big difference between nhl players and other pro sports

loyal2dagame

from the buffalo news:

"I think if we can start the way we started last year and maintain that level, he'll be an elite player," Ruff said. "I'll put him in a position where he'll get the elite ice time, and he's just got to give us the elite play."

The 25-year-old has zero problems with that.

"I'm ready for it," Vanek said. "I'm prepared for it. If it happens, great. If not, you just shut your mouth and keep working hard."

i'd love to see mlb'ers and nfl'ers take this approach as most of the players in the nhl act/play this way.

nba'ers are just a lost cause for the most part.

from the buffalo news:

"I think if we can start the way we started last year and maintain that level, he'll be an elite player," Ruff said. "I'll put him in a position where he'll get the elite ice time, and he's just got to give us the elite play."

"I'm ready for it," Vanek said. "I'm prepared for it. If it happens, great. If not, you just shut your mouth and keep working hard."

i'd love to see mlb'ers and nfl'ers take this approach as most of the players in the nhl act/play this way.

In my opinion the NFL players are at least as bad as NBA players as far as being prima donnas is concerned. With the overinflated salaries for a 16 game season and the fan boys worshiping them it's no wonder. Hockey players are not in the same league money wise (particularly on a per game basis) or get the hero worship to the degree NFL or NBA players do, or they might act more the same way. But generally hockey players seem to realize that they are lucky to be able to do what they do for a living. Whereas football players tend to believe we the fans are the lucky ones for being able to give them all the money and fame.

from the buffalo news:

If no one cares about your sport, how can you be cocky? And 90% of the guys in baseball. football, & basketball are good guys. It's the 10% that do dumb stuff that the media (and apparently yourself) focus on.

It's no big secret that NHL players are head-and-shoulders classier than the fecal matter you find in the NBA and the NFL. No contest, and that's probably why I haven't watched an NBA game in years, and now have only a casual interest in the NFL.

Go Sabres!

You right because there hasn't been a murder plot by one of its players, on ice assaults with sticks, a guy getting paralzyed by getting jumped from behind in the NHL. :thumbsup:

And this thing about the NBA is largely a myth based on dumb racial sterotypes. Who ar the thugs and problem childs in the NBA? Fact is that despite what you think, the NBA is filled with 95% good guys.

Fact is, I didn't ask for your opinion. Do you honestly think that I care if you tell me that 95% of the guys in the NBA and NFL are swell people who love puppies and help old ladies across the street? Save your "one bad apple" speech for someone who cares what you think, because I certainly don't.

That's why you're posting it on a message board right? You're an idiot and your avatar sums up your opinions quite well.

That's why you're posting it on a message board right? You're an idiot and your avatar sums up your opinions quite well.

Still not caring, but thanks for playing. If I comment here it's because I have an opinion on the subject, but if you want me to think differently because, well, because you think differently, I assure you that you will fail. In fact, you just did.

If no one cares about your sport, how can you be cocky? And 90% of the guys in baseball. football, & basketball are good guys. It's the 10% that do dumb stuff that the media (and apparently yourself) focus on.

way to be off on your response as it relates to my first post.

i'm talking about a player doing what the team needs him to do regardless of if he likes it or not and not crying about it.

from the buffalo news:

Donte Whitner...

It's no big secret that NHL players are head-and-shoulders classier than the fecal matter you find in the NBA and the NFL. No contest, and that's probably why I haven't watched an NBA game in years, and now have only a casual interest in the NFL.

Go Sabres!

You are correct. My friends and I talk about this all the time. While this might not be PC, I think the difference is because hockey players tend to be more middle and upper class, while a lot of the great NFL and NBA players tend to be from lower socio-economic classes. In other words, the average sports fan can relate a lot better to a guy like Sidney Crosby--kid from a middle-class family who watches TV and hangs out with his friends and family on the weekend-- than a guy like PacMan Jones--who makes it rain at strip clubs and has six hot-tubs in his house because he has no idea what to do when someone cuts him a $1 million check.

You are correct. My friends and I talk about this all the time. While this might not be PC, I think the difference is because hockey players tend to be more middle and upper class, while a lot of the great NFL and NBA players tend to be from lower socio-economic classes. In other words, the average sports fan can relate a lot better to a guy like Sidney Crosby--kid from a middle-class family who watches TV and hangs out with his friends and family on the weekend-- than a guy like PacMan Jones--who makes it rain at strip clubs and has six hot-tubs in his house because he has no idea what to do when someone cuts him a $1 million check.

:thumbsup:

When I see players interviewed in the media looking like pimps, talking like ignorant thugs who can't put two words together, openly bragging like they are virtually immortal, whining if they don't get enough balls thrown their way or enough carries, and making on field displays of primitive, taunting selfishness by doing a f-cking dance after every 5 yard reception, you know there's a problem.

I just tune them out. It's so prevalent it's disgusting. No class, no sportsmanship, nothing but a goddamn Ochosinco/TO infested league of trash talking punks that make me want to puke.

Meanwhile, in the NHL a single player talks a little trash in the media, Sean Avery, and is suspended for 50 games and cut from his team for being a cancer and an embarrassment. Maybe all the hip-hop culture Kanye West fans will flock to this sh-t, and good for them, but it ain't for me.

GO SABRES!

I agree with what you're saying generally speaking (especially re basketball, which is subject to a ton of misconceptions in Buffalo because not many people there seem to actually follow it), but I strongly believe that the NFL is loaded with guys who would be in jail if not for the NFL. As far as I'm concerned, you basically have to possess pretty strong sociopathic tendencies to want to play NFL football (much less succeed at it). It's a violent, violent game that makes the NHL look like croquet in comparison.

Fact is, I didn't ask for your opinion. Do you honestly think that I care if you tell me that 95% of the guys in the NBA and NFL are swell people who love puppies and help old ladies across the street? Save your "one bad apple" speech for someone who cares what you think, because I certainly don't.

who asked you for your opinion?