Edwards' play this game

bizell

Grade C+. His missed numerous opportunities to hit open receivers downfeild. If you watched on TV you prob didn't notice. I was at the game, and the people sitting around me also noticed his poor feild vision. We need to hire a full time QB coach who can help him with his reads. He throws the ball very well, now he just needs to locate the targets.

Poor field vision DOES NOT result in 70% completions and 26 points. I mean that is really all that needs to be said about it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grade C+. His missed numerous opportunities to hit open receivers downfeild. If you watched on TV you prob didn't notice. I was at the game, and the people sitting around me also noticed his poor feild vision. We need to hire a full time QB coach who can help him with his reads. He throws the ball very well, now he just needs to locate the targets.

C+????? Are you thinking of Leftwich? Trent had his best game as a Buffalo Bill and giving him a C+ is ridiculous. I was at the game too and he didn't have alot of time to throw on many plays. He deserved at least a B+. One bad pass resulting in a INT and a couple sacks. He ran when he needed too and got rid of the ball in a hurry for the most part.

I'll give TE an A+ for effort, especially after his one run. B+ overall, wasn't perfect

In the first 2 games Buffalo's WR's have accounted for 13 receptions, 201 yards and 2 TD's

Buffaloes TE's, 12 receptions, 129 yards and 1 TD,

RB (Fred Jackson) 11 receptions 108 yards receieving and 1 TD

Very evenly distributed in my opinion.

When your WR's are Lee Evans and Terrel Owens, 13 receptions is not evenly distributed for them combined in 2 games. They should have atleast double that.

So while the offense is improving, we really need to find a way to get the WR's more touches, especially with NO on deck

Somewhat unfortunate that TO dropped that beautiful pass, it seemed to travel more than 50 yards in the air and I guess that kind of kills that ridiculous criticism that he can't air it out.

Of course he can throw the ball 40-50 yards downfield, he is an NFL QB and I seriously doubt there is a single QB in the NFL, including Pennington who cant throw the ball 40-50 yards in the air (hell I can).

The judge of the ability to get the ball down that far is how much air the ball needs to arrive there. Trent tends to use a lot of air to get the ball that far, and thats been the criticism of his arm strength over his career. The problem with having so much air on the ball is two fold:

1. You give the opposing defenders more time to react and therefore make a play on the ball. One example is the Lee Evans throw to the endzone that was knocked out of his hands at the last second (it wasnt a drop). Just a lil too much air on that throw or its a TD...still was a great throw by Trent and I am pretty sure it had that much loft because thats just how Trent threw it as opposed to it having anything to do with his arm. I only used that example as to illustrate a pit faill of too much air on the ball.

2. The QB has to make a quicker decision to air the ball deep because he wont have the angle or velocity to let the ball go in time to hit the WR in stride once he is a certain distance down field. This results in underthrown balls and INTs, passes defended, and your WR getting his bell rung on a big hit.

Both can be overcome (see Joe Montanna for one obvious example), but it just means the QB needs to make up for it on timing and his ability to read the secondary.

Guest dog14787
Of course he can throw the ball 40-50 yards downfield, he is an NFL QB and I seriously doubt there is a single QB in the NFL, including Pennington who cant throw the ball 40-50 yards in the air (hell I can).

The judge of the ability to get the ball down that far is how much air the ball needs to arrive there. Trent tends to use a lot of air to get the ball that far, and thats been the criticism of his arm strength over his career. The problem with having so much air on the ball is two fold:

1. You give the opposing defenders more time to react and therefore make a play on the ball. One example is the Lee Evans throw to the endzone that was knocked out of his hands at the last second (it wasnt a drop). Just a lil too much air on that throw or its a TD...still was a great throw by Trent and I am pretty sure it had that much loft because thats just how Trent threw it as opposed to it having anything to do with his arm. I only used that example as to illustrate a pit faill of too much air on the ball.

2. The QB has to make a quicker decision to air the ball deep because he wont have the angle or velocity to let the ball go in time to hit the WR in stride once he is a certain distance down field. This results in underthrown balls and INTs, passes defended, and your WR getting his bell rung on a big hit.

Both can be overcome (see Joe Montanna for one obvious example), but it just means the QB needs to make up for it on timing and his ability to read the secondary.

:rolleyes:

Still waiting dog...answer the question...

Not responding to anyone laughing at your post but I will throw my 2 cents on Trent at this point.. He isnt gonna be a 300 yard passer with 3 td QB..He will throw for 200- 240 with the 1 or 2 td pass per game maybe and thats were gonna get..If thats not good enuff then they need another qb next yr. At this point he is an average NFL qb nothing more who wont hurt you but wont carry the team on his shoulders. He is what he is and nothing more. Better than what weve had but not the best weve cheered for. He isnt gonna be a Jim Kelly. But maybe he can be a Trent Dilfer.. I really like our OLINE and I like Van Pelt and his play calls a hell of alot better than what weve been put through for the past 11 years.. This team is weak at LB and that will be the downfall..The O will put 20 points up but the d is gonna get wasted as time goes on due to the fact they cant stop anything that ends up in the middle of the field..

Guest dog14787
Not responding to anyone laughing at your post but I will throw my 2 cents on Trent at this point.. He isnt gonna be a 300 yard passer with 3 td QB..He will throw for 200- 240 with the 1 or 2 td pass per game maybe and thats were gonna get..If thats not good enuff then they need another qb next yr. At this point he is an average NFL qb nothing more who wont hurt you but wont carry the team on his shoulders. He is what he is and nothing more. Better than what weve had but not the best weve cheered for. He isnt gonna be a Jim Kelly. But maybe he can be a Trent Dilfer.. I really like our OLINE and I like Van Pelt and his play calls a hell of alot better than what weve been put through for the past 11 years.. This team is weak at LB and that will be the downfall..The O will put 20 points up but the d is gonna get wasted as time goes on due to the fact they cant stop anything that ends up in the middle of the field..

Right, even though TE should already have thrown for 300 yards and 3 TD's if our star WR's catch the balls that bounced off their chest and face mask.

Jim Kelly's highest TD output in a season, he threw for 33 TD's. Trent Edwards at the rate he's going could easily top that this season.

Right, even though TE should already have thrown for 300 yards and 3 TD's if our star WR's catch the balls that bounced off their chest and face mask.

Jim Kelly's highest TD output in a season, he threw for 33 TD's. Trent Edwards at the rate he's going could easily top that this season.

Listen I like Trent alot as a QB but its only because the bar has been set at an unbelievable low for almost 10 yrs, In no way does he compare to Kelly.. He is by far the most average qb we have had since Flutie but in no way does he compare to the level of Jim Kelly..The only advantage he has over Kelly is he is playing now and has an oppurtuntiy to win a Super Bowl. But that is only because he is active now..Lets not get over zealous because he had a good game against the Bucs and To missed a bomb..Kelly missed a few in his day...But he was never called out for not taking a chance downfield...

Guest dog14787
Listen I like Trent alot as a QB but its only because the bar has been set at an unbelievable low for almost 10 yrs, In no way does he compare to Kelly.. He is by far the most average qb we have had since Flutie but in no way does he compare to the level of Jim Kelly..The only advantage he has over Kelly is he is playing now and has an oppurtuntiy to win a Super Bowl. But that is only because he is active now..Lets not get over zealous because he had a good game against the Bucs and To missed a bomb..Kelly missed a few in his day...But he was never called out for not taking a chance downfield...

Folks need to remember Trent Edwards is still a pup. As much as I love Jim Kelly if you compare the two QB's , Trent Edwards is a smarter, more accurate and mobile QB in my opinion. We also have to remember Jim Kelly had a much better supporting cast then TE does and JK didn't have to go up against the best QB that has ever played the game twice a year. If Kelly faced the Patriots of the last decade during his career its very possible the consecutive Superbowl's never even happen.

Folks need to remember Trent Edwards is still a pup. As much as I love Jim Kelly if you compare the two QB's , Trent Edwards is a smarter, more accurate and mobile QB in my opinion. We also have to remember Jim Kelly had a much better supporting cast then TE does and JK didn't have to go up against the best QB that has ever played the game twice a year. If Kelly faced the Patriots of the last decade during his career its very possible the consecutive Superbowl's never even happen.

Jim Kelly faced Marino twice a year...so how does this post even make sense...

And you STILL have not answered my question above...

And on what grounds to claim Trent is smarter and more accurate than Jim Kelly?

Its statements like this that get me caught up in arguing threads. Someone asked (in my thread where I apologized for getting caught up with all the people making outlandish claims about Trent) who makes these claims...well here is one right here. You just not only compared Trent to Kelly (a HOF QB and one of the top 20 all time), but also said he was a smarter and more accurate QB than Kelly...geezus

Guest dog14787
Jim Kelly faced Marino twice a year...so how does this post even make sense...

And you STILL have not answered my question above...

And on what grounds to claim Trent is smarter and more accurate than Jim Kelly?

You...

Something that benefitted Kelly GREATLY before arriving in Buffalo, was the time he had to develop with June Jones and the run and shoot in Houston. He learned how to read defenses very well. Of course the USFL wasn't the NFL but it WAS pro-football none the less. He really wasn't a rookie when he came to Buffalo.

IMO, Edwards still hasn't amassed the QB playing experience that Kelly had already acquired in the USFL, let alone the NFL. And even then it took Jimbo a couple seasons to get acclimated.

GO BILLS!!!

I give him a "D"

All though the pass protection was a "D" as well, and there were some critical penalties that either stopped the Drive or put us in a hole, he just wasn't able to find the open receiver. Grant it, I didn't have the luxary to watch all the plays over and over so I am not sure how open players were, but none the less, the plays weren't made.

The force pass to TO that resulted in a turnover was a bad decision, and we were in field goal range, that really hurt. The missed bomb in the fourth quarter to TO would of been a big play to make and that was another missed opportunity.

I noticed that NO went into a 3-4 formation at times and it seemed as if he struggled to find receivers whenever he was afforded the luxary of time (all though those opportunities were few and far between) to make plays.

I also thought that AVP's game plan didn't seem to be a good one, I would of thought slant patterns would of been wise, as it appeared that plays up the middle were open. Also, what is up with not throwing deep bombs to Lee Evans? I just don't see how we don't take advantage of that. Sure the offensive line was terrible in protection yesterday, but is it Trent who is not deciding to throw it or is it AVP's decision in not dialing up more plays or the line? Either way, we need to throw deep more often.

Never knew we played John Elway twice a year.........the 1990's Bills would have torn this New England team to shreds- they aren't even as good as the Giants team that beat us- this is a mediocre era