If I were Dick Jauron I would have A LOT of ammunition...

1billsfan

...and I mean A LOT, for tonight's pregame speech. I could flat out tell everyone in that visitor locker room that there's not one person, except your mommas, that believe that you will beat the Patriots tonight. I could tell Trent and TO that everyone's laughing at them saying there's no way they can outperform Brady and Moss. I could tell the defense that the Patriots rubbed it in their faces when they last met Brady with them running up the score. I could tell them that everyone outside this room thinks everyone inside this room is a joke.

THIS is the speech that a REAL head coach would deliver in this precarious situation. Football has much to do with psychology and you must use everything at your disposal when given the chance. Sadly, I don't see Mr. Jauron delivering a speech like that. I think he would feel that it was beneath him to try and muster up "fake" anger. My point is that this where he'd be wrong, because I would have some "real" anger and be fired up to defend every last guy in that room after hearing something like that. Because it is all true. Do it Dick, be a real coach and give them that speech tonight baby.

...and I mean A LOT, for tonight's pregame speech. I could flat out tell everyone in that visitor locker room that there's not one person, except your mommas, that believe that you will beat the Patriots tonight. I could tell Trent and TO that everyone's laughing at them saying there's no way they can outperform Brady and Moss. I could tell the defense that the Patriots rubbed it in their faces when they last met Brady with them running up the score. I could tell them that everyone outside this room thinks everyone inside this room is a joke.

THIS is the speech that a REAL head coach would deliver in this precarious situation. Football has much to do with psychology and you must use everything at your disposal when given the chance. Sadly, I don't see Mr. Jauron delivering a speech like that. I think he would feel that it was beneath him to try and muster up "fake" anger. My point is that this where he'd be wrong, because I would have some "real" anger and be fired up to defend every last guy in that room after hearing something like that. Because it is all true. Do it Dick, be a real coach and give them that speech tonight baby.

I really don't think that pregame speeches make that big a difference in the way one plays. Sure, in the movies they look all rah-rah and inspirational but that's not how it is in real life. 5 minutes after the "pump-up" speech, the players have forgotten much of what the head coach said, and are just thinking about assignments and plays prior to kickoff. Also, telling the team that everyone thinks they're a joke is going to do nothing. They already know this, they don't need a coach to tell them before the game. If you're going to have a speech before the game, do it a few days before, let it soak in and reiderate(sp?) the message before the game. That's the way Marv approached it, whether it worked or not it sounds better than, "Let's knock their f*cking heads off!" an hour before the game.

Fine...whatever...I think the guys in the locker room know this already. :thumbsup:

Dick can go into "Us v. The World" mode after: He tells the D how they are going to stop Brady to Moss and tells the O how they are going to protect Edwards, control the pace of the game and score enough points to win. Give them a winning game plan that they can execute. Wow, what a concept.

This team has never been prepared to take on the Pats*. If this pattern is repeated then all the spirited blather in the world won't change a thing.

I really don't think that pregame speeches make that big a difference in the way one plays. Sure, in the movies they look all rah-rah and inspirational but that's not how it is in real life. 5 minutes after the "pump-up" speech, the players have forgotten much of what the head coach said, and are just thinking about assignments and plays prior to kickoff. Also, telling the team that everyone thinks they're a joke is going to do nothing. They already know this, they don't need a coach to tell them before the game. If you're going to have a speech before the game, do it a few days before, let it soak in and reiderate(sp?) the message before the game. That's the way Marv approached it, whether it worked or not it sounds better than, "Let's knock their f*cking heads off!" an hour before the game.

I agree that in general pregame speeches don't make any difference. Except in circumstances like this when the team is about to play their first game of the season in front of a nationally televised Monday Night Football audience. My feelings are that the players would be far more receptive to hearing and amping themselves up to such harsh truisms coming from their head coach.

And you know what? Guaranteed Bill Belichick would use it as motivation if the tables were turned (of course that would exist in some bizarroland parallel universe). When you have the ammo and the opportunity, you don't keep your powder dry.

Jaurons Speech:

Let's keep the uniforms as clean as possible, try not to get any scuffs on the shiny new helmets. Lets thank the team moms for cooking the pre-game meal. Win, lose or draw you are all special people in my book.

And orange slices and juice boxes at half time.

"It's gonna be hard tonight, guys. It's gonna be hard. Really tough. But you need to go out there regardless and do what you can, and we'll look at the film on Wednesday."

Dude, I laugh every time I read fake Dick Jauron quotes. I still can't believe that a fiery, lust for life guy like Marv Levy hired an emotionless guy like Dick Jauron. Good luck to the Bills tonight, they're going to need it.

Yes, pregame speeches likely make little difference in how a team actually plays. Sometimes it is psychological and football is a sport where its good to maintain a certain balance of energy & emotion. That being said, its unlikely that any coach would ever tell his players that people thought they were a "joke". A good coach would put it in the context of nobody believing in them.

Jauron is not that type of coach. Its more likely that they have some type of synergy team-building exercise in the locker room prior to kickoff. DJ should coach women's basketball or doubles croquet, not NFL football. Certainly not the BUFFALO BILLS. We already knew this though, so we can only do what any good BILLS fan would do here, have faith.

That being said. Here is the Pacino speech:

Yes, pregame speeches likely make little difference in how a team actually plays. Sometimes it is psychological and football is a sport where its good to maintain a certain balance of energy & emotion. That being said, its unlikely that any coach would ever tell his players that people thought they were a "joke". A good coach would put it in the context of nobody believing in them.

Bill Parcells would routinely tell his players this type of stuff. In fact, he'd tell them that that's what HE thought about them! Parcells knew that all players had buttons and the ones he pushed the most were of the "they're questioning your manhood...you gonna take that?" variety. The thing is that this stuff still worked when the Giants were a dominating team!

NOBODY thinks this team will beat the Pats. Not even the biggest homer in the world thinks that will happen tonight. So Jauron would be stating fact if he indeed ever mentions it before the game. I would use it to my full advantage because in the end these are professionals, they do not want to hear such disrespectful (and truthful) things said especially as a group.

when the 49ers were cracking yesterday, Singletary called time out and went out onto the field with the entire defense, huddled with them and got them going again.. they won the game. very instructional...