There is something so strange about this board

Tcali

-Year after year, you see the other teams around us getting better. Look no further than the AFC East. The Dolphins and Jets combined for 5 wins in '07. They followed up '07 by combining for 20 wins in '08! The Bills have won 7 games 3 years in a row. Not to mention that we haven't made the playoffs in a decade.

-My breaking point came during the '07 season which was the year that made my group give up our season tickets (7 years). The Broncos (The Drive and kick), Dallas (Do I have to remind you?"), New England (The massacre at home), Cleveland (Trent exposed in the cold), Giants (Trent exposed in the cold II). Those games were so hard on me, not because of the losses but the way we lost. Heartbreaking, embarrassing and uninspired losses that took a toll on my season ticket crew. The Bills lost 8 season ticket holders that year.

-Dick Jauron. Is there a more uninspiring football coach? Watch a Joe Pa pep rally. If you watched Hard Knocks and saw the way M Lewis talked to his team and the respect that he gets it amazed me. Here is a guy who has been a huge dissapointment but his players are still on board and want to win for him. DJ puts you to sleep with his rambling press conferences. Blows your mind with his gameday decisions. Angers you with his indecisivness. He is a loser and he has ripped the optimism out of me. If he is at the helm, I know the Bills will be mediocre.

-"The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come." -Peter Ustinov

I am very optomistic when it comes to my daily life, when it comes to the Bills Ustinov's quote nails it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a member for some years...a reader for longer than that, but I have seen the usual influx of idiots the past two months or so, spewing the same tired hate they always have. That being said, the events of the the past week have me, the eternal optimist, just a bit worried as well... :pirate:

Well said. It's mostly the same bashers every year, just take note of the names. Although a few more than usual have been drawn to the dark side this year. I am usually the eternal optimist as well, but I am concerned about the year. I actually think they are slightly better team than last year, but is slightly better enough? The schedule on paper is tougher and I have no confidence in the coaching staff (although I do like the AVP move, but the timing sucked), so for those reasons I am a more than a bit worried....GO BILLS!!!

the botton line is that when a team selects the wrong QB in the 1st round, it sets them back many years. When you look at Buffalo not only selecting Losman, but giving away another pick to get him. You have to say that we are still feeling the effects from that decision. Going forward, we will know this year of Trent Edwards is the man for the job or not. There is good first round talent at the QB position for the 2010 draft. The talent evaluators will have to get it right this time.

Well said. It's mostly the same bashers every year, just take note of the names. Although a few more than usual have been drawn to the dark side this year. I am usually the eternal optimist as well, but I am concerned about the year. I actually think they are slightly better team than last year, but is slightly better enough? The schedule on paper is tougher and I have no confidence in the coaching staff (although I do like the AVP move, but the timing sucked), so for those reasons I am a more than a bit worried....GO BILLS!!!

What do you two expect? You two would've been perfect Enron employees; eyes closed, mouths shut, march on! It's all there in front of you fellas, the NFL and media view this organization as a joke. Why? Because we are! Look at our front office, we don't even know who runs the team! Look at our coach! You guys have battered wife syndrome! It's not that the naysayers are not fans, we are realists who deal with reality. If you want to walk into work every Monday morning with a black eye and a smile thats fine, but don't tell us we're wrong because we are sick and tired of it.

What do you two expect? You two would've been perfect Enron employees; eyes closed, mouths shut, march on! It's all there in front of you fellas, the NFL and media view this organization as a joke. Why? Because we are! Look at our front office, we don't even know who runs the team! Look at our coach! You guys have battered wife syndrome! It's not that the naysayers are not fans, we are realists who deal with reality. If you want to walk into work every Monday morning with a black eye and a smile thats fine, but don't tell us we're wrong because we are sick and tired of it.

I said I have no faith in the coaching staff, I just don't come across as a whiner like most on this board...

this year.In its attitude. Not exactly sure how to describe it....-But will give it a go.

Chaotic and unstable come to mind...with some deeply ingrained pessimism where there normally is(false) optimism.

Could this be the culmination of one possibly failing regime piled on top of another failed regime??(5 yrs of Donahoe + 5 more years coming up of Levy/Jauron/JP/Dockery/walker/Kelsay/).I think even the ever optimistic'its a new day' Bills fan may have been pushed beyond that 'point'.

Simple drudgery-like mediocrity is easier to deal with.That would have occurred if we kept Walker,kept JP, with Trent going 20 for 26 for 101 yards and no touchdowns .

But we picked up TO,traded JP,had a good draft I think, the offense was horrible instead of mediocre in the preseason,,and we started cutting and firing people at the last minute on top of it. A real mishmash.Lots of bad lots of good lots of we don't know.

For the first time in a while I think this team won't be mediocre.---

I think that you are on to someting, I do not belive that they will be mediocre either, they are either going to

be really good, or really bad, no 7-9 this season. I have been a fairly regular board particpant and observer

for enough time now to see the change in the fans attitude, and I myself, feel the same way, I would like to call

it guarded optimism, but that would be a stretch.

Around this time of year, I am usually so pumped for the first game of the year, and I just don't have that feeling

this year, hell, I might not even watch it. Of course if they come out smokin, and are even mildly competitive, I will be

right back on the wagon, or at least circling it. Go Bills

Not sure if thats a shot at me but I'm fine with that. :pirate:<---Eventually when you do this every Fall Sunday you will shed a tear.

Not a shot at you per say, but aimed at those that whine and B word all the time about fire him, cut him, yada, yada, yada. It just doesn't do any good to get all worked up and gets old and annoying. And yes I have been bashing my head in on too many fall Sundays being a season ticket holder for many years. But since I've gotten a little older and a wee bit wiser, I have come to realize that win or lose, I still usually have to go to work the next day, so I try not to let it affect me as much as it used to. And when I do get to work and read TSW, I don't want to deal with whiny B word's. I am an optimist when it comes to the Bills and this is the worse feeling I have had about them in many years, I just don't start 30 threads on the same topic and bash others that disagree with me...

My prediction is you will watch, as we all will :pirate:

Your right Monkey Man, but it is tempting to just go about my business, and pay it no attention,

with the hopes of my Son running out to the garage, and proclaiming, Dad, you won't belive

it, but the Bills are up 14-0 at halftime. Somehow, I don't think this happens if I am watching.

I am a tortured soul. It's sounds crazy, I know, but I always get this unrealistic expectation, that

they will somehow do better if I am not watching them, although, it is very hard to do that.

sh--, I have a hard time walking away from the imaginary field and moving helmets that NFL.com

uses on Gameday page, when I can't get the game on TV.

Not a shot at you per say, but aimed at those that whine and B word all the time about fire him, cut him, yada, yada, yada. It just doesn't do any good to get all worked up and gets old and annoying. And yes I have been bashing my head in on too many fall Sundays being a season ticket holder for many years. But since I've gotten a little older and a wee bit wiser, I have come to realize that win or lose, I still usually have to go to work the next day, so I try not to let it affect me as much as it used to. And when I do get to work and read TSW, I don't want to deal with whiny B word's. I am an optimist when it comes to the Bills and this is the worse feeling I have had about them in many years, I just don't start 30 threads on the same topic and bash others that disagree with me...

It's great to be an optomist. What exactly are you optomistic about? The offense? The Defense? The coaching staff? The punter?

It's great to be an optomist. What exactly are you optomistic about? The offense? The Defense? The coaching staff? The punter?

Um, I wrote this is the worse feeling I have had regarding the Bills in many years, so.....

Plus being optimitic was and 8-8 prediction that past couple years...

Fool me once shame on you

Fool me twice and shame on me.

Along those lines, I have now vowed to sell me tickets when the Bills have been officially eliminated from playoff contention. (insert your "so you're selling your tickets to the opener" jokes here.) I sat through 3 quarters of the Giants game last year in sh-- weather and said WTF am I doing here! So, I sold my NE tickets the next week. So, anyone interested in late season games (should the Bills not be in contention :pirate: ), let me know. Front row enzone seats...

What makes it slightly easier for me is that I'm a Yankees fan (went to the game last night and saw Jeter tie Gehrig's record!), but being a fan of that team also puts the Bills' situation in stark relief. The Yankees expect to win, try to win, and do win. Yes, having a ton of money helps, but their owner really doesn't penny pinch -- he's willing to spend whatever it takes to win. The Bills are so different. They don't expect to win, they do try to win, and they don't win. Clearly, success in the NFL derives from the coach and front office, yet the owner refuses to spend money on them. It's such an obvious flaw, which is why it's baffling. I mean, spend seven million a year on a GM instead of Derrick Freaking Dockery. How hard is that to understand?

What makes it slightly easier for me is that I'm a Yankees fan (went to the game last night and saw Jeter tie Gehrig's record!), but being a fan of that team also puts the Bills' situation in stark relief. The Yankees expect to win, try to win, and do win. Yes, having a ton of money helps, but their owner really doesn't penny pinch -- he's willing to spend whatever it takes to win. The Bills are so different. They don't expect to win, they do try to win, and they don't win. Clearly, success in the NFL derives from the coach and front office, yet the owner refuses to spend money on them. It's such an obvious flaw, which is why it's baffling. I mean, spend seven million a year on a GM instead of Derrick Freaking Dockery. How hard is that to understand?

But it took a long time under Steinbrenner's tenure to recognize that quality operating management and scouting are more important than spending money on top FAs. That and the fact that Steinbrenner can afford cutting ties with a mistake, as he's had a longer history of signing the Derrick Dockerys than Ralph Wilson.