Jauron's idea to fire Turk

sharper802

Why does everyone think Ralph initiated the firing? The newspaper guys are even wrinting it. I know DJ hardly ever has an original idea or a spine, but Turk's own comments pretty much prove it was DJ. Do you honestly think Ralph was the guy telling him to simplify the offense and "was on his back all offseason"? If it had been Ralph why attack DJ after getting canned? It makes no sense to attack him in the media if you want another job in the NFL. He let his emotions and highly likely the truth as he saw it come out.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can definitely agree that it was DJ's idea to fire Schonert. If of course you ignore DJ's entire tenure in Buffalo and RW's 50 year ownership of the Bills.

DJ's loyalty and RW's meddling cannot be ignored here. Although I will say the guy had to go, he never should have been hired in the first place.

Why does everyone think Ralph initiated the firing? The newspaper guys are even wrinting it. I know DJ hardly ever has an original idea or a spine, but Turk's own comments pretty much prove it was DJ. Do you honestly think Ralph was the guy telling him to simplify the offense and "was on his back all offseason"? If it had been Ralph why attack DJ after getting canned? It makes no sense to attack him in the media if you want another job in the NFL. He let his emotions and highly likely the truth as he saw it come out.

What does it matter? Turk is gone. Time will tell if it is the correct choice.

I can definitely agree that it was DJ's idea to fire Schonert. If of course you ignore DJ's entire tenure in Buffalo and RW's 50 year ownership of the Bills.

DJ's loyalty and RW's meddling cannot be ignored here. Although I will say the guy had to go, he never should have been hired in the first place.

Why do you call it meddling? If you owned the Bills would you sit back and never make a decision no matter how bad things get? Would you just hope your employees fix everything? I just don't get it. Wilson does nothing and gets bashed. He tries to fix something and gets bashed. I don't agree with a lot of Wilson's moves but the guy could make the ticket prices $0 and people would find something to complain about. I'm glad he fired Schonert, just wish Jauron went with him.

Guest dog14787

DJ needed a scapegoat

To late now, but the correct choice would to have been fire DJ's sorry arss at the end of last season. DJ is the one that allowed this to happen, he's the one that pressed Turk Shonert to change his offense even though DJ doesn't have the expertise to make that call , so what do we get, we get another OC who has never been an OC before promoted up, stuck using a system that is already broken. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying AVP will not make a good OC in this league, but we damn sure made it awful hard for AVP to succeed :thumbsup:

Good point. I now believe it was Jauron who made the decision, and Ralph and the players backed him up.

DJ needed a scapegoat

To late now, but the correct choice would to have been fire DJ's sorry arss at the end of last season. DJ is the one that allowed this to happen, he's the one that pressed Turk Shonert to change his offense even though DJ doesn't have the expertise to make that call , so what do we get, we get another OC who has never been an OC before promoted up, stuck using a system that is already broken. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying AVP will not make a good OC in this league, but we damn sure made it awful hard for AVP to succeed :thumbsup:

While I agree Dick should have been fired, I think he has enough football expertise to know a CRAPPY offense when he sees one.

Guest dog14787
Good point. I now believe it was Jauron who made the decision, and Ralph and the players backed him up.

The players backed him up, do you mean after all was said and done?

Players like Lee Evans seemed a little shell shocked in my opinion.

Why do you call it meddling? If you owned the Bills would you sit back and never make a decision no matter how bad things get? Would you just hope your employees fix everything? I just don't get it. Wilson does nothing and gets bashed. He tries to fix something and gets bashed. I don't agree with a lot of Wilson's moves but the guy could make the ticket prices $0 and people would find something to complain about. I'm glad he fired Schonert, just wish Jauron went with him.

He's meddling because, even when he has some of the best people in the business, like Polian, running his team, he screws it up. He really is basically Al Davis, without the personality.

By the way, he's not alone. I'd say the same about Snyder and Jones. I'm sure there are more, ut those are the only two that immediately came to mind...

Guest dog14787
While I agree Dick should have been fired, I think he has enough football expertise to know a CRAPPY offense when he sees one.

We also looked crappy last season, waiting until a week before the new season starts to pull the plug on Shonert is just wrong. :rolleyes:

Tearing apart our O-line was wrong :thumbsup:

Who the F#@k is running this organization, I'm one of the most optimistic people on the face of the Earth, but F#@k me to tears :unsure:

Yep... It was Dick's call all the way. Of course it was his choice. Either can Turk, or be canned himself.

Jauron...."I wasn't really even thinking of firing him 3 days ago"....

Translation: "Then, Mr. Wison called me up and had a "come to Jesus" conversion with me that really enlightened me. It was really a great conversation and I told Mr. Wison how much I really appreciated his wisdom, and really agreed that Turk was a really bad OC and he really needed to be really fired".

What I find interesting is that people think it was either DJ OR RW.....

I tend to believe it was a mixture of the two......DJ is desperate........he knows this team is floundering and does not know how to fix it.

Then you have a owner who really needs to take the blame for where this team is at overall but in his mindset will not do that.....so he is looking at DJ.......

They talked.....boss aint happy....do something....offense would be a good place to start......Turk gone

KnightRider answered the question with one minor exception: Teams in which owners run the show do not win. Does anyone ever hear of the Rooney family talking to their coach? Or how about the Mara/Tisch families? Perhaps Bob Kraft, Jim Irsay, et al. The trend here is that owners with a hands-on approach rarely get results. Jones' Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in 13 years. Mike Brown has 1 playoff berth in 18 seasons. Al Davis is, well, Al Davis. And Ralph isn't much better than those three.

Want to dissect his press conference, then there is this quote. "There's clearly a lot of fault here, not just Turk, and I'm willing to accept certainly my share of that."

Now put yourself in Jauron's shoes and assume this was an order from higher up.

You get an order to fire one of your staff immediately. You call your boss and state that you're dead set against it. He's doing a good job and we just need to be patient and the timing is horrible, you are coming up on an important deadline and plans are already in full swing. Your boss disses your authority and tells you to fire the guy now or you are both fired. Fire the guy and tell him it was your idea. Oh and by the way, hold a press conference by yourself and take all the responsibilty for this decision on yourself. And, you're so afraid to lose your job that you throw a loyal and valuable employee that you really want to keep under the bus, telling him you decided to let him go because he wasn't doing what you wanted, and then hold a press conference and say, "There's clearly a lot of fault here, not just Turk, and I'm willing to accept certainly my share of that."

Don't think so.

Far more likely, it is what Jauron said it was. Things are going badly. The stench is palpable. He has to do something and he's butting heads with a guy on his staff. Things are regressing and not progressing. He decides he might have to make a bold move because it is dysfunctional and going nowhere. He calls his bosses and tells them what he is thinking. They may be surprised or not but understand the reasons and sign off on it. He fires the guy and they try their best to move forward.

Want to dissect his press conference, then there is this quote. "There's clearly a lot of fault here, not just Turk, and I'm willing to accept certainly my share of that."

Now put yourself in Jauron shoes and assume this was an order from higher up.

You get an order to fire one of your staff immediately. You call your boss and state that your dead set against it. He's doing a good job and we just need to be patient and the timing is horrible, you are coming up on an important deadline and plans are already in full swing. Your boss disses your authority and tells you to fire the guy now or you are both fired. Fire the guy and tell him it was your idea. Oh and by the way, hold a press conference by yourself and take all the responsibilty for this decision on yourself. And, you're so afraid to lose your job that you throw a loyal and valuable employee that you really want to keep under the bus, telling him you decided to let him go because he wasn't doing what you wanted, and then hold a press conference and say, "There's clearly a lot of fault here, not just Turk, and I'm willing to accept certainly my share of that."

Don't think so.

To me all of this is irrelevent because you cant go out and beat teams that have their act together with this kind of internal turmoil.

DJ is a dead man walking......no pun intended

In the long run, it doesn't likely matter. In the short term, if Wilson made the call, then he is ready to accept the consequences of making the call and will likely tolerate an adjustment period by the offense. If DJ made the call, Wilson likely told him "its your a$$" if this doesn't work, and he's shown the door by week 4-5 if the offense flounders, especially since RW pushed for this very move when it should have been made.

To me all of this is irrelevent because you cant go out and beat teams that have their act together with this kind of internal turmoil.

DJ is a dead man walking......no pun intended

I agree, my friend. This is just a really awkward and really public affirmation that Jauron made yet another bad hire and made a major mistake after last season in not taking aggressive steps to revamp his staff and bring in the best coaching minds that he could get. After the 2-8 collapse, complacency should've been the furthest thing from anyone's mind.

I guess I'm just sort of tired of the "I hope Ralph dies, every bad decision is his fault" and "Jauron is a victim of venomous fate" rhetoric. Especially when that doesn't add up.

Well, there is always next year. :rolleyes:

The players backed him up, do you mean after all was said and done?

Players like Lee Evans seemed a little shell shocked in my opinion.

I don't think Trent or Lee liked Schonert or his offense, but didn't expect to see him actually get fired before the season started. And it doesn't sound like they're sad to see him go.

Far more likely, it is what Jauron said it was. Things are going badly. The stench is palpable. He has to do something and he's butting heads with a guy on his staff. Things are regressing and not progressing. He decides he might have to make a bold move because it is dysfunctional and going nowhere. He calls his bosses and tells them what he is thinking. They may be surprised or not but understand the reasons and sign off on it. He fires the guy and they try their best to move forward.

I agree. Jauron is fiercely loyal to his staff. One example was that he never canned Shoop as his OC even though everyone was calling for it in Chicago. However, I think the big difference is that Shoop was onboard with what Jauraon wanted. Turk wasn't and nor was he willing to be flexible as things were getting worse.