Jermaine Gresham out for season.

Once again, the question is raised...should he have come out this past year, since he was projected to go so high?

Will this make him tremendously fall in the 2010 Draft...or does he get a redshirt season? How does that work?

If he falls to the Bills...say in Rd. #2 or #3, do we take him? Nelson and Gresham? VERY NICE TE DUO!

if you get gresham in the 2nd or 3rd round you dont think twice if you are the Bills IMO

Then again...look at our front office and what they have been doing! LOL

I agree though. I would trade back into the end of the 1st to get him...given he comes back 100%.

He is who I wanted most this year in the draft...before he decided to stay. (Except Lawrence Sidbury)

EDIT: And Maybin, I really like him and have since last season. But it is mostly because I am a PSU fan.

Once again, the question is raised...should he have come out this past year, since he was projected to go so high?

Will this make him tremendously fall in the 2010 Draft...or does he get a redshirt season? How does that work?

If he falls to the Bills...say in Rd. #2 or #3, do we take him? Nelson and Gresham? VERY NICE TE DUO!

I don't understand the "This player or that player should have stayed in school" mentality. I'd be willing to bet that most people would leave college in their junior year if they were offered a job for millions of dollars, especially when there were high risks with staying for your senior year. If a player wants a degree he can always go back to school. JMO

With Gresham being out for the season, he has two options. Go into the 2010 Draft or apply for a medical hardship redshirt from the NCAA.

NCAA Medical Hardship eligibility rules:

Though often called a "medical redshirt" by sportswriters and sportscasters, the actual term is a "medical hardship waiver". The concept goes like this: Every student-athlete who meets the minimum academic standards coming out of high school gets four season of NCAA Division I Competition eligibility in each sport.

If a student-athlete is injured during a season and cannot return to competition, he or she may qualify for another opportunity to utilize that season of competitive eligibility.

To receive a medical hardship waiver - in any sport - the injury must limit the student-athlete’s participation to no more than 20 percent of the team’s contests (rounded to the next whole number), with all participation occurring in the first half of the season.

Therefore, for a football player, the maximum number of games that he can play in and still receive a medical hardship waiver is three (20 percent of 11 equals 2.2, which is rounded up to 3), and none of his time on the field can occur after the fifth game (the sixth game of an eleven game season is considered in the second half of the season).

In the case of a 12 game regular season (ie. Virginia Tech's 2000 home schedule), none of the player's time on the field can occur after the sixth game. The seventh game of a 12 game season is considered in the second half of the season.

I don't understand the "This player or that player should have stayed in school" mentality. I'd be willing to bet that most people would leave college in their junior year if they were offered a job for millions of dollars, especially when there were high risks with staying for your senior year. If a player wants a degree he can always go back to school. JMO

I agree...I think an athlete should enter his/her draft as soon as they can, given they are projected to go high enough. In this case, Gresham AND Bradford were projected as HIGH (TOP 10) draft picks...and now look at them both.

With Gresham being out for the season, he has two options. Go into the 2010 Draft or apply for a medical hardship redshirt from the NCAA.

NCAA Medical Hardship eligibility rules:

Though often called a "medical redshirt" by sportswriters and sportscasters, the actual term is a "medical hardship waiver". The concept goes like this: Every student-athlete who meets the minimum academic standards coming out of high school gets four season of NCAA Division I Competition eligibility in each sport.

If a student-athlete is injured during a season and cannot return to competition, he or she may qualify for another opportunity to utilize that season of competitive eligibility.

To receive a medical hardship waiver - in any sport - the injury must limit the student-athlete’s participation to no more than 20 percent of the team’s contests (rounded to the next whole number), with all participation occurring in the first half of the season.

Therefore, for a football player, the maximum number of games that he can play in and still receive a medical hardship waiver is three (20 percent of 11 equals 2.2, which is rounded up to 3), and none of his time on the field can occur after the fifth game (the sixth game of an eleven game season is considered in the second half of the season).

In the case of a 12 game regular season (ie. Virginia Tech's 2000 home schedule), none of the player's time on the field can occur after the sixth game. The seventh game of a 12 game season is considered in the second half of the season.

Very well put and insightful information. Thank you WVU.

Agree 100%. He was the top TE, which would make him a first round pick. Bradford would have been top 5 (taken before Sanchez, maybe even Stafford). What else does he have to gain? I will bet that there is a rookie cap in the new CBA, which mean the both of these kids lose out on MILLIONS even without the injuries. Add in the injuries, and their college degrees will have cost them millions of dollars.

Screw the redshirt. The OL in Norman is worse than even Buffalo's. I PRAY Bradford consults Dr. James Andrews before letting that moron Stoops pressure him into coming back. One more hit like he had and that Grade II becomes a Grade IV which is manditory surgery and a long recovery/rehab period.

If I were Bradford I would sit, rehab and hit the draft. The kid has done his part in Norman.

As for as Gresham, just go pro. He will be more than 100% by the combine, put up great numbers and last years film stands on it's own merrit. He will still be a top 15 pick.

Screw the redshirt. The OL in Norman is worse than even Buffalo's. I PRAY Bradford consults Dr. James Andrews before letting that moron Stoops pressure him into coming back. One more hit like he had and that Grade II becomes a Grade IV which is manditory surgery and a long recovery/rehab period.

If I were Bradford I would sit, rehab and hit the draft. The kid has done his part in Norman.

As for as Gresham, just go pro. He will be more than 100% by the combine, put up great numbers and last years film stands on it's own merrit. He will still be a top 15 pick.

Tough few weeks, huh? Still, had the OU defense had a clue down the stretch and had the O line learned to block someone, they may still have pulled that one out vs BYU.

I couldn't agree more. It's your life, if you can cash in, then cash in when you can. Financial security is a major life goal for most, if you can do it at an early age I say go for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting an education, in fact I'll be going for my masters next semester but school is not for everyone...