Ellison in the middle, Nic Harris at OLB

kbuckley9091

R U cereal? Had his back turned and was chasing Watson down the seem...he was an effing spectator! What game were you watching? The guy is not a starting calliber linebacker on any team in the NFL...accept Buffalo, duh!! :):beer:

Sorry, he was right. Ellison had good positioning on the play. Brady put his throw in an absolutely perfect spot over Watson's shoulder, and he made a fantastic catch.

If anything, Byrd (he's #31, right?) hesitated slightly on the play and wasn't available to provide help. Had ne not hesitated, he might have been in position to break it up.

Sorry, he was right. Ellison had good positioning on the play. Brady put his throw in an absolutely perfect spot over Watson's shoulder, and he made a fantastic catch.

If anything, Byrd (he's #31, right?) hesitated slightly on the play and wasn't available to provide help. Had ne not hesitated, he might have been in position to break it up.

He never saw the ball. Perfect position doesn't matter if you don't locate the ball. I agree the throw was perfectly placed, but Ellison needs to turn his head or stick his hand up where the receivers hands are.

R U cereal? Had his back turned and was chasing Watson down the seem...he was an effing spectator! What game were you watching? The guy is not a starting calliber linebacker on any team in the NFL...accept Buffalo, duh!! :):beer:

Take another look. The coverage was pretty solid on that play. The quality of the throw and catch were insane.

Not saying Ellison deserves to start. Just saying it's hard to blame him on that particular play.

No, I am not cereal. :beer:

He never saw the ball. Perfect position doesn't matter if you don't locate the ball. I agree the throw was perfectly placed, but Ellison needs to turn his head or stick his hand up where the receivers hands are.

Sorry, it doesn't matter if he did see the ball coming. He was in perfect position for the kind of throw that most QBs would make, leading the receiver. Brady threw it behind and above the receiver, in a place nobody except Watson could catch it...and only if Watson made a great catch.

Byrd? What was Byrd doing in the game?

London Fletcher would be nice.

Regardless, what are the objective opinions on Nic Harris? Everyone is really high on him. But, everyone is really high on every rookie. Ellison was supposed to be a "diamond in the rough" after his strong rookie season, but in reality, he wouldn't start on 30 NFL teams.

Nic Harris looks good on tape. He moves around the field well and appears to have a nose for the ball. I imagine he would be good in coverage as a result of his role as a safety. And he comes from a very strong football program where he played against top competition.

But as fans, we cannot keep on believing that all of are problems can be solved by rookies. I guess we have no choice, but veteran depth is needed desperately on our team.

Also,

As a Bills fan, how often do we have to deal with the chickens coming home to roost?

A big criticism of the Bills this offseason (from both fans and media alike) was their failure again to address depth issues at the position of linebacker. We waited until the 5th round of the draft to do this!?!

It is absurd to me that we carry such a small group of linebackers. As of now, only Mitchell would start on other teams. And yea, Kawika has a ring, but he is not a pro bowler. I just don't understand. Are we that cheap? Or just that confident in our rookies?

Hurry back, Poz.

Yep. They have to keep him on the roster - BUF is in the same boat there with many a club through the seasons.

If they eventually pick up a street LB, I wonder who on the current roster gets axed...Offensive player, defensive player, ST player? They already have a decision facing them when Lynch returns.

Also,

As a Bills fan, how often do we have to deal with the chickens coming home to roost?

A big criticism of the Bills this offseason (from both fans and media alike) was their failure again to address depth issues at the position of linebacker. We waited until the 5th round of the draft to do this!?!

It is absurd to me that we carry such a small group of linebackers. As of now, only Mitchell would start on other teams. And yea, Kawika has a ring, but he is not a pro bowler. I just don't understand. Are we that cheap? Or just that confident in our rookies?

Unless the Bills had taken a linebacker in place of Byrd, I have a hard time seeing this as anything other than them simply not being able to improve an area of weakness. None of the FA linebackers impressed me, well, at all, and only one linebacker was taken in the second after Byrd, so I'm not sure if that would've been a good use of the pick or not. Certainly I can't complain about the picks of Maybin, Wood, Levitre, or Nelson.

Byrd? What was Byrd doing in the game?

Beats me, but he was the deep safety on the play. The Pats* effectively froze him for an instant by sending one receiver short in front of him, in addition to sending Watson deep. Byrd couldn't tell which receiver Brady was throwing to, so he ended up hesitating for an instant -- enough to leave a gap for the ball to get through.

I remember seeing his number a few times in the game, but I don't know why he was on the field for the final drive.