasm but doesn't embarrass himself like other play by play guys in the league who openly cheerlead and think that saying the same phrase everytime their team scores is clever.

Mark Kelso may be the best analyst the Bills have ever had (no offense to Murph). Van Pelt was interesting (except for his out loud cheering) but Kelso reads what just happened and relays it instantly to the listener. He is also excellent at spotting trends early in a game that are critical to the outcome. Kelso also has a deceptively entertaining personality. Anyone listening to him talking trash to the Patriot fans ON THE AIR! sitting below the booth know what I mean.

Muprh was always the logical chioce and I thought it was in bad taste when they made him wait it out instead of naming him right away. He is one of the best in the league but my current #1 play by play man has to be Greg Papa of the Raiders broadcast...he is amazing!

Totally agree. When I'm at the game I bring the headphones and when i'm watching on TV the sound is down and Murph is on loud. We all miss Van and I for one would have let him call games until he died in the booth ala Harry Kalas but Murph is so solid. He has the hometown enthusiasm but doesn't embarrass himself like other play by play guys in the league who openly cheerlead and think that saying the same phrase everytime their team scores is clever.

Mark Kelso may be the best analyst the Bills have ever had (no offense to Murph). Van Pelt was interesting (except for his out loud cheering) but Kelso reads what just happened and relays it instantly to the listener. He is also excellent at spotting trends early in a game that are critical to the outcome. Kelso also has a deceptively entertaining personality. Anyone listening to him talking trash to the Patriot fans ON THE AIR! sitting below the booth know what I mean.

Muprh was always the logical chioce and I thought it was in bad taste when they made him wait it out instead of naming him right away. He is one of the best in the league but my current #1 play by play man has to be Greg Papa of the Raiders broadcast...he is amazing!

Yep...these guys are good. My local CBS network carried the Jets and Patriots. I wanted something better than Game Channel so I chose to listen on the net. They were fun!!! If you like Papa you ought to check out Josh Lewin of the Chargers. He is OUR play by play man for my Texas Rangers.

Yeah, I was dying when Murph was saying "stop that, get back here" and Kelso was yelling at the Pats fans trying to correct them. And getting a gesture in return and loving it. He was great there.

I liked Van Pelt just as much as Kelso, but they are both absolutely terrific color guys, seeing and diagnosing better than any other announcer I have ever heard. They don't simplify for the new viewers, you get lots of technical detail.

Spectacular radio broadcasts, IMHO.

Kelso is excellent. Dude is wicked smart.

Kelso needs a walkie talkie to AVP however they seem to be on the same wave length. His ability to read what the D is giving up is great, right before the TO pass for the TD he mentioned how the CB on that side was biting big on the play action. In the past he would be calling for a screen or quick slant but Turk was clueless.

Alot of people give Murph a hard time but Vans last few years became difficult for him to keep up with the play and get the name of players correct. I have sirius radio so never listen to the TV announcers just pause the DVR to let the radio feed catch up

You can't tell anything about Murphy's timing by watching the clips on nfl.com. If they are out of sync, it is likely because of the way the tech guys at nfl.com match up the audio and the video, and not a true reflection of Murph's reaction to live play.

kj

He has the hometown enthusiasm but doesn't embarrass himself like other play by play guys in the league who openly cheerlead and think that saying the same phrase everytime their team scores is clever.

I don't know. I want a little homerism from my hometown broadcasters. Listen to a Jets or Titans or Eagles broadcast, and you'll see what I mean.

Yep...these guys are good. My local CBS network carried the Jets and Patriots. I wanted something better than Game Channel so I chose to listen on the net. They were fun!!! If you like Papa you ought to check out Josh Lewin of the Chargers. He is OUR play by play man for my Texas Rangers.

Little known fact: Josh Lewin was play by play for the Rochester Red Wings back in the early 90's. I remember listening to him on the radio when the Wings made a Governors' Cup run. He was good.

Yeah, I was dying when Murph was saying "stop that, get back here" and Kelso was yelling at the Pats fans trying to correct them. And getting a gesture in return and loving it. He was great there.

That was hilarious!!!Lol!! After the Edwards roughing the passer call hearing Kelso off-mic telling the Pats fans that "If that was Brady you'd be screaming for a flag!" was priceless. Great stuff.