Decade of Fail

May Day 10

What the hell is with this "fail" thing I keep seeing? I don't get it, nor do I find it funny. No self-respecting Bills fan would wear that shirt. Do you know who the two worst teams in the league were between about 1987 and about 1994? The Colts and the Patriots. Get over yourselves and back your team.

What the hell is with this "fail" thing I keep seeing? I don't get it, nor do I find it funny. No self-respecting Bills fan would wear that shirt. Do you know who the two worst teams in the league were between about 1987 and about 1994? The Colts and the Patriots. Get over yourselves and back your team.

Who was the worse team in the NFL for the entire decade we are wrapping up now? Oh yea, we were!

While the term fail may be harsh please tell me over that span of years how you seem to want to believe the Bills have been successful? I am getting very tired of this notion that being a "fan" equals acceptance of marginal results on the field. I can agree that being a fan means remaining hopeful that the situation will turn around. However, the bottom line is nine years without making the playoffs (much less winning in the playoffs) hardly equates to success.

If you want to cheer for moral victories or for the pattern of three steps forward then three back (equaling zero progress) then go ahead. IMO no self respecting fan would accept these results for the next decade.

Who was the worse team in the NFL for the entire decade we are wrapping up now? Oh yea, we were!

No. Lions. They went 29-115 (0.203) with no playoff appearances. We were 60-84 (0.417) with no playoff appearances. The Texans are making a solid case. They started in 2002, but they are 40-72 (0.357) with no playoff appearances.

Team records for teams below 0.500 (2000-2008):

Lions 29-115, no playoff appearances

Texans 40-72, no playoff appearances (2002-2008)

Cardinals 52-92, one playoff appearance

Browns 52-92, one playoff appearance

Raiders 57-87, three playoff appearances

Bengals 58-85-1, one playoff appearance

Bills 60-84, no playoff appearances

49ers 60-84, two playoff appearances

Chiefs 66-78, two playoff appearances

Falcons 66-77-1, three playoff appearances

Panthers 71-73, three playoff appearances

Cowboys 71-73, three playoff appearances

While the term fail may be harsh please tell me over that span of years how you seem to want to believe the Bills have been successful? I am getting very tired of this notion that being a "fan" equals acceptance of marginal results on the field. I can agree that being a fan means remaining hopeful that the situation will turn around. However, the bottom line is nine years without making the playoffs (much less winning in the playoffs) hardly equates to success.

If you want to cheer for moral victories or for the pattern of three steps forward then three back (equaling zero progress) then go ahead. IMO no self respecting fan would accept these results for the next decade.

If my Dad had a drinking problem, I would not accept it and say, "he's my Dad, I love him no matter what, keep drinking Dad." However, I also would not wear a shirt around town that says, "look at my Dad, what a loser."

If my Dad had a drinking problem, I would not accept it and say, "he's my Dad, I love him no matter what, keep drinking Dad." However, I also would not wear a shirt around town that says, "look at my Dad, what a loser."

I agree that calling your dad a "loser" for a drinking problem is not acceptable but that is hardly the same situation. Calling an organization out for a decade of mismanagement, poor coaching and lack of acceptable results is in no way the same.

My response is broader than a t-shirt. For what it is worth, I would not wear it either. My response refers to the attitide displayed across many of your posts. You continue to clearly indicate that being a fan calls for support of the team without regard to their results on the field. I do not and will not support this notion. Doing so is a backwards way to condone your dad's drinking (to borrow your idea). Yeah you should not wear a shirt thaht says dad is a loser nor should you wear one saying dad I'll accept your drinking habit just because I am your biggest "fan."

No. Lions. They went 29-115 (0.203) with no playoff appearances. We were 60-84 (0.417) with no playoff appearances. The Texans are making a solid case. They started in 2002, but they are 40-72 (0.357) with no playoff appearances.

Team records for teams below 0.500 (2000-2008):

Lions 29-115, no playoff appearances

Texans 40-72, no playoff appearances (2002-2008)

Cardinals 52-92, one playoff appearance

Browns 52-92, one playoff appearance

Raiders 57-87, three playoff appearances

Bengals 58-85-1, one playoff appearance

Bills 60-84, no playoff appearances

49ers 60-84, two playoff appearances

Chiefs 66-78, two playoff appearances

Falcons 66-77-1, three playoff appearances

Panthers 71-73, three playoff appearances

Cowboys 71-73, three playoff appearances

Oh I am sorry, you were right, we were overly successful for the past 10 years. My bad dude.

Never said that, dude. You made a statement that was wrong. Deal with it.

Pasted from dictionary.com:

sar⋅casm  /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA

Use sarcasm in a Sentence

See web results for sarcasm

See images of sarcasm

–noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

Pasted from dictionary.com:

sar⋅casm  /ˈsɑrkæzəm/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA

Use sarcasm in a Sentence

See web results for sarcasm

See images of sarcasm

–noun 1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

wrong

  /rɔŋ, rɒŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rawng, rong] Show IPA

Use wrong in a Sentence

See web results for wrong

See images of wrong

–adjective

1. not in accordance with what is morally right or good: a wrong deed.

2. deviating from truth or fact; erroneous: a wrong answer.

3. not correct in action, judgment, opinion, method, etc., as a person; in error: You are wrong to blame him.

4. not proper or usual; not in accordance with requirements or recommended practice: the wrong way to hold a golf club.

5. out of order; awry; amiss: Something is wrong with the machine.

6. not suitable or appropriate: He always says the wrong thing.

7. (of clothing) that should be worn or kept inward or under: You're wearing the sweater wrong side out.

–noun

8. that which is wrong, or not in accordance with morality, goodness, or truth; evil: I committed many wrongs.

9. an injustice: The wrongs they suffered aged them.

10. Law.

a. an invasion of another's right, to his damage.

b. a tort.

–adverb

11. in a wrong manner; not rightly; awry; amiss: You did it wrong again.

–verb (used with object)

12. to do wrong to; treat unfairly or unjustly; harm.

13. to impute evil to (someone) unjustly; malign.

—Idioms

14. get in wrong, Slang. to cause to come into disfavor: We are forever getting in wrong with the people next door.

15. go wrong,

a. to go amiss; fail: Everything is going wrong today.

b. to pursue an immoral course; become depraved: Bad friends caused him to go wrong.

16. in the wrong, to blame; in error: He knew he was in the wrong but refused to concede the point.

Origin:

bef. 1100; (adj.) ME wrong, wrang, OE wrang, perh. < ODan wrang; cf. Dan vrang wrong, ON rangr awry; (v. and adv.) ME, deriv. of the adj.; (n.) ME; OE wrang, deriv. of the adj.; akin to wring

This is fun. :thumbsup:

I agree that calling your dad a "loser" for a drinking problem is not acceptable but that is hardly the same situation. Calling an organization out for a decade of mismanagement, poor coaching and lack of acceptable results is in no way the same.

My response is broader than a t-shirt. For what it is worth, I would not wear it either. My response refers to the attitide displayed across many of your posts. You continue to clearly indicate that being a fan calls for support of the team without regard to their results on the field. I do not and will not support this notion. Doing so is a backwards way to condone your dad's drinking (to borrow your idea). Yeah you should not wear a shirt thaht says dad is a loser nor should you wear one saying dad I'll accept your drinking habit just because I am your biggest "fan."

Dude, you're reading into it too much. Am I tired of losing? Of course. That dude on your avatar went through plenty of losing seasons himself. Yet, why would you (I know you said you wouldn't anyway) wear a shirt that basically says, "my team sucks?" Conversely, if the Patriots suck again for ten years straight, I would maybe want to wear a shirt alluding to the extent of their futility- not my own team! Gotta put things in perspective- the Bills have made the playoffs ten of the last 21 seasons going into this season. We are not the Lions, we are not the Clippers, we are not the Cubs, and yes people, Ralph Wilson does care about winning. Can't wait for Sunday, Go Bills!