"If you dont shut that baby up,

DrDawkinstein

Well as the parents of a 1 day old infant, I can tell you that if i saw this happen or it happened to my kid, the guy would be dead. If anyone suggests that what he did was ok, you'd be punched into the middle of next week, but kept alive to realize that you're a complete choad.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as the parents of a 1 day old infant, I can tell you that if i saw this happen or it happened to my kid, the guy would be dead. If anyone suggests that what he did was ok, you'd be punched into the middle of next week, but kept alive to realize that you're a complete choad.

but wouldnt you think, as a responsible attentive non-selfish parent... that it would never come to this?

Yes, I think there needs to be a happy medium. It's just a personal opinion, and it's nowhere as simple as this, but you're a buddy when they need a buddy and you're a parent when they need a parent.

completely agree. and unfortunately, the parent in the original story just refused to be a parent...

but wouldnt you think, as a responsible attentive non-selfish parent... that it would never come to this?

I wouldn't continue to shop and ignore my screaming baby. On the other hand, if it happens, it happens. If someone has a problem with it, i have absolutely no problem if they'd tell me that my kid was annoying them. Yeah, i'd take offense, but i'd totally understand. However, the actions of that man meant an instant beatdown even if my kid were annoying him. It's also reasonable to understand that you do not understand the intricacies of a crying baby and that you have your opinion on the internet. I'm also very confident, that if you personally saw a child you would not want to beat him out of your own good heart and because of the backlash that you read in this thread. Trust me when i say this: if you even make a move at any child, every father within earshot will be on you like flies on sh--, and you'd have to be wheeled away. But again, i'm sure that if you were actually thrust into the situation, you'd be fine.

fixed

But to him, I'm a parent when he needs a parent. I don't expect someone who doesn't want to be their child's friend to understand that, and I'm not saying my way is better than yours. I'm honestly not. But at my son's young age, he will randomly ask me "Dad, are we buddies?" and I have no idea how you say "No, I'm just here to raise you."

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but let's assume that you are. If you can't keep your TWO YEAR OLD child quiet in public then you are an irresponsible, non-attentive and selfish parent? Please.

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but let's assume that you are. If you can't keep your TWO YEAR OLD child quiet in public then you are an irresponsible, non-attentive and selfish parent? Please.

no, not keep them perfectly quiet. but when the kid is obviously throwing a tantrum (long enough to annoy someone to come over and comment, and then continue shopping, and then circle back around) and the parent doesnt do anything to stop it or remove the child from the area... then THAT is irresponsible and non-attentive.

you guys can jump all over me because i dont have children of my own. but i have PLENTY of friends who have toddlers/infants, and when we are out someplace (be it a store, or restaurant, or where ever) if the child goes off, the parents remove them from the area so they do not bother everyone else.

THAT is responsible parenting. not only taking action with your child, but thinking about everyone else who doesnt need your bratty kid screaming in their ear.

THAT is responsible parenting. not only taking action with your child, but thinking about everyone else who doesnt need your bratty kid screaming in their ear.

If you honestly think that all crying babies are "bratty kid(s)," then I'm hard pressed to question whether you're better off never having kids, or hoping you have one in the near future so you can figure out just how absolutely, positively ridiculous you sound. What you're suggesting...that you take a crying baby to a place away from others in a public setting where you can help stop the crying...is accurate. But to unquestionably assume that the baby is crying because it's a brat being raised by a bad parent is just embarrassing on your behalf, and you'd do well to stop commenting on something for which you clearly have absolutely no knowledge.

If you honestly think that all crying babies are "bratty kid(s)," then I'm hard pressed to question whether you're better off never having kids, or hoping you have one in the near future so you can figure out just how absolutely, positively ridiculous you sound. What you're suggesting...that you take a crying baby to a place away from others in a public setting where you can help stop the crying...is accurate. But to unquestionably assume that the baby is crying because it's a brat being raised by a bad parent is just embarrassing on your behalf, and you'd do well to stop commenting on something for which you clearly have absolutely no knowledge.

I think it's reasonable to label most any kid who's throwing an unholy tantrum in public as "acting bratty".

I also think that parents who let that behavior persist are acting like bad parents.

Which was pretty much his point, I thought.

Thanks LA, that about covers what my response was going to be. The only thing that I'd add DrD is maybe you should offer to babysit some of your friends infants and toddlers a few times and see how that turns out.

I think it's reasonable to label most any kid who's throwing an unholy tantrum in public as "acting bratty".

I also think that parents who let that behavior persist are acting like bad parents.

I stand corrected. There is a difference between an unholy tantrum and a crying baby. But if you're standing in line with a baby that is teething, or is sick, and you're picking up a prescription, and the baby is crying loudly because of the pain or discomfort, that does not mean they're a bratty kid.

If either of my children ( 4 and 1.5) are causing a disturbance in public then I remove them from the area until they calm down. However, there is a difference between an all out kicking and screaming tantrum and a "weeping toddler" as quoted in the original article.

I stand corrected. There is a difference between an unholy tantrum and a crying baby. But if you're standing in line with a baby that is teething, or is sick, and you're picking up a prescription, and the baby is crying loudly because of the pain or discomfort, that does not mean they're a bratty kid.

That's an excellent point, and one most non-parents wouldn't even consider. I certainly didn't, because even though I've had to discipline my nieces (particularly my incredibly-spoiled older one) when they act up in public, I've never had to nurse them when they're sick.

thank you!

this is the only point im trying to make and im a little surprised by the holier-than-thou responses im getting.

im not saying that it's easy to raise a kid and to always make sure they arent crying. i fully understand that there are certain circumstances that a child will have good reason to be crying.

i dont expect the child to know better. BUT i DO expect the parent to know better.

if you child is teething and is constantly crying, than they shouldnt be out in a restaurant to begin with. again, that is selfish parenting to inflict that on everyone else who went out to enjoy their dinner.

YOU decided to have kids. sorry if it makes it inconvenient for you to go out. but it shouldnt be everyone else's problem.

btw, i'm a great babysitter and do so all the time. i am completely aware that sometimes babies/toddlers are going to cry for whatever reason. if i see a parent TRYING to do something about it, that's all i need to see.

OBVIOUSLY, the parent in the original story did nothing. you want to make an excuse for the kid because it said she was "weeping". i read that as crying because she wasnt going to get the toy she wanted and the parent tuned it out and went into ignore mode. yes, the gentleman completely overreacted in the worst way.

but my point still stands. had the parent done what MY parents would have done and picked me up and said "that's it, if you continue to act this way, we wont bring you to the store to look at toys anymore", this entire thing would have never happened in the first place.

you guys can say all you want "you shouldnt have kids" or "you dont know what it's like". bull sh--, i have younger sisters and cousins and nephews and nieces and I've helped raise and babysit MANY children. it's definitely not easy, and i can see how a parent would get "used to it" and just tune out their kid. but that is lazy, selfish parenting. end of story.

i agree 100% with that. but i was referring to the story with the little girl crying in the store, and crying children in restaurants and the such...