Vikings testing waters with Tarvaris Jackson

Billadelphia

Outside of Peterson, name a skill player who you'd trade up position for position with Vikings?

Well you said skill so that rules out the entire offensive line which I would take in a heartbeat over what we have right now. I'll take Visanthe Shiancoe over any of our current TE's. WRs I would say we've got them beat although Sidney Rice is progressing very well. Chester Taylor is a great 2nd RB, but looks like he might be slowing down a bit now. And yes I'll say it, I'd take Favre over Edwards any day of the week.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break it to you, but right now and comparing Tavaris' last 4 games and pre-season versus Trent Edward's last 4 games and pre-season, it's fairly obvious that TJ is the better QB.

Trent looks like he's lost all confidence in his decision-making ability. The Trent Edwards who used to make quick decisions, get the ball downfield, and move the chains has been replaced by Trentative Checkwards, who scans the field once and looks for the 2 yard safety valve. I put it on this disaster of a coaching staff we have. They couldn't nurture a young QB if their life depended on it. All Trent needs to do is hop in place and pat the ball and we'd have JP minus the arm.

Coincidence that both these guys struggled in Buffalo and looked lost reading defenses and getting rid of the ball? Not when the common denominator is Limp Dick Jauron.

Week 15: Cards

-It certainly helps your case as a QB when your RB rushes for 165 yards and sets the franchise record for his 9th 100 yard game in one season. It also helps when your WR runs a punt back for an 82 yard touchdown, and the other team's offense is turning the ball over like it's a hot potato.

:censored:<_<:wallbash: The guy threw for FOUR TOUCHDOWNS in that game and your trying to attribute that to his runningback recording his 9th 100 yard game that day and a punt return? Wow. Oh and his defense was creating turnovers because it's their job. Just like it's his job to capitalize on them. Which is precisely what he did. I'm not even a big fan of Jackson's but the arguments you're trying to make against him are laughable.

If the statement is made that Jackson suck because he couldn't cut it in Vikings' superior O, I'd like to see Vikings talent in the offensive skill positions relative to Buffalo.

I can make an argument that Vikings made the playoffs, despite not having offensive talent outside Peterson.

Yeah, but you're ignoring what made Minnesota's offense so good (besides Peterson.) The O-line.

:censored:<_<:wallbash: The guy threw for FOUR TOUCHDOWNS in that game and your trying to attribute that to his runningback recording his 9th 100 yard game that day and a punt return? Wow. Oh and his defense was creating turnovers because it's their job. Just like it's his job to capitalize on them. Which is precisely what he did. I'm not even a big fan of Jackson's but the arguments you're trying to make against him are laughable.

I'd be ECSTATIC if Edwards threw 4 TDs in one game this year!

It's not that Jackson is that good is the reason we should pick him up - it's that the Bills QBs are that ungifted - Trent Edwards makes Lee Evans worthless, one of them should go. Jackson could be this years Pennington- the QB that Favre replaces who plays better than Favre.

Yeah, but you're ignoring what made Minnesota's offense so good (besides Peterson.) The O-line.

So to recap, the superior Vikings offense is superior in no aspect where the QB can make a real difference?

Please get off the horses that Vikings' offense was some juggernaut that Jackson held back. He's an ok player on an ok offense that has the league's best RB.

Week 17: Giants

- The Giants were already comfortably in the playoffs, they had nothing at stake. They played David Carr at QB for Christ's sake. The Vikings could still barely beat them. It helps when Adrian Peterson is running for 67 yard touchdowns and they're kicking 50-something yard field goals as time expires to beat the Giants' second string.

Week 16: Falcons

-Solid game by Jackson

Week 15: Cards

-It certainly helps your case as a QB when your RB rushes for 165 yards and sets the franchise record for his 9th 100 yard game in one season. It also helps when your WR runs a punt back for an 82 yard touchdown, and the other team's offense is turning the ball over like it's a hot potato.

Week 14: Lions (nuff' said)

- Jackson barely played in this one, and it was against the worst team in NFL history, and oh yeah.. Peterson rushed for over 100 yards again.

Look, the guy can certainly be solid at times. But in Minnesota, he's not the focal point of the offense. He just has to not make mistakes. In Buffalo, we have a no huddle air attack. The QB is the focal point. I really don't want a guy who is struggling to not make mistakes in one offense, coming in to one where he's gotta be the main guy. I would certainly want him on my team to develop, but I wouldn't want him on the field right away and I wouldn't give up a decent draft pick for him.

While I understand your stance, I can't exactly say that a guy that threw for 9 TDs and 2 picks is struggling not to make mistakes. Granted, he does have an outstanding running game around him, but I still see more from him in terms of productivity when he's put in the position to succeed.

Case-in-point: Arizona turns the ball over 3 times in week 15 and Jackson makes them pay to the tune of 4 TDs passing. Now I realize that Buffalo hasn't had many games in which they create that many turnovers, but look at the ones in which they have: 6 times against Dallas on MNF, Edwards leads the offense to 3 points, 3 times vs. Oakland in week 3, and only once did it lead to points (a 14 yard TD run on 3rd down by Lynch), etc.

Regarding the OL point that some other posters have made, Jackson was sacked ~ 3 times per game last season, so it's pretty much a wash in terms of pass protection.

My point is simply that I believe Jackson is underrated, and could potentially challenge Edwards for the starting role here. If he cost a mere 4th or 5th round pick, I think it'd be crazy not to go after him.

While I understand your stance, I can't exactly say that a guy that threw for 9 TDs and 2 picks is struggling not to make mistakes. Granted, he does have an outstanding running game around him, but I still see more from him in terms of productivity when he's put in the position to succeed.

Case-in-point: Arizona turns the ball over 3 times in week 15 and Jackson makes them pay to the tune of 4 TDs passing. Now I realize that Buffalo hasn't had many games in which they create that many turnovers, but look at the ones in which they have: 6 times against Dallas on MNF, Edwards leads the offense to 3 points, 3 times vs. Oakland in week 3, and only once did it lead to points (a 14 yard TD run on 3rd down by Lynch), etc.

Regarding the OL point that some other posters have made, Jackson was sacked ~ 3 times per game last season, so it's pretty much a wash in terms of pass protection.

My point is simply that I believe Jackson is underrated, and could potentially challenge Edwards for the starting role here. If he cost a mere 4th or 5th round pick, I think it'd be crazy not to go after him.

If only you an I ran the organization. I LOVE all of the speculation and the idea. Unfortunately I think EVERY single one of us here knows it's not going to happen because Jackson could challenge and likely beat out Edwards for the starting job.

Somewhere in some back office a few years ago when they pulled the rug out from under another guy that probably wasn't the answer they decided Trent was our savior and the Bills' and Jauron and staff's future was tied to him.

I don't even know where to start with you people trying to argue that he's a good QB based on a 4 game stretch. JP Losman had more touchdowns in his first year starting than Trent has in his entire career. Your moronic thinking would lead to JP being the better QB.

Let's ignore the fact that the Vikings have been trying to find an alternative at QB every year that he's been there. I'm sure that means nothing. After the 4 game performance that so many of you are now annointing him better than Trent, his coach and front office went and TRADED for a new starting QB, and THEN upgraded again in signing Favre. Your amazing QB is now 3rd on the depth chart and they're listening to offers to dump his azz.

But that doesn't matter, his stats in 4 games make him unstoppable!!!!

I don't even know where to start with you people trying to argue that he's a good QB based on a 4 game stretch. JP Losman had more touchdowns in his first year starting than Trent has in his entire career. Your moronic thinking would lead to JP being the better QB.

Let's ignore the fact that the Vikings have been trying to find an alternative at QB every year that he's been there. I'm sure that means nothing. After the 4 game performance that so many of you are now annointing him better than Trent, his coach and front office went and TRADED for a new starting QB, and THEN upgraded again in signing Favre. Your amazing QB is now 3rd on the depth chart and they're listening to offers to dump his azz.

Please make a case for how good Trent is and how worthy as a starter he is using any 4 game stretch YOU like <_< PLEASE include Trent's stats and what made him so good. I won't bother waiting for a response because I know you can't provide a better case for him starting :censored:

Please make a case for how good Trent is and how worthy as a starter he is using any 4 game stretch YOU like <_< PLEASE include Trent's stats and what made him so good. I won't bother waiting for a response because I know you can't provide a better case for him starting :censored:

Please tell me what Trent has to do with this, or why all of a sudden we're comparing the two. I never said anything about him being better or worse than Trent. Some idiot actually referred to me as a Trent apologist. Where are you helmet droolers getting that from?

And to all of you who think a shotgun passing attack with a no huddle offense and two pro bowl type receivers doesn't make the QB the focal point of the offense, you're in for a rude awakening once the season starts.

JP is a better QB

Please tell me what Trent has to do with this, or why all of a sudden we're comparing the two. I never said anything about him being better or worse than Trent. Some idiot actually referred to me as a Trent apologist. Where are you helmet droolers getting that from?

And to all of you who think a shotgun passing attack with a no huddle offense and two pro bowl type receivers doesn't make the QB the focal point of the offense, you're in for a rude awakening once the season starts.

What Trent has to do with this is the ENTIRE THREAD is about bringing in Travaris Jackson as a backup who would obvious challenge Trent for the starting job. The fact that he has put up better numbers than Trent not only more than qualifies him as a valid backup for our team but also makes him a legitimate replacement for Trent. If you're saying a great 4 game stint doesn't qualify him to back Trent up, I'm asking you to provide a 4 game stint that qualifies Trent as the starter.

What Trent has to do with this is the ENTIRE THREAD is about bringing in Travaris Jackson as a backup who would obvious challenge Trent for the starting job. The fact that he has put up better numbers than Trent not only more than qualifies him as a valid backup for our team but also makes him legitimate replacement for Trent. If you're saying a great 4 game stint doesn't qualify him to back Trent up, I'm asking you to provide a 4 game stint that qualifies Trent as the starter.

The thread was about which QB was a better backup, Fitzpatrick or Jackson. But nice try.

Does it always come down to this with you, Ans?

Honestly. Just b/c people don't agree with your opinion doesn't make them moronic, and I don't recall anyone saying that Jackson was "unstoppable". All I said was that I felt he could challenge Trent for the starting job, and I don't see any argument (especially from you) that makes me think any different.

And I'm curious, if Jackson is so lousy, why did numerous outlets (Adam Schefter of ESPN, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network,and the Vikings' own head coach, Brad Childress ) report that there's a faction of the Vikings locker room that prefers Jackson over Favre?