Target and Kohl's have told the Salvation Army

OnTheRocks

Couple of months ago T and I were leaving Sam's Club with our stockpile of paper towel, t.p., laundry detergent, et al.  There was a Boy Scout group selling stuff, and having been a Boy Scout as a kid, I went over to buy a candy bar or whatever they were selling - supporting a good cause and all that.  Turns out they were hawking boxes with 3 microwavable popcorn bags in each box.  I explained that neither of us ate popcorn, but put 3 bucks on the table as a donation, and we headed toward the Jeep.

One of the kids chases us down and tells us that the popcorn was $18 per box, and if we were too cheap to buy a box they didn't want or need the $3!!!!

Needless to say, the two times I've seen them sense, I just walk on by ignoring them with my nose in the air.  I figure it's better than giving them a  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: .

Fricking brats.

114010[/snapback]

$18/box !?! Damn!!

$18/box !?!  Damn!!

114023[/snapback]

No kidding. Teresa and I couldn't believe it.

If they were $5, I would have picked one up and given it to our neighbor's kids, but that just seemed too much to pay for 3 bags of popcorn I'll never eat.

This may be something of a skewed view, but I think this is total BS. The fact of the matter is...at least to me...there have ALWAYS been Salvation Army people sitting outside stores during the holiday seasons...bundled up, ringing their bell, never asking for a thing. It's a part of the holiday flavor to me. Christmas decorations, caroling, Charlie Brown, Grinch, Wonderful Life, and Salvation Army folks.

Those bells say it's Christmas time.

Whomever pushed to make this stop needs a visit from the "Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come."

It's a part of the holiday flavor to me. Christmas decorations, caroling, Charlie Brown, Grinch, Wonderful Life, and Salvation Army folks.

Those bells say it's Christmas time.

Careful there Paco - you're starting to sound sensitive. :blink:

That's pretty much the way they do it, in my experience.

This story really rubs me the wrong way.  Sounds to me like a few idiots made enough noise to stamp out the good people who don't see a problem with the practice.  As usual.

113689[/snapback]

Exactly.

Couple of months ago T and I were leaving Sam's Club with our stockpile of paper towel, t.p., laundry detergent, et al.  There was a Boy Scout group selling stuff, and having been a Boy Scout as a kid, I went over to buy a candy bar or whatever they were selling - supporting a good cause and all that.  Turns out they were hawking boxes with 3 microwavable popcorn bags in each box.  I explained that neither of us ate popcorn, but put 3 bucks on the table as a donation, and we headed toward the Jeep.

One of the kids chases us down and tells us that the popcorn was $18 per box, and if we were too cheap to buy a box they didn't want or need the $3!!!!

Needless to say, the two times I've seen them sense, I just walk on by ignoring them with my nose in the air.  I figure it's better than giving them a  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: .

Fricking brats.

114010[/snapback]

Sounds like those kids need a lesson in something other than sales.....

Speaking as an officer of our local United Fund, we try to make sure everyone who donates money to our campaign - whether it's a corporation handing us a $5000 check, or an elderly lady digging a couple of $1 bills out of her change purse - knows how much we appreciate their thoughtfulness, and that we'll use their donation to help the people of our community.

Fricking brats.

114010[/snapback]

I decided the BSA could go to hell when the refused to accept my son into Cub Scouts. His speech made him difficult to understand and the den mother said he could only join if a parent would be at all the meetings (meaning we'd have to take off afternoons to do so),

And to add insult to injury the B word never gave us our dues check back although the kid never went to one meeting. The BSA cashed it.

Of course I could have sued for discrimination but why bother. I didn't want my kid hanging around those hypocrites anyway.

Frickin brats obviously get it from their a-hole parents.

I hate it when the SA set up right on the exit door as you leave, so you feel like you're being crowded towards them. I'd rather they set up about 4-6 feet away, so if I want to donate, I can easily walk over.

On another note, here at one of the malls, they use one of those big kettles, about 5-6 feet across. What's fun is they set it up in an area where you can stand on the floor above and try to pitch your change into the small opening in the center, until security comes along to stop you.

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the new, intolerant America!!! Hey, who do you think was complaining, the "religious right?" I dont think so.

Salvation Army Bells, ice cream truck bells and loud air conditioners in NYC, smoking in bars, and kids in restaurants are merely some of the things that the "liberalsim is my religion left" want removed from their greedy, intolerant lives.

This is only the beginning.

This is national - WalMart was the first to ban the SA before the others decided they liked the idea as well.

118530[/snapback]

A number of places have not allowed the SA to solicit donations in front of their entrances for some time. I believe Wal Mart leaves the decision to its local managers. I do want to give a bit of input, having worked closely with a number of SA's over the years on a professional level. Nationaly, and internationaly as well, the SA has seen declining revenues from their kettle program. This is probably due to a number of things, not the least of which is ever increasing competition for the charitable dollar, and more sophisticated fund raising techniques on the part of the SA's competitors. Competitors which include your own church, your alma maters, and other local, regional, national, and international charities. In addition, the SA has had an extraordinarily difficult time recruiting volunteers for this task over the past decade or so. Many of the bell ringers you see are in fact paid tenporary employees. Couple that with declining revenues, and you will find that most SA bell ringing stations net less than 15 dollars per hour. Both Kohls and Target are extremely generous companies as regards their community support. They also have some fairly high standards as regards the charities they support, not the least of which is a measurable return on donated dollars. Not a return measured in terms of units of service, rather a return measured in terms of a lasting impact on the people or community the charity serves. I do not suppose to speak for either corporation (Kohls or Target), but I can tell you it is possible that the SA was unable or unwilling to meet certain standards these companies have regarding the above. Before anyone freaks out and tells me that donated dollars do not come from the companies, they come from individuals; allowing a charity, or any organization for that matter, to directly solicit customers is a huge in kind contribution, and clearly it is one that these companies are putting some serious thought into. Just my two cents.