Car broken into in Indianapolis

Phlegm Alley

I was in Indy this past weekend, and my girlfriend's car was broken into. The thieves smashed the back window and removed a number of different items, including my MacBook, a BOSE sound dock, a couple of iPods and a video camera. We filed a report with the police who came and documented everything with pictures, dusting for fingerprints, to asking us what was stolen. My girlfriend then talked to her insurance representative and he said that she needs to make out an itemized list of all items that were stolen because they should be covered by her homeowners insurance.

The cop who filled out the police report asked us how much everything was worth and in doing so, I believe I undershot the value of some of the items involved. Would it be uncouth to call the cop back up (she gave us a phone number to call in case we forgot anything that turned up missing) and adjust some of the estimated costs for the items that were stolen?

Also, to anyone who has had a similar incident occur to the them, are there any tips or advice pertaining to filing a claim with the insurance company?

Thanks in advance.

So these items were all left out in view of anyone looking in the windows?

No sir. We couldn't check into our hotel room until 3pm so we parked in an above ground parking lot around Noon that you had to pay to get into and then display the reciept on your dash. The parking lot seemed safe enough-it was bordered by a main street, we parked across from an unoccupied cop car, and in a location where there was a lot of foot traffic. We also covered all belongings in the back of the my girlfriends Ford Explorer with blankets to make sure that none of our items were displayed out in the open.

Her homeowner's insurance will cover the cost of the stolen items.

The cop report is perfunctory.

It's the insurance company's claims department that you need to deal with.

I had a similar experience - but my hotel room was robbed.

The hotel is not responsible and the police not very helpful - in a situation like this.

Her homeowner's insurance will cover the cost of the stolen items.

The cop report is perfunctory.

It's the insurance company's claims department that you need to deal with.

I had a similar experience - but my hotel room was robbed.

The hotel is not responsible and the police not very helpful - in a situation like this.

Did you have to provide reciepts for the items that were stolen? Unfortunately, my laptop was a gift as was my g/f's sound dock and after talking to the people that purchased the gifts for us, there are no reciepts available.

is there surveillance video?

No sir. We couldn't check into our hotel room until 3pm so we parked in an above ground parking lot around Noon that you had to pay to get into and then display the reciept on your dash. The parking lot seemed safe enough-it was bordered by a main street, we parked across from an unoccupied cop car, and in a location where there was a lot of foot traffic. We also covered all belongings in the back of the my girlfriends Ford Explorer with blankets to make sure that none of our items were displayed out in the open.

Did you have to provide reciepts for the items that were stolen? Unfortunately, my laptop was a gift as was my g/f's sound dock and after talking to the people that purchased the gifts for us, there are no reciepts available.

No doubt you registered the Mac with Apple.

You likely have photos of much of the stuff.

Don't know what the insurance company will require.

They're all different.

Good luck.

The auto insurance will cover none of the possessions inside. Cop was right to say contact homeowners. She should check to see if she has full glass coverage to see about getting that window fixed.

At least it was a Macbook. Had it been a PC, you would have a theft claim, as well as a crash...